Aquaman & Science/Mythologies: Do You Feel Ancient Cultures were more advanced than we are today?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I have always been a HUGE fan of the character "Aquaman" and the mythology that his character brings to the table. And the new film did NOT disappoint me whatsoever. I thought it was beautiful. With that said, I am curious as to what you all feel on ancient mythologies. As with Wakanda when others have asked if there were already industralized civilizations in the world long before it was documented, A strong theme in Aquaman was that the Nation of Atlantis was one that was highly advanced/found a way to have infinite and renewable energy - and ended up sinking when they went too far, but adapted over time to the undersea world.

Theme wise, as I thought on the dynamics, I literally considered how this is something not really taken seriously at points when we seem to assume we're the most advance there is in human history - and yet we still cannot explain how ancient developments occurred. It is with this in mind that I do wonder if others truly take seriously what ancient mythologies indicate when it comes to assuming only one generation was advanced.

images

first-aquaman-trailer-takes-us-to-a-majestic-atlantis.jpg

jason-momoa-aquaman-movie.jpg

Aquaman_Extended_Banner.jpg

aquaman-review-11-1500x844.jpg

aquaman-review-3-1500x844.jpg

aquaman-review-7-1500x844.jpg

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Highly unlikely.

Though it is not completely impossible, from what we know about our history, "highly advanced" and "industrial" civilizations don't spring up from nothing. It is a process, over several steps. And these steps tend to leave remains.

We have found remains of several ancient civilizations all over the world, up to several thousand years back. We have found and identified the remains of other "uncivilized" human socities, dating back even further.

But any "highly advanced" civilization that might have existed managed to vanish without leaving any material trace.

• Agree
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I enjoy the idea that human civilization was advanced at some point in the past, blew itself up, and had to restart from scratch. But that's unlikely to be much more than a fun sci-fi scenario, since you need fullblown conspiracy theories to explain why there's no archeological evidence for it.

I'm totally a Celtic crypto-pagan, so I also really like the idea that some of the otherworldly peoples that we meet in the various mythologies are sister species that are more evolutionarily advanced than us rather than less advanced. But I would expect archeological evidence for that also, so if some of this stuff is real, it probably can't be easily fit into a naturalistic paradigm.

I do need to get around to watching Aquaman.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I do need to get around to watching Aquaman.
Maybe I'll watch it... maybe not. Somehow I always could relate to the Marvel Universe better than to the DC.

(Might be the Hulk. ;))

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is with this in mind that I do wonder if others truly take seriously what ancient mythologies indicate when it comes to assuming only one generation was advanced.
Your question is right down my alley .I have wondered the same thing. And I really take seriously what the Bible says here...
Ecc. 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

I have no problem with the ideas expressed in mythologies. We see things in our day that we in our arrogance say that they didn't have back in the day. But scripture says there is no new thing under the sun.

• Agree
Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe I'll watch it... maybe not. Somehow I always could relate to the Marvel Universe better than to the DC.

(Might be the Hulk. ;))

Hahaha, I am all about the high Shakespearean drama of the Odinsons. (Though I miss the literal Shakespearean language there.) ^_^

The only DC film I watched was Wonder Woman, which I really did like, but I've heard good things about this one as well. And it does look pretty. But I'm very MCU too.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Hahaha, I am all about the high Shakespearean drama of the Odinsons. (Though I miss the literal Shakespearean language there.) ^_^
If you ignore all the mangling of the original Norse mythology to make it into the "Superhero" genre... yes, it's quite well done. Loki especially is a great character.

The only DC film I watched was Wonder Woman, which I really did like, but I've heard good things about this one as well. And it does look pretty. But I'm very MCU too.
I kind of liked the new Batman movies... the Dark Knight especially, simply because Heath Ledger's Joker was brilliant. Couldn't stand the Superman films, and all the new combined "Justice League" stuff. Gross commercialization over good movie making, in my view. The same problem infects the newer MCU movies as well.

