Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you able to find one or, better yet, two non-LDS archeologists who are able to corroborate the Book of Mormon as historically and geographically accurate?

The Bible does have a history of being accurate enough to use as a map by archeologists looking for ancient antiquities. You may go to the holy land and see for yourself what is shown in scripture. There are historical documents, physical structures, and geographical locations. You are not able to do this with the LDS scriptures. There are no historical documents, there are no physical structures, and the geographical locations are not where the LDS church teaches.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you able to find one or, better yet, two non-LDS archeologists who are able to corroborate the Book of Mormon as historically and geographically accurate?

The Bible does have a history of being accurate enough to use as a map by archeologists looking for ancient antiquities. You may go to the holy land and see for yourself what is shown in scripture. There are historical documents, physical structures, and geographical locations. You are not able to do this with the LDS scriptures. There are no historical documents, there are no physical structures, and the geographical locations are not where the LDS church teaches.
dunno.png

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Needling Mormons seems to be a popular blood sport on CF.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If it was true, archaeologists would discover it anyway, even if they had never read the book or heard of it, simply by finding things that match up with what it says.
They have, they just don't connect the dots. They have problems with the Bible also saying there was no flood, man was on the earth long before Adam, etc.

Upvote 0

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They have, they just don't connect the dots. They have problems with the Bible also saying there was no flood, man was on the earth long before Adam, etc.

Another deflection... Archeologists have used the Bible to make finds in Israel... You know Israel? That country written about exclusively in the Bible...

Perhaps you can show us some Reformed Egyptian... Connect the dots for us...

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Are you a former LDS? Atheism seems to be the escape route for a lot of LDS who realize they have been misled...

I've never belonged to any religion and I have no particular sympathy for LDS. I just recognise that some Christians on CF have a nasty habit of making unprovoked subtle (and not so subtle) attacks on LDS people and their beliefs.

It seems to me that this behaviour is the antithesis of Christian tolerance and charity and deserves rebuke - even if it is from an atheist.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never belonged to any religion and I have no particular sympathy for LDS. I just recognise that some Christians on CF have a nasty habit of making unprovoked subtle (and not so subtle) attacks on LDS people and their beliefs.

It seems to me that this behaviour is the antithesis of Christian tolerance and charity and deserves rebuke - even if it is from an atheist.

OB

Hello OB, This is a debate forum. I am asking questions that deserve a logical answer based upon the Holy Bible that we commonly hold to... Asking questions in a debate forum about one's beliefs is not a personal attack, nor is it intolerant... What is happening here is called apologetics. That word comes from the Koine Greek Word Apologia, which means to give an answer... See 1 Peter 3:15... I have not been mean-spirited. I have not attacked anyone personally... My primary goal is to get LDS to think. In that thinking, perhaps they will come to know the true Lord Jesus Christ who loves them and shed his blood for the sins of his people...

I suppose I should at least tell you this Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The God of the Bible created the Heavens and the Universe. After that creation, man rebelled against God and was separated from Him. The Father sent His Son to live a perfectly innocent life in our behalf. Then he suffered on the cross, taking the punishment all men deserve... On the third day, he rose from the Dead. He paid the debt of sin and in rising from the dead opened the way for others to follow... I placed my trust in Him about 40 years ago... Thankfully, he was and is patient with my shortcomings and weaknesses and frailties... I ask that you re-consider knowing Jesus... Shalom...

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello OB, This is a debate forum. I am asking questions that deserve a logical answer based upon the Holy Bible that we commonly hold to... Asking questions in a debate forum about one's beliefs is not a personal attack, nor is it intolerant... What is happening here is called apologetics. That word comes from the Koine Greek Word Apologia, which means to give an answer... See 1 Peter 3:15... I have not been mean-spirited. I have not attacked anyone personally... My primary goal is to get LDS to think. In that thinking, perhaps they will come to know the true Lord Jesus Christ who loves them and shed his blood for the sins of his people...
You've started 9 threads since you joined CF. All 9 threads are attacks on LDS beliefs. Your posts are written in a hectoring tone in the typical style of a bully. If your goal is really to get LDS to "come to know the true Lord Jesus Christ who loves them" perhaps you should adopt a more conciliatory approach as a demonstration of a real Christian attitude to people of other beliefs.

I suppose I should at least tell you this Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The God of the Bible created the Heavens and the Universe. After that creation, man rebelled against God and was separated from Him. The Father sent His Son to live a perfectly innocent life in our behalf. Then he suffered on the cross, taking the punishment all men deserve... On the third day, he rose from the Dead. He paid the debt of sin and in rising from the dead opened the way for others to follow... I placed my trust in Him about 40 years ago... Thankfully, he was and is patient with my shortcomings and weaknesses and frailties... I ask that you re-consider knowing Jesus... Shalom...
I've been a non-believer for more years than you've been alive. I don't need your sermons.
OB

Upvote 0

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You've started 9 threads since you joined CF. All 9 threads are attacks on LDS beliefs. Your posts are written in a hectoring tone in the typical style of a bully. If your goal is really to get LDS to "come to know the true Lord Jesus Christ who loves them" perhaps you should adopt a more conciliatory approach as a demonstration of a real Christian attitude to people of other beliefs.
OB

Thank you for your thoughts...

Upvote 0

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been a non-believer for more years than you've been alive. I don't need your sermons.
OB

You're right... You need a restored relationship with God... Through Jesus Christ, His Son...

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, just got a look at it now... It looks to be a LDS sponsored article... Could you show me a non-LDS article that supports the BOM? I would like to see money, buildings, Hebrew DNA.... All of those would be proof that the BOM could be true...

This is why I asked if you'd be willing to actually accept any evidence anyone gave you.

Upvote 0

Yodas_Prodigy1

Apr 9, 2019
Rockford
✟18,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is why I asked if you'd be willing to actually accept any evidence anyone gave you.

Anyone can put together an article or create a video... How about showing me a peer-reviewed researched document?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Anyone can put together an article or create a video... How about showing me a peer-reviewed researched document?

You act as if this is anything new to the world, when some of this is so well known and accepted as fact that even places like Wikipedia have full write-ups on them.

For example...

Metallurgy in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica - Wikipedia

Metallurgy of the type that critics of the church swear never happened before Columbus was well in place at least as early as 800 AD, and in some regions may have been in place as early as 450 AD, not long after the BoM time frame.

Axe-monies - Wikipedia

Indeed, metallurgy was such that common objects were being made of metal, including odd bits that are believed to have been used as a type of monetary exchange.

Tumbaga - Wikipedia

In fact, parts of pre-Columbian America had a type of gold / copper alloy known as "tumbaga", which was often used for such things as religious items.

Macuahuitl - Wikipedia

Granted, while the locals knew how to make knives and axes, sword-making appeared to be beyond what they could do with metal... but then again, when they had such a ready supply of wood and obsidian, they didn't need metal to make their swords anyway.

In fact, the reputation of the macuahuitl is such that when Discovery Networks directly maintained their own message forums, at least once a week someone would come to the "Mythbusters" fan forum and ask them to test it out.

Aztec warfare - Wikipedia

Similarly, the Aztecs are known to have used armor and shields. Although they would have been primitive by the standards of even the Middle East at the time, such things as wooden helmets, padded clothing, and shields would have still done a respectable job.

So that's metal-working, coins, swords, and armor in Pre-Columbian America, things that critics of the church say never existed despite their actually being common knowledge and settled fact.

Upvote 0