Archaeological evidence for the Bible is a bunch of donkey-doo!

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you do if a biblical clue might really be a bunch of donkey-doo? ^_^
Get out your boots and your shovel, right?

(This National Geographic video is only a minute and a half, or so)

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you do if a biblical clue might really be a bunch of donkey-doo? ^_^
Get out your boots and your shovel, right?

(This National Geographic video is only a minute and a half, or so)

Holy crap!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holy crap!

....it's probably a little early to think of it quite in that vain as yet, being that archaeologists haven't made any definitive connections between it and the 2nd Temple as per the PBS.org article below. But (and I use the term 'loosely'), things might eventually prove to be substantive in the end. Sometimes, that's the nature of this archaeology stuff... :rolleyes:

3,000-Year-Old Dung Adds Fresh Fuel to King Solomon Debate
(pbs.org)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
....it's probably a little early to think of it quite in that vain as yet, being that archaeologists haven't made any definitive connections between it and the 2nd Temple as per the PBS.org article below. But (and I use the term 'loosely'), things might eventually prove to be substantive in the end. Sometimes, that's the nature of this archaeology stuff... :rolleyes:

3,000-Year-Old Dung Adds Fresh Fuel to King Solomon Debate
(pbs.org)

Come on now. I haven't been this excited since they dug up that latrine at Qumran.

Unearthed: ancient sect's extreme latrine : Nature News

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm always curious about what those who believe these archeological finds are significant are thinking?

Claims about gods, miracles, and events cannot be proven with the discovery of buildings and caskets. Does the existence of the pyramids and sarcophagi of pharaohs prove ancient Egyptian religious beliefs true?

Of course not.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm always curious about what those who believe these archeological finds are significant are thinking?

Claims about gods, miracles, and events cannot be proven with the discovery of buildings and caskets. Does the existence of the pyramids and sarcophagi of pharaohs prove ancient Egyptian religious beliefs true?

Of course not.

In the case of this thread, the possible evidence here could support the idea that Solomon was a historical figure rather than just a figment of Jewish fictional literature. It wouldn't provide direct proof of God, obviously, but it may help to us to see biblical details about Solomon's life and kingdom as feasible. Then again, I suppose there will be those persons who'll still think the whole matter is a bunch of donkey-doo, no matter how well the Bible might be corroborated by disciplines such as Archaeology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In the case of this thread, the possible evidence here could support the idea that Solomon was a historical figure rather than just a figment of Jewish fictional literature. It wouldn't provide direct proof of God, obviously, but it may help to us to see biblical details about Solomon's life and kingdom as feasible. Then again, I suppose there will be those persons who'll still think the whole matter is a bunch of donkey-doo, no matter how well the Bible might be corroborated by disciplines such as Archaeology.

Well, let's say that archeology does a good job proving the existence of a "King Solomon" and there's a good chance he's the same one mentioned in the bible...

What does that prove in your mind?

Edit-I think the thing you're missing is that it's not just not direct proof of god, it isn't indirect proof either.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, let's say that archeology does a good job proving the existence of a "King Solomon" and there's a good chance he's the same one mentioned in the bible...

What does that prove in your mind?

Edit-I think the thing you're missing is that it's not just not direct proof of god, it isn't indirect proof either.

No, I'm not missing this at all, Ana. But, a world in which we more strongly surmise that some figure from the Bible was historical in nature is a different world from one in which we think that's all just religious dope.

Besides, there's always the epistemological problem of Lessing's Ditch that has to be overcome ... even for those who would say, "If only I had enough evidence, I'd believe."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not missing this at all, Ana. But, a world in which we more strongly surmise that some figure from the Bible was historical in nature is a different world from one in which we think that's all just religious dope.

Sure, it becomes a world where we believe in the existence of a historic figure.

Besides, there's always the epistemological problem of Lessing's Ditch that has to be overcome ... even for those who would say, "If only I had enough evidence, I'd believe."

