Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys. Been doing some research lately into both the books that some claim were left out of the bible and also comparing many of the versions of the bible that use today. Here are just a few scriptures for comparison. Are these just grammatical differences or does it give a different meaning altogether?

1 John 4:3
(NIV) but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
(ASV) and every spirit that confesseth not Jesus is not of God: and this is the spirit of the antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it cometh; and now it is in the world already.
(BBE) And every spirit which does not say this is not from God: this is the spirit of Antichrist, of which you have had word; and it is in the world even now.
(NIV) but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
(KJV) And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

I Timothy 3:16
(ASV) Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness:
(BBE) Every holy Writing which comes from God is of profit for teaching, for training, for guiding, for education in righteousness:
(KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(ISV) All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Mark 10: 24
(NIV) The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
(CEV) The disciples were shocked to hear this. So Jesus told them again, "It's terribly hard to get into God's kingdom!
(ERV) The followers were amazed at what Jesus said. But he said again, "My children, it is very hard to enter God's kingdom!
(ISV) The disciples were startled by these words, but Jesus told them again, "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in their wealth to get into the kingdom of God!
(KJV) And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

2 Peter 2:9
(ASV) the Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment unto the day of judgment;
(BBE) The Lord is able to keep the upright safe in the time of testing, and to keep evil-doers under punishment till the day of judging;
(CEV) This shows that the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their sufferings and to punish evil people while they wait for the day of judgment.
(KJV) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Revelation 22:14
(ASV) Blessed are they that wash their robes, that they may have the right to come to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.
(ESV) Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
(KJV) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
(WEB) Blessed are those who do his commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.

John 9:4
(ASV) We must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
(BBE) While it is day we have to do the works of him who sent me: the night comes when no work may be done.
(CEV) As long as it is day, we must do what the one who sent me wants me to do. When night comes, no one can work.
(ISV) I must do the work of the one who sent me while it is day. Night is approaching, when no one can work.
(KJV) I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

Acts 13:42
(ASV) And as they went out, they besought that these words might be spoken to them the next sabbath.
(CEV) As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the meeting, the people begged them to say more about these same things on the next Sabbath.
(ISV) As Paul and Barnabas were leaving, the people kept urging them to tell them the same things the next Sabbath.
(KJV) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
(WEB) So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Daniel 3:25
(ASV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the aspect of the fourth is like a son of the gods.
(BBE) He made answer and said, Look! I see four men loose, walking in the middle of the fire, and they are not damaged; and the form of the fourth is like a son of the gods.
(ESV) He answered and said, “But I see four men unbound, walking in the midst of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods.”
(KJV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Mark 7:19
(ASV) because it goeth not into his heart, but into his belly, and goeth out into the draught? This he said, making all meats clean.
(BBE) Because it goes not into the heart but into the stomach, and goes out with the waste? He said this, making all food clean.
(CEV) It doesn't go into your heart, but into your stomach, and then out of your body." By saying this, Jesus meant that all foods were fit to eat.
(KJV) Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
(LITV) This is because it does not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and goes out into the waste-bowl, purging all the foods.
(DRB) Because it entereth not into his heart but goeth into his belly and goeth out into the privy, purging all meats?

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey guys. Been doing some research lately into both the books that some claim were left out of the bible and also comparing many of the versions of the bible that use today. Here are just a few scriptures for comparison. Are these just grammatical differences or does it give a different meaning altogether?

