• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Are all Baptists Calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by p1235, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,581
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    There are a lot of Arminianists that also are antinomian. (lit: against the Law)

Some consider it a mortal sin to try to follow the Law for any reason. (i.e. you lose salvation)

2. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+4,163
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican

YIKES!

3. John 1720

John 1720 Harvest Worker Supporter

+441
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Hi P1235
    No, they're not. I always tend away from the label of the ist suffix' anyway and prefer the ian label suffix instead. Although I've been intimately involved with the SBC association for decades I'm still first and foremost a Christian. Don't get me wrong because I do love the Southern Baptists and their dedicated engagement with Christ but I love all who follow Christ more-so than just being a Baptist. I really was never a Calvinist and if I had to be some type of ist at all I guess I'd be a Jesus-ist because He is the one I will follow and abide in & not some theologian guy named Calvin or anyone else. At the end of the day we answer to Jesus, the head of the church and Calvin is not the Holy Spirit. There is no other Name that deserves my allegiance than Christ Jesus my King.

In Christ, John 17:20

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+677
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I have never ever insisted that we must stick to the rules of formal debate. That is your lie against me.

5. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,648
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    And, now you are #1 on the ignore list.

6. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+677
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I was replying to what TaylorSexton wrote in #194 and he was asking me to put it in the form of a syllogism.

I was being honest to his request and NOT being obnoxious.

Many others interact with me and have done so for the 12 years I've been on this forum.

You've only been here 2.5 years, so how would you know how many people have interacted with me?

Bye, bye
    Oz :wave::wave:

7. jimmyjimmy

+5,648
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Q: What do you call a Presbyterian who drank too much coffee?

A: A Hyper-Calvinist.

8. TaylorSexton

TaylorSexton 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

+418
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Precisely. All Calvinists deny free will, but there isn't any orthodox Calvinist of which I know who denies free agency. They are very different things.

In fact, I would posit that almost everyone, were they to actually be informed about what the term "free will" entails, would deny it altogether. There are many in the religious and secular worlds (myself included) who are inclined to believe free will is entirely mythical—it just does not exist because, philosophically speaking, a will acting apart from any influences—outside, inside, or otherwise—except maybe in reference to God, is simply nonsensical. Free agency, however (which is simply the ability to act), is, in my view, entirely in line with Scripture, reason, and experience.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. Hammster

Hammster OBSTREPEROUSNESS Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,070
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Great explanation.

10. Gojira323

Gojira323 New Member

+15
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I am a Baptist but im neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian. I'm just a sinner saved by grace a label won't save my soul

11. jimmyjimmy

+5,648
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    How were you saved? Who saved you?

12. Gojira323

Gojira323 New Member

+15
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Jesus Christ saved me from my sins and thats all your baiting deserves.

13. jimmyjimmy

+5,648
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    How did He save you?

14. DeaconDean

DeaconDean γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον

+2,583
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Here is a list of some of the things Calvinists stand opposed to Hyper-Calvinism:

"Most Calvinists reject as deplorable the following hyper-Calvinistic and destructive beliefs:

- that God is the author of sin and of evil

- that men have no will of their own, and secondary causes are of no effect

- that the number of the elect at any time may be known by men

- that it is wrong to evangelize

- that assurance of election must be sought prior to repentance and faith

- that men who have once sincerely professed belief are saved regardless of what they later do

- that God has chosen some races of men and has rejected others

- that the children of unbelievers dying in infancy are certainly damned

- that God does not command everyone to repent

- that the sacraments are not means of grace, but obstacles to salvation by faith alone.

- that the true church is only invisible, and salvation is not connected with the visible church

- that the Scriptures are intended to be interpreted by individuals only and not by the church.

- that no government is to be obeyed which does not acknowledge that Jesus is the Lord, or that Biblical Law is its source of authority

- that the grace of God does not work for the betterment of all men

- that saving faith is equivalent to belief in the doctrine of predestination

- that only Calvinists are Christians (Neo-gnostic Calvinism)"

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. twin1954

twin1954 Baptist by the Bible

+1,460
    Calvinist
    Married
    Almost no Baptists hold to the so-called Sacraments being a means of grace.

Also the idea of common grace, the view that the grace of God works for the betterment of all men, simply is not Bbiblical.

16. DeaconDean

+2,583
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree brother.

These are just some of the things "Hyper-Calvinists" believe.

Even you and I agree that there isn't much that Baptists and Reformed theology differ on.

God Bless

Till all are one.

17. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Except that baptizing babies thing.... Sort of a big deal...

18. twin1954

twin1954 Baptist by the Bible

+1,460
    Calvinist
    Married
    Actually the baptizing babies thing stems from their view of covenant theology. Historically Baptist have a different understanding of Covenant Theology. Baptist covenant theology and Presbyterian covenant theology are not the same. We differ with them on the Mosaic Covenant and baptism as a continuation of circumcision.

19. DeaconDean

+2,583
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Your right brother...again.

God Bless you!

Till all are one.

20. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,631
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The doctrine of common grace says that the good things that exist in the world are the result of the grace of God (not saving grace, but a form of grace nonetheless). This includes things like God giving people governments (Romans 13:4), and God giving people a sense of right and wrong.