• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Are American youths rejecting Christianity because of Evangelical Fundamentalism?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Marc Perry, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,966
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I'd just like to point out that the term was first popularized in the leadup to the 2016 election to refer to deliberately false news reports created by Russian trolls (perhaps or perhaps not working on behest of their government) designed to influence American voters to vote Republican. Only later did Trump and his followers appropriate the term to mean any news story (true or otherwise) that they disagreed with or made them look bad.

2. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,433
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I don't know about American youth, but globally, it seems the chief enemy is apathy. Keep the word "Jesus" out of their ears.

3. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+14
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Where are you from?

4. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,433
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I am FROM the US....

5. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+14
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    It's hard to justify placing the blame on American fundamentalists for what has happened globally concerning church attendance and the 'spreading the word' thing. Especially since I think it was a trend before they got so much power. But for me, a lot of people I know who were raised in the church, and some statistics I read (I know, statistics ... don't attack me on that) the reason we left the church was because of the evangelicals, even though we weren't even evangelical. I have lived in other parts of the world and have seen people from other countries, especially from England, turn against Christianity because they think it's all about American-style fundamentalism. That is how far it has spread.

About the apathy thing ... I don't think it's the word you meant. I think what your getting at is the thought 'Maybe this is true, maybe not ... whatever'. That's ambivalence. The reason I make the distinction is because ambivalence doesn't imply a lack of spiritual yearning like the word apathy does.

6. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,945
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Where did you get the notion that Christianity was meant to be spiritual?

7. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,185
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Fine. Let them be disqualified from entering the Kingdom of God. Sin is sin, end of story. The Bible prohibits murder, rape, theft, slander. Are they ok with that too? How about explaining why God prohibits homosexuality? Your daughters struggle with the will of God. That is not surprising. The world rejects God's authority.
    John 7:5-7
    "..........For not even His brothers were believing in Him. So Jesus said to them, “My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune. “The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil.""

Satan is coming out into the open more and more. People seem to think that they can do as they please without consequences. Wrong. Check out the news. God is not happy.

8. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,035
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Thats capitalism: half a trillion $ of effort dedicated to the imagery of consumer identity creation, much of which is targeted at your kids.

9. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+306
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I don't believe there is a kingdom of god. They do. This is the problem they are have. They just have reasonable questions. When they are confronted with this type of response from Christians it turns them off when people like me don't care about someones gender or sexuality. If thinking that someone having homosexual sex is OK disqualifies someone from the kingdom of god that speaks more about what you believe about your gods morals than it does my daughters for having reasonable questions.

Of course not. Those "sins" hurt others, how does homosexual sex between consenting people hurt anyone?

I might share your comments with them and see what their reaction is. The truth is they are trying to follow Gods authority but they want it to make sense and be reasonable. I am teaching them that I don't care what they believe necessarily but they should have good reasons for what they believe and how to determine what is true. I hope that they come to the conclusion some day that this is unsubstantiated nonsense.

This is the best time to live in the history of the world by a lot of metrics. There are bad things happening and we need to strive to correct those things. But we need to solve these problems with reason and science. The bible says that there will always be poor people and that the world will get more sinful as time goes on until the tribulation then it will get even worse. This can lead Christians to focus on the afterlife instead making things better in this life.

10. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,257
    Anglican
    Married
    According to what the average teenager thinks makes sense and is "reasonable," you mean. When I think back to what I thought was reasonable and made sense when I was in my teens, it makes me shudder.

11. Clizby WampusCat

+306
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    That is why as parents you guide and teach them how to think and give wisdom from your life experience for them to ponder. Teenagers are just as smart as anyone else and they can accomplish a lot if they can be taught how to think and how to determine truth. Teenagers will push back on older people that write them off like this, but they respond to people that treat their ideas with respect even if you disagree with those ideas. They are willing to listen and consider what you are saying to them. Telling them they are unreasonable like you have and treating them as such will make them apathetic towards you.

My daughters are believers because for most of their life I was a believer. Even though we differ on faith they are willing to talk to me and consider my ideas as I consider their ideas about faith. I don't tell them their faith is nonsense or anything like that and they don't tell me I am a fool like many Christians do. I will let them come to their own conclusions while discussing the merits of their conclusions, they do the same with me.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,257
    Anglican
    Married
    Refresh my memory, please. Where or when did I say that?

13. Clizby WampusCat

+306
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    When you put reasonable in quotation marks I can only conclude you mean they are not reasonable hence unreasonable.

14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,257
    Anglican
    Married
    That would be a mistake then. The quotes mean that I was responding to the bigger point without, at the same time, automatically seeming to accept your choice of words.

15. Clizby WampusCat

+306
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    So you do think that teenagers are reasonable then and can have good ideas worth considering? If so, what was your point of your comment?

16. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,623
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, I'm sure that's in play for some folks, but I think it's unfair if we think it's all about Evangelicals rigid politicization. I think the sad reality is there have been too many high profile examples of Christians of all stripes who are poor ambassadors for the faith. Many young people look at those folk and think the whole thing stinks of hypocrisy. In addition to rigid politicization of the faith by some Christians, there are events like mega church pastors in million dollar jets, priests abusing kids, church hierarchy covering up child abuse, high profile TV preachers' getting caught in sex scandals, and Bible university president's seeming double standard about sexual morals. The Bible says you will know us by our fruit, and too much of our fruit stinks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,825
    Christian
    Single
    Or since there was less material to ism.

18. Aussie Pete

+4,185
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    It seems to me that the current crop of young people have no idea about life. Of course, that applies to every generation. Since when has it been acceptable to pick and choose which laws to obey in civil society? Sure, people do. But there are consequences. God's law (far more than 10 commandments) is far higher than man's law. "I don't agree" is not going to cut it with God.

Perhaps you can pass this on to your daughters. "God created mankind in His image. He created them male and female. Full stop. The gender blender alphabet soup brigade are in total rebellion against God's purpose in creating the human race. If a person is born with the physical attributes of a male, that's what he is. Likewise female. Not liking your gender is rebellion against God.

Same sex relationships are likewise rebellion. God's commission to Adam and Eve was to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Same sex relationships cannot produce offspring."

God does not demand that you understand everything. He does expect obedience. Disobedience has consequences. God does not (as yet) punish people directly. He simply allows sinners to do as they please. You may think that the world is a better place. On some criteria, you are correct. On the issue of personal freedoms, equality, justice, the right to work for a fair wage, mental health, drug addiction, freedom of speech, no, the world is not a better place. It's getting worse - just ask the citizens of China and minorities in India. Free speech is under threat in Australia. We have no constitutional right to free speech. Our kids can barely spell, have poor maths skills, lousy grammar and low financial literacy. However, they spend time learning about "gender diversity". Woe betide the individual who questions the education system's priorities.

19. Aussie Pete

+4,185
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Yes, it's the age of Laodicea in the Western world...

20. Marc Perry

Marc Perry New Member

+14
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    The Bible can be interpreted a lot of ways. The earliest complete version we have is from after 300ad. On top of that, it was written in ancient Greek, which is notoriously vague. On top of that, it came from a region that most of the Greeks probably never even heard of, and there are almost no written Greek records from the time and place to compare the language to, at least those that weren't lost. This has caused debates for two thousand years. A lot of those debates have been between very educated people. So saying teenagers are wrong because they doubt you...

The thing is, there are people who are more concerned with the greater meaning, rather than semantics. In America, the people who impose the face of Christianity are more interested in proving they are right than spreading the spirituality of Jesus' teachings.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020