New Jersey
✟9,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not a neo-calvinist, but i am amil. Historically many Calvinists have been amil.

Interesting. I have not seen how the two positions are so connected.

So what is your theology with respect to Zephenaiah 2, Psalm 83, Isaiah 19 etc.?

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The original founders of the US were Calvinist Puritans for the most part and as such were postmil. That is why they came here, avoiding religious persecution notwithstanding. Their idea was to begin a society that was christian and eventually overcome the world by the Gospel. Now there has historicaly been premil Calvinists, John Gill, as well as amil Calvinists. Though the premil Calvinists don't hold to the Dispensational premil view.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've generally found amillenialism is considered "big" in Calvinism because it doesn't have strong advocates elsewhere. Most Reformed seminaries have strongly amillenial professors, too. So it nets out to a greater recognition of amillenialism. I'm not so sure a greater quantity are amil though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah the two are not necessary. Reformed theologians tend towards amillinnialism because of the centrality of Christ in both testaments and the overarching covenants of works and grace. When reformed folk speak of eschatology, many contemporary evangelicals aren't aware of it because it is often in the context of how Christ fulfills the types and shadows of the old covenant and not necessarily what is happening in the present state of Israel. However, there are plenty of Calvinist/reformed folks who are not amil. Up until not too long ago, a good deal of the reformed were postmillennial. So you can be a Calvinist and be pre- post- or amil. However, if you were dispensational premil as opposed to historic/reformed premil, then there's nothing to say that you couldn't still hold to the Doctrines of Grace, but you probably wouldn't consider yourself "reformed" in the full sense of the word.

But amillennialism is not just a reformed/Calvinist thing - the Lutherans are also amil. Some of the neo-calvinists have more of a realized, post-mil-ish type of eschatology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just curious. I seem to encounter that more and more and I'm just wondering if being Amil is part of the tenants of Neo Calvinism. God bless.
No, postmil is big in reformed circles, too. (Historic) premil less so.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason that many Calvinists are amil is because Calvin was amil.
I think you are speaking a wee bit hyperbolically here. ;)

I don't think "many" who are Calvinists wound up with a particular view of the eschaton simply from a blind following of Calvin. Rather, they studied the matter, searched the Scriptures, testing their teachings against those of any person, elder, Calvin, etc., and then moved to their position.

AMR

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are speaking a wee bit hyperbolically here. ;)

I don't think "many" who are Calvinists wound up with a particular view of the eschaton simply from a blind following of Calvin. Rather, they studied the matter, searched the Scriptures, testing their teachings against those of any person, elder, Calvin, etc., and then moved to their position.

AMR

Agreed! To be consistently Reformed also entails that one should be very concerned about learning the Scriptures and Biblical doctrine. As such, Reformed folks should be less inclined to believe doctrines by default without studying them.

Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0