And I have to admit that I hated Wonder Woman. Overall, not a bad movie. But here they had the chance to present the soldiers fighting in a war as just humans in a bad situation. They had all the setup. But, no, they had to have the cardboard German Nazi baddies.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you ignore all the mangling of the original Norse mythology to make it into the "Superhero" genre... yes, it's quite well done. Loki especially is a great character.

Haha, yeah. Not exactly the best depiction of Norse mythology, but I felt like I was watching King Lear with the first Thor movie, and that was great. I was very amused when Tom Hiddleston got cast as Prince Hal in the BBC's Hollow Crown version of the Henriad, because it was basically just the same thing. ^_^

I kind of liked the new Batman movies... the Dark Knight especially, simply because Heath Ledger's Joker was brilliant. Couldn't stand the Superman films, and all the new combined "Justice League" stuff. Gross commercialization over good movie making, in my view. The same problem infects the newer MCU movies as well.

Oh, I did like the new Batman movies, though now they're kind of the old new Batman movies, haha. ^_^ I only got through maybe five minutes of the first of the new Superman film before having to turn it off because I just couldn't stop laughing.

And I have to admit that I hated Wonder Woman. Overall, not a bad movie. But here they had the chance to present the soldiers fighting in a war as just humans in a bad situation. They had all the setup. But, no, they had to have the cardboard German Nazi baddies.

Hmm, I honestly don't remember the movie very well anymore. I just really liked Diana's character in the same way I like Steve Rogers'. I think the MCU has been doing a better job at presenting three-dimensional antagonists--well, sometimes. I really liked how they handled it in Black Panther, though I'm not sure what they were thinking with Thanos. His genocidal utilitarianism was just nonsensical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
We do not have any means to dispute whether it is literal. It says what it says and means what it says imho.
Oh, I think it should be quite clear that it cannot be completely literal. Really, "nothing" new?

So, there already was an Internet board called Christian Forums where a user called Freodin posted this question? I don't think so.

So it has to refer to something different. As I see it, it refers to general concepts and in the context, especially to human actions and motives. As in "there are powerhungry man trying to influence the political structure of the realm for their own gain". This is something that basically does not change, regardless of whether these humans are living in a bronze age society without electricy and instant communication, or in a galaxy spanning empire with faster-than-light technology.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Haha, yeah. Not exactly the best depiction of Norse mythology, but I felt like I was watching King Lear with the first Thor movie, and that was great. I was very amused when Tom Hiddleston got cast as Prince Hal in the BBC's Hollow Crown version of the Henriad, because it was basically just the same thing. ^_^
Would have been cute if they used some more shakespearian language in this setting. I remember being totally smitten with the Leonardo di Caprio version of "Romeo and Juliet". No fancy transcription... just the original Shakespear transfered to a modern setting. Oh, and I always thought Romeo was kind of a jerk... so I though LdC was a perfect cast. ;)

Oh, I did like the new Batman movies, though now they're kind of the old new Batman movies, haha. ^_^ I only got through maybe five minutes of the first of the new Superman film before having to turn it off because I just couldn't stop laughing.
There are doing a reboot again, aren't they?

Hmm, I honestly don't remember the movie very well anymore. I just really liked Diana's character in the same way I like Steve Rogers'. I think the MCU has been doing a better job at presenting three-dimensional antagonists--well, sometimes. I really liked how they handled it in Black Panther, though I'm not sure what they were thinking with Thanos. His genocidal utilitarianism was just nonsensical.
Oh, the general movie was great. Good cast, good characters, well done action. But the whole setting was based on the premise that the evil God of War, Ares, incited the war and set the sides against each other. And, yes, after Ares got defeated, they still continued fighting, because, as Diana needed to learn, it wasn't only Ares, but also just human nature.

But still: they could have portrayed both sides as, well, humans. Doing good things, doing bad things. But instead it reverted to the usual "good Americans/allies vs. bad nazi-like Germans".

As I understand it, the original Wonder Woman was set in WW2, so that would have at least made some sense. But this version was in a WW1 setting, and it could have used a more leveled approach. It would have done the allover message of the movie good, to show that this topic is NOT a simple "good vs. evil" question.

But that seemed to have been to difficult for Hollywood authors.

