San Francisco
✟239,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know of any good and reliable Arabic Christian historians who may have lived during the time of Christ or even the times of Eusebius, Jerome, and other well known churchmen? During my own time spent on world chronology I have come across two whom I have never heard until recently:

Eutychius of Alexandria/Said Ibn Batrilk
Annals

Agapius the Greek/Mahboub
Universal History

You all will find there histories very enlightening and enjoyable to read. If anyone knows of any other similar works which have been translated into English from reputable Arabic Christian historians please share! Even histories on ancient Arabia would be much appreciated.

Humble Penny

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
San Francisco
✟239,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Agapius is very great to read as he explcitly tells you that the Jews corrupted the Septuagint Scriptures by referencing their "mutilated Hebrew writings". I know people have heard me make this same accusation but I thought it best if you all knew I wasn't the only one who said this or saw this to be true. Can't remember if Eutychius did as well, but I know that Eusebius mentions in his Chronicon that the Jews got 480 Years from Moses to the 4th Year of Solomon by purposely not counting the years of oppresion the Israelites faced by the Canaanites, Philistines, Ammonites, and Moabites!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard of Agapius the Greek/Mahboub. The problem with him is that he uses sources that tend to lean unreliable or unknown. Not that unknown means inaccurate necessarily, but he tended to indiscriminately use texts that seem to be mythical or apocryphal without noting their possible issues or sometimes his source, thereby making him not a completely reliable source. But then that is the case with many old historians through the medieval era.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone know of any good and reliable Arabic Christian historians who may have lived during the time of Christ or even the times of Eusebius, Jerome, and other well known churchmen? During my own time spent on world chronology I have come across two whom I have never heard until recently:

Eutychius of Alexandria/Said Ibn Batrilk
Annals

Agapius the Greek/Mahboub
Universal History

You all will find there histories very enlightening and enjoyable to read. If anyone knows of any other similar works which have been translated into English from reputable Arabic Christian historians please share! Even histories on ancient Arabia would be much appreciated.
Arabic as a language was in its infancy during the times you are wanting and I doubt there is any surviving Christian Arabic text that early or even one that existed that early. The Arabic alphabet itself is dated back to the 4th century. Your 10th-century sources may be the best you can get.

• Useful
Reactions: Humble Penny
Upvote 0

Humble Penny

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
San Francisco
✟239,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Arabic as a language was in its infancy during the times you are wanting and I doubt there is any surviving Christian Arabic text that early or even one that existed that early. The Arabic alphabet itself is dated back to the 4th century. Your 10th-century sources may be the best you can get.
Okay cool...any names in particular you could provide for me or titles of writings?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay cool...any names in particular you could provide for me or titles of writings?
the Nabataeans are early Arab Christians in the 4th century but I don't think they wrote down a lot. Nabataean script is not Arbaic but it is a predecessor to Arabic and something you might want to check out.

• Useful
Reactions: Humble Penny
Upvote 0