(ASV) and every spirit that confesseth not Jesus is not of God: and this is the spirit of the antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it cometh; and now it is in the world already.
(BBE) And every spirit which does not say this is not from God: this is the spirit of Antichrist, of which you have had word; and it is in the world even now.
(KJV) And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

(ASV) Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness:
(BBE) Every holy Writing which comes from God is of profit for teaching, for training, for guiding, for education in righteousness:
(KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(ISV) All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

(NIV) The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
(CEV) The disciples were shocked to hear this. So Jesus told them again, "It's terribly hard to get into God's kingdom!
(ERV) The followers were amazed at what Jesus said. But he said again, "My children, it is very hard to enter God's kingdom!
(ISV) The disciples were startled by these words, but Jesus told them again, "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in their wealth to get into the kingdom of God!
(KJV) And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

(ASV) the Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment unto the day of judgment;
(BBE) The Lord is able to keep the upright safe in the time of testing, and to keep evil-doers under punishment till the day of judging;
(CEV) This shows that the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their sufferings and to punish evil people while they wait for the day of judgment.
(KJV) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

(ASV) Blessed are they that wash their robes, that they may have the right to come to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.
(ESV) Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
(KJV) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
(WEB) Blessed are those who do his commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.

(ASV) We must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
(BBE) While it is day we have to do the works of him who sent me: the night comes when no work may be done.
(CEV) As long as it is day, we must do what the one who sent me wants me to do. When night comes, no one can work.
(ISV) I must do the work of the one who sent me while it is day. Night is approaching, when no one can work.
(KJV) I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

(ASV) And as they went out, they besought that these words might be spoken to them the next sabbath.
(CEV) As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the meeting, the people begged them to say more about these same things on the next Sabbath.
(ISV) As Paul and Barnabas were leaving, the people kept urging them to tell them the same things the next Sabbath.
(KJV) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
(WEB) So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

(ASV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the aspect of the fourth is like a son of the gods.
(BBE) He made answer and said, Look! I see four men loose, walking in the middle of the fire, and they are not damaged; and the form of the fourth is like a son of the gods.
(ESV) He answered and said, “But I see four men unbound, walking in the midst of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods.”
(KJV) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

(ASV) because it goeth not into his heart, but into his belly, and goeth out into the draught? This he said, making all meats clean.
(BBE) Because it goes not into the heart but into the stomach, and goes out with the waste? He said this, making all food clean.
(CEV) It doesn't go into your heart, but into your stomach, and then out of your body." By saying this, Jesus meant that all foods were fit to eat.
(KJV) Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
(LITV) This is because it does not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and goes out into the waste-bowl, purging all the foods.
(DRB) Because it entereth not into his heart but goeth into his belly and goeth out into the privy, purging all meats?

Eventually you get to the point where you have to use lexicons and concordances to make sure what is translated in English is as accurate an understanding as what the original languages are implying.

Worse yet their is bias in all of the translations... for example the account of Yeshua and the thief when he says to messiah remember me when you come into your kingdom.

The original text does NOT use grammar and where you place the comma in Messiah's response completely changes what he is saying.

There are other obvious problems and arguably the biggest of which is having a willingness to lay down a doctrine that is very appealing but turns out to be false upon deeper study and prayer

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, they are all equally translations. You have to take into account that translation is not a simple process (especially from Hebrew into English) and can be done with several methods in mind. For instance, some translations want to bring a "word for word" manner of translation, trying to equate every single word with a corresponding word. Some translations want to go for "idea for idea" and do a better job of translation the idea of a passage instead of word-for-word that may not be making the idea clear. Some are literal translations which bring construct over word-for-word, removing English grammar rules altogether.

But as was stated above, the biggest problem with translations is that the translation will always be filtered through the beliefs of the translator. So translations is going to be biased to "teach" the doctrines of the translator. To my mind, a translation can never be for serious students of the scripture. No doctrine should ever be formed from a translation. A translation is exactly what it is: a translation, susceptible to doctrinal bias, translational error, ambiguities, and in many case complete removing the structure of the original.

Thus, no translation really matters in regards to any other: they are all the same in purpose; a very general and simplistic form of the original.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Any bible that uses Hort and Westcott translation for its foundation is IMHO from satan. They were followers of Darwin.