I don't think they're talking about the existence of historical figures.

Surely you understand that the existence of historical figures isn't the issue here? If I wrote a book called "The Magical Adventures of Donald Trump" that centered on an American president, was populated full of people like Michael Cohen and Putin, was chock full of real historical landmarks like the White House....

Would those facts lend any credence to the claims that Trump rode around on a magical unicorn and used a magic staff to lower taxes and establish peace in the middle east?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, it becomes a world where we believe in the existence of a historic figure.
...and whether that historical figure 'means' anything to us will depend on what?

I don't think they're talking about the existence of historical figures.
Oh, I don't know about that. As many books as have been written to 'down' any historical validity the Bible may have kinds of says volumes about how your atheistic comrades in the English speaking world feel about the possibility of a Biblically relevant human past. Obviously, more than just 'bible knowledge' is needed to produce faith in person, ala Lessing's Ditch, but I don't discount the need for some relevant info from the past in the development of faith in Christ. It's just I think the linchpin for any person in having faith takes more than just the Bible alone.

Surely you understand that the existence of historical figures isn't the issue here? If I wrote a book called "The Magical Adventures of Donald Trump" that centered on an American president, was populated full of people like Michael Cohen and Putin, was chock full of real historical landmarks like the White House....

Would those facts lend any credence to the claims that Trump rode around on a magical unicorn and used a magic staff to lower taxes and establish peace in the middle east?
I don't know. Are you Jewish? :sorry:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...and whether that historical figure 'means' anything to us will depend on what?

Your personal feelings.

Oh, I don't know about that. As many books as have been written to 'down' any historical validity the Bible may have kinds of says volumes about how your atheistic comrades in the English speaking world feel about the possibility of a Biblically relevant human past. Obviously, more than just 'bible knowledge' is needed to produce faith in person, ala Lessing's Ditch, but I don't discount the need for some relevant info from the past in the development of faith in Christ. It's just I think the linchpin for any person in having faith takes more than just the Bible alone.

None of this addresses the point I made.

I don't know. Are you Jewish? :sorry:

No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Of course not.
Ra has cursed you and so has Isis.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your personal feelings.
… oh, I'm sure there will be some dependence upon feelings in all of this, but when we talk about human “feelings” in relation to whether or not Christianity is true, what do you mean exactly?

None of this addresses the point I made.
And what is your objective point about the process of 'story making,' Ana? Is it that you think I need to realize and understand the how's, why's and wherefore's of “misinformation” and “disinformation” and other tom-foolery involving the fictional recasting of accounts which are used persuade the masses?

Well, I'm not Jewish either, especially not in a religious vain, so we both have to overcome a hermeneutical hurdle or two, then, don't we?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
… oh, I'm sure there will be some dependence upon feelings in all of this, but when we talk about human “feelings” in relation to whether or not Christianity is true, what do you mean exactly?

You're misunderstanding my words. You asked about what would give the factual existence of a historic figure "meaning" to a person. I answered that it will depend upon your personal feelings. I'm assuming that by "meaning" you meant "meaning beyond merely existing in history".....which will depend upon your personal feelings.

It doesn't relate at all to whether or not christianity is true.

And what is your objective point about the process of 'story making,' Ana?

Pretty simple really. The point is that a story can contain nothing but real historical figures and locations and yet the claims about what these figures did can be entirely false.

Evidence of one isn't evidence of the other.

Well, I'm not Jewish either, especially not in a religious vain, so we both have to overcome a hermeneutical hurdle or two, then, don't we?

I don't see that we do. I don't see jews or any other religious group as having access to knowledge that is inaccessible to those outside of the group.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I too find these discoveries fascinating. And verifying the Biblical accounts of Hebrew history does give some "life" to the books.

I guess I can see how it advances "Christian apologetics" a little bit, in the face of people who think the Bible is a complete fabrication like Lord of the Rings or something.

Upvote 0