A pitty. I know that Nazis make for good villians in such stories... but to taint all of German history with this chapter is just insulting.

Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
There is such a thing as lost technology: for quite a long time, people forgot how to make bronze, for example, and we still haven't recovered the exact method of producing terra preta, an anthropogenic soil used by the high cultures in the Amazonas region that became extinct due to European germs wiping out most of the population.

All in all, though, I think it is safe to say that no culture of the past reached the same grasp of the natural world as contemporary humanity, although some of them may have understood the relationship between our species and the environment a lot better than our current culture of extinction and overconsumption.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I think it should be quite clear that it cannot be completely literal. Really, "nothing" new?

So, there already was an Internet board called Christian Forums where a user called Freodin posted this question? I don't think so.

So it has to refer to something different. As I see it, it refers to general concepts and in the context, especially to human actions and motives. As in "there are powerhungry man trying to influence the political structure of the realm for their own gain". This is something that basically does not change, regardless of whether these humans are living in a bronze age society without electricy and instant communication, or in a galaxy spanning empire with faster-than-light technology.

We don't know what the world was like prior to the great flood of Noah. We know Noah was able to build the world's one and only unsinkable ship to this day. There have been scientists who believe the pyramids
were electricity generators. The Bible says NOTHING new.So imho we are just beginning to catch up.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I have always been a HUGE fan of the character "Aquaman" and the mythology that his character brings to the table.
All based on ancient mythology and / or their concepts.
More advanced?
Apparently more INVOLVED with the earth's unseen realm, where you will find fallen gods and demons.
So supernaturally more advanced probably, but at a price.
But they want us to long for those things, so they make it popular.
Just look at your pictures in the OP.
Demons and reptilians.

Be careful who / what you follow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I'm totally a Celtic crypto-pagan, so I also really like the idea that some of the otherworldly peoples that we meet in the various mythologies are sister species that are more evolutionarily advanced than us rather than less advanced. But I would expect archeological evidence for that also, so if some of this stuff is real, it probably can't be easily fit into a naturalistic paradigm.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! You can even sprinkle in some Hellenism if that's up your alley, like I've considered lately. ^_^

I'm really into ancient cultures right now, especially those that built historical megastructures because they're just so cool to me, especially Petra and Angkor Wat. I'm mostly a philosophical naturalist because I don't feel that I've seen any evidence to the contrary. However, I'm totally down if we discover something like what you've said or some sort of mana or magic power too that connects us to such things. While were at it, toss in a working FTL system too!

• Haha
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm, I guess it would be cool if there were lost advanced civilizations on Earth. There were probably advanced civilizations in the past elsewhere in the universe that is extinguished. Which I have found interesting. Not so much for the technology that surpasses our own, but how similar their technology might have been to ours. Television that was created millions of years ago. Or long forgotten Internet memes. Or if some of them had a time period that had a similar feel and aesthetic as our 1980s, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, I guess it would be cool if there were lost advanced civilizations on Earth. There were probably advanced civilizations in the past elsewhere in the universe that is extinguished. Which I have found interesting. Not so much for the technology that surpasses our own, but how similar their technology might have been to ours. Television that was created millions of years ago. Or long forgotten Internet memes. Or if some of them had a time period that had a similar feel and aesthetic as our 1980s, lol.

A very interesting subject is the idea of a Great Filter which is "something" (as in, we're not sure what it is) that limits species from becoming space-faring or sufficiently advanced to explore the universe before getting wiped out. For all we know, the universe might be littered with such species with massive, ruined civilizations just waiting to be explored.

It's cool to see such conceptions in sci-fi and then realize we have neat analogues to them even here on Earth. For example, the Great Pyramids are super cool but people struggle to conceptualize just how old they are. They're positively ancient.

By the time the Romans controlled Egypt (~30 BCE), they were already more than 2,000 years old! We tend to think of the Romans as ancient, but there was as much time between us and the Romans as there was between the Romans and the building of the Pyramids. In fact a bit more, to the latter. Even back then, the Romans only had a vague idea about who actually built them. I just think that's cool as heck.

Upvote 0