There are 10 million textual variants in Bible manuscripts. It is ironic that Fundamentalists who most loudly insist that the Bible is God's inerrant Word use the most corrupt text currently available--the KJV. They fail to realize that the KJV translators lacked access to the earliest and most accurate Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. This lack was filled at the time of Westcott and Hort and the Christian world owes them a debt of gratitude for the purer and more accurate text they produced by a thorough comparison of the best manuscripts with the older ones to determine how the countless errors crept into God's Word. Westcott and Hort pioneered the science of Text Critcism which applies many historical principles to discoverying the process whereby Bible texts got corrupted. Both evangelical and liberal Bible scholars acknowledge the debt of gratitude that we owe to the pioneering work of Westcott an Hort.

How can the average Christian evaluate the various Bible translations. 2 tools are as valuable as any: a good Bible concordance and a Hebrew and Greek interlinear Bible. An interlinear Bible prints the Hebrew and Greek words with a literal translation underneath. So if translations take the liberty to add words of interpretive English paraphrase, the interlinear Bible can help the casual reader sort out the wheat from the chaff. Interlinear translations are available online.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Not a fan of the KJV or the NIV.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are 10 million textual variants in Bible manuscripts. It is ironic that Fundamentalists who most loudly insist that the Bible is God's inerrant Word use the most corrupt text currently available--the KJV. They fail to realize that the KJV translators lacked access to the earliest and most accurate Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. This lack was filled at the time of Westcott and Hort and the Christian world owes them a debt of gratitude for the purer and more accurate text they produced by a thorough comparison of the best manuscripts with the older ones to determine how the countless errors crept into God's Word. Westcott and Hort pioneered the science of Text Critcism which applies many historical principles to discoverying the process whereby Bible texts got corrupted. Both evangelical and liberal Bible scholars acknowledge the debt of gratitude that we owe to the pioneering work of Westcott an Hort.

How can the average Christian evaluate the various Bible translations. 2 tools are as valuable as any: a good Bible concordance and a Hebrew and Greek interlinear Bible. An interlinear Bible prints the Hebrew and Greek words with a literal translation underneath. So if translations take the liberty to add words of interpretive English paraphrase, the interlinear Bible can help the casual reader sort out the wheat from the chaff. Interlinear translations are available online.
I agree wholeheartedly. For those who like to save a little money Esword has a free Bible program which has about 40 versions including Greek NT and Hebrew OT, interlinears, concordances, dictionaries etc. The Word is another good one similar to Esword. It is also free.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Which website did you copy this list from?

Upvote 0

Offeiriad

Christian Spiritual Guide
Jun 25, 2012
France
✟22,653.00
Country
France
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
....There are 10 million textual variants in Bible manuscripts..... This seems an incredible figure - who came up with this figure, and how widely is it accepted? And of course textual variants differ widely in their significance......

I would also echo the advice to use an interlinear Bible, but I would be wary of using any New Testament one based on Textus Receptus, which takes no account of important older manuscripts. But if you want to fence with others over the accuracy of Bible translations I'm afraid there is no substitute for learning the original language.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey guys. Been doing some research lately into both the books that some claim were left out of the bible

This kind of information is made up and promoted by those just wanting to make a buck. The supposed "lost books" have been known by biblical scholars for centuries and were rejected long, long ago.

also comparing many of the versions of the bible that use today. Here are just a few scriptures for comparison. Are these just grammatical differences or does it give a different meaning altogether?

No translation is perfect, and each good translation has both strengths and weaknesses. comparing the texts (as you have done) is one of the best ways to identify areas where scholars did not agree on the meaning of the text, allowing you to spend time looking at commentaries and translation notes (like those included with the NET) that discuss the reasons for the different translation choices. In general, as demonstrated by your quotes, most versions say basically the same thing but with different wording. In the example of 1 John 4:3, the BBE's "does not say this" is an example of a poor translation of the Greek text that explicitly says "ὃ μὴ ὁμολογεῖ τὸν Ἰησοῦν" (lit. who does not confess [the] Jesus). However, by comparing the text as you have done, the problem with BBE's translation of this verse becomes apparent without every looking at the Greek text. For those who do not read Greek or Hebrew, the use of multiple translations (as you have done) is one of the very best tools that can be used to understand the text!

