Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas and the South (EO)

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well...met. tikhon and archbishop michael taught at st tikhon's before they were elevated. They are also not as innovative as the st vlad's crowd.

well, Vladyka Michael still teaches there, and Vladyka Tikhon is the Seminary President. Vladyka Dmitri was educated at St Vlad's.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, Vladyka Michael still teaches there, and Vladyka Tikhon is the Seminary President. Vladyka Dmitri was educated at St Vlad's.
Vladyka Michael also teaches ethics at St Vlads. It's good to hear about Vladyka Tikhon. As for Vladyka Dmitri, let's just hope he did not buy into any of the "Origen is a saint" and other stuff that comes in and out of St Vlads. Obviously you cannot paint everyone there with a broad brush.

You went to St Tikhons, don't you remember the "Vlad Grads" song to the tune of the Flintstones?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Vladyka Michael also teaches ethics at St Vlads. It's good to hear about Vladyka Michael. As for Vladyka Dmitri, let's just hope he did not buy into any of the "Origen is a saint" and other stuff that comes in and out of St Vlads. Obviously you cannot paint everyone there with a broad brush.

You went to St Tikhons, don't you remember the "Vlad Grads" song to the tune of the Flintstones?

no, I didn't hear that song. and I don't think this is the thread to bash SVOTS.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't bashing them, I said you cannot paint everyone with a broad brush.

yeah, but the implication is that the idea that Origen is a saint is common at SVOTS or goes in and out of fashion there. aside from a few folks, it doesn't.

and that's not the point of this thread.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
yeah, but the implication is that the idea that Origen is a saint is common at SVOTS or goes in and out of fashion there. aside from a few folks, it doesn't.

and that's not the point of this thread.

Indeed, SVOTS produced some of the most brilliant theologians of the last generation, such as J. Meyendorff, Schmemann and Hopko. I believe they will continue with great success, but of course that can be gauged fully only in retrospect.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know of any biographical information on Demitra (?) Royster, the sister of Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas? The info on him online makesit sound like she was a kind of partner to him in the early years, then she kind of disappears from the record.

Not looking for personal gossip, just interested in her path. Did she marry? Become a monastic? What happened?

Also, Archbishop Dmitri's Miracles of Christ is good.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He was one of our best bishops and nearly became Metropolitan at one point.
It's very easy to see why, now that I've read one of his books. Sounds totally sober but totally contemporary and readable at the same time. I can imagine him being a real spiritual leader.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's very easy to see why, now that I've read one of his books. Sounds totally sober but totally contemporary and readable at the same time. I can imagine him being a real spiritual leader.
his writings are fantastic from a pastoral POV. he was required reading when I was at seminary.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I never met him when he was alive, but he's one of few that I've heard nothing but positive things about. I sometimes wonder if he had been made Metropolitan of the OCA if we would have maybe one or two fewer jurisdictions in this country.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never met him when he was alive, but he's one of few that I've heard nothing but positive things about. I sometimes wonder if he had been made Metropolitan of the OCA if we would have maybe one or two fewer jurisdictions in this country.
It's very easy to imagine he was the good teacher and pastor everyone says he was.

What a figure. I gotta get another of his books.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I sometimes wonder if he had been made Metropolitan of the OCA if we would have maybe one or two fewer jurisdictions in this country.
I think he was offered to be a candidate turned it down or something like that.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think he was offered to be a candidate turned it down or something like that.
I think that was the case during Metropolitan Herman or Jonah's election. The election of Metropolitan Theodosius though, Vladika Dmitri had the clear majority vote, but the Synod wasn't ready for a convert metropolitan (yet) mostly out of fear that other jurisdictions wouldn't view the OCA as being legitimate. It was the 1970s, it was a different time.

Upvote 0