• Agree
Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are 10 million textual variants in Bible manuscripts.

There is no honest bible scholar that suggests that the number of variants is this high. Bart Ehrman suggests 400,000 for the NT, and while the OT is a larger body of literature, the number of variant texts is actually less because we have significantly less number of manuscripts of the OT.

Furthermore, it is important to recognize that textual variant is NOT the same as textual error. The vast majority of textual variants do not affect the meaning of the text at all. Many variants reflect only spelling changes (and since standardized spelling [in any language] was not developed until many centuries after the NT was written), spelling differences would never have been considered errors by the scribes that copied the text. The next most significant number of variants has to do with word order. In Greek, subject/object distinction is not controlled by word order but by case ending and so, unlike English, changing the word order doesn't typically change the meaning of the text. Last, many variants originated very late and do not reflect an original text. When variants related to spelling, word order, and late textual development are eliminated, the number remaining are magnitudes less, and none affect any essential doctrines of Christianity (as acknowledged by Bart Ehrman, an agnostic critic of the NT texts).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Eventually you get to the point where you have to use lexicons and concordances to make sure what is translated in English is as accurate an understanding as what the original languages are implying.

Worse yet their is bias in all of the translations... for example the account of Yeshua and the thief when he says to messiah remember me when you come into your kingdom.

The original text does NOT use grammar and where you place the comma in Messiah's response completely changes what he is saying.

There are other obvious problems and arguably the biggest of which is having a willingness to lay down a doctrine that is very appealing but turns out to be false upon deeper study and prayer

Trying to use lexicons and concordances to understand the text when one has never learned the language, is one of the most error prone methods of bible study and one that I would strongly recommend not be done. Either invest the time in learning the language from a teacher qualified to teach it, or compare English versions (as was done above) and read several commentaries written by those who do understand the languages [Note: not all commentaries are written by people who can read the biblical languages].

To give a graphic example, the following provides two simple, but very different invitations. The strong's number and definition is given for every word in each invitation. One of these invitations would be rather dangerous to accept. Which one do you choose i.e. top or bottom? Why?

strongs mistranslation.jpg

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which website did you copy this list from?

I use esword which is a bible software and they give you a large number of versions. I have about 12 versions on it. I watched a presentation in which many of these scriptures were given and analysed. I simply looked up the verses in my bible software and used the compare feature which shows you the same verse in all the different versions. I copied it from the program and pasted it. I don't have the NIV for the program though, that one is premium.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟564,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
They fail to realize that the KJV translators lacked access to the earliest and most accurate Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. This lack was filled at the time of Westcott and Hort and the Christian world owes them a debt of gratitude for the purer and more accurate text they produced by a thorough comparison of the best manuscripts with the older ones to determine how the countless errors crept into God's Word.
Is early inherently most accurate? All scholars acknowledge that the original autographs are lost. The quibble is over copies. Most have chosen to group them into families originating from a particular region. We are then left with the question: which family is best? How does one determine that? The Byzantine family is most attested by sheer numbers, but the manuscripts are admittedly newer. The Alexandrine family seems to be the oldest but it is relatively small. Etc. Etc.

In my opinion, the primary problem with the KJV/AV is not the base text (well, except for the Hebrew OT), but the high degree of inconsistency with which words are rendered across books. An astute scholar can often spot when one committee was assigned a particular section based on the variance in how the same word is rendered to how another committee rendered it. Also, the way tenses are translated is not always helpful, or in a few cases accurate. I wonder though if this is partially an effect of the changes in English since the 1500s.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Trying to use lexicons and concordances to understand the text when one has never learned the language, is one of the most error prone methods of bible study and one that I would strongly recommend not be done. Either invest the time in learning the language from a teacher qualified to teach it, or compare English versions (as was done above) and read several commentaries written by those who do understand the languages [Note: not all commentaries are written by people who can read the biblical languages].

To give a graphic example, the following provides two simple, but very different invitations. The strong's number and definition is given for every word in each invitation. One of these invitations would be rather dangerous to accept. Which one do you choose i.e. top or bottom? Why?

View attachment 190524
Anyone can find extreme examples. And that is not what I am talking about and frankly you know it.

Case in point is Matthew 5:17 that almost the etire Torah died with Messiah hogwash. People try to vainly force Fulfill as to mean complete/done away with.

Here is dictionary.com definition of the word fulfill.

to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise.
to perform or do, as duty; obey or follow, as commands.
to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.):
a book that fulfills a long-felt need.
to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time:
He felt that life was over when one had fulfilled his threescore
years and ten.
to develop the full potential of (usually used reflexively):
She realized that she could never fulfill herself in such work.

Advising against the use of a lexicon, concordance and diction is sheer lunacy.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is early inherently most accurate? All scholars acknowledge that the original autographs are lost. The quibble is over copies. Most have chosen to group them into families originating from a particular region. We are then left with the question: which family is best? How does one determine that? The Byzantine family is most attested by sheer numbers, but the manuscripts are admittedly newer. The Alexandrine family seems to be the oldest but it is relatively small. Etc. Etc.
Absolutely and unequivocally! You do not gain more accuracy the further you are removed from the original texts.

In my opinion, the primary problem with the KJV/AV is not the base text (well, except for the Hebrew OT), but the high degree of inconsistency with which words are rendered across books. An astute scholar can often spot when one committee was assigned a particular section based on the variance in how the same word is rendered to how another committee rendered it. Also, the way tenses are translated is not always helpful, or in a few cases accurate. I wonder though if this is partially an effect of the changes in English since the 1500s.

Bias is a huge problem. Since the KJV was translated and later published 1600 years removed from the events as they transpired the issue of translation bias was not something that was at the forefront of translators minds.

A perfect example of this is the various Hebrew and Greek words translated as hell:
All of the popular Protestant Bible versions like the King James Version (KJV), the American Standard Version (ASV), the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), the New International Version (NIV) and the New King James Version (NKJV) do not agree with the Latin Vulgate, nor even between themselves, as to the number of times the word hell appears in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re: Are all Bibles Created Equal?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (bold mine, John 1:1, 1984 NIV)

Does your translation reveal the true God to you?

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Re: Are all Bibles Created Equal?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (bold mine, John 1:1, 1984 NIV)

Does your translation reveal the true God to you?
See, we wont even agree on what is being said here..... What WORD? The Tanakh (more specifically the Torah)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Word of Life is Jesus, not words—not even concepts, although they're closer to the true Word than words. What we need is Jesus; only he can save. The ink on paper was given to us by God to lead us to Jesus (Galatians 3:24). While we need to take advantage of the enormous blessing of the Bible that God gave us, it is not needed to know Jesus or be saved. Just be sure your goal with any translation is the right Thing.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Word of Life is Jesus, not words—not even concepts, although they're closer to the true Word than words. What we need is Jesus; only he can save. The ink on paper was given to us by God to lead us to Jesus (Galatians 3:24). While we need to take advantage of the enormous blessing of the Bible that God gave us, it is not needed to know Jesus or be saved. Just be sure your goal with any translation is the right Thing.

In the beginning was the WORD...... What is John speaking about here? What word... it was with the G-d from the beginning and it became flesh and dwelt among us.

The Word John is talking about is the Tanakh (OT and more specifically the Torah)

The Torah was given on stone and Israel at points in history followed it and at other points abandoned it... the New Covenant is the Torah written on your heart and in your mind... this was the plan from the very giving of the Torah.
Jeremiah 31:31-34
"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD."But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Since Isreal and Judah are spoken concerning these prophecies G-d is speaking about the 10 tribes which were cast out of the land, assimilated and became goyim (the nations) As such this is speaking directly concerning the new covenant found in the gospels.

Upvote 0