Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There is no where in the Bible where God says that you cant travel together while your are dating or engaged. I just think separate rooms is important when staying over, just to avoid temptation. I think when you love someone its natural to want to snuggle and be intimate even without sex. For me, Id rather keep things safe, and holy.

In addressing the "appearance of evil". I just think that non-Christians are always watching and God especially is watching. We just need to make sure that in all we do that we are acknowledging him and behaving in a way that Glorifies His Name ! Other than that its all good :)

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is no where in the Bible where God says that you cant travel together while your are dating or engaged. I just think separate rooms is important when staying over, just to avoid temptation. I think when you love someone its natural to want to snuggle and be intimate even without sex. For me, Id rather keep things safe, and holy.

In addressing the "appearance of evil". I just think that non-Christians are always watching and God especially is watching. We just need to make sure that in all we do that we are acknowledging him and behaving in a way that Glorifies His Name ! Other than that its all good :)

Should dating or engaged couples travel together...

Marriage is an exclusive and permanent commitment that is both sacred and special (Ephesians 5:22-33), and therefore it should not be taken lightly. If you are not spiritually, emotionally, financially united, then you shouldn't be physically united.

That means you should never share a room together if you aren't married. Even if you refrain from actual intercourse, or sleep in separate beds, you should not room together by yourselves because it's a matter of maintaining purity. Consider this: Would you allow another man sleep next to your girlfriend or wife? Of course not. No matter how they defend or justify it, you would maintain that is is inappropriate. And that's what I'm trying to get at: It's not as much about what kind of physically boundaries we can cross as much as it is about what are we saying about the marriage commitment when we stay in one room. When you stay in a room together before marriage, you are attempting to enjoy the benefits of marriage without the commitment of marriage. This is both dishonoring to God and harmful to your long-term relationship.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Since I was divorced at 56, I've traveled a lot. Quite often with a GF. Its not been a problem for anyone. Most people love that we hold hands as much as we do!

Appearance of sin isn't just making people think you are sinning or putting yourself in temptation. For example, dressing up like a ghost for Halloween doesn't involve those things but based on the concept of eidos it has the appearance of evil.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Isn't avoiding appearance of sin more than just fleeing from temptation? Wearing a Halloween costume has the appearance of evil.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well thats a touchy subject there.
Jesus had the appearance of sin and didn't hide it. He hung out with Matthews buddies who were drinkers and greedy thieves. He drank wine right in front of the religious teachers who objected. I often wonder if maybe when they saw him he might have held up the cup as if to say "g'day boys" or something.

Just a thought.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well thats a touchy subject there.
Jesus had the appearance of sin and didn't hide it. He hung out with Matthews buddies who were drinkers and greedy thieves. He drank wine right in front of the religious teachers who objected. I often wonder if maybe when they saw him he might have held up the cup as if to say "g'day boys" or something.

Just a thought.

What about appearence of sin in this sense? Strong's Greek: 1491. εἶδος (eidos) -- visible form, shape, appearance, kind

To me the nighttime issue is why there might be appearance of sin in those cases.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing 9 out of 10 times that Biblical phrase " appearance of evil" is thrown around it because what the person saying it is doing is trying to control some other Christian my implying they are doing something sinful when in reality they are doing nothing that is against the Bible.
If they were to steal one could just quite the 10 commandment, "Do no steal."
Also might want to study the context of that that phrase in 1 Thes. I've never once heard it used in the same context that it is used in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing 9 out of 10 times that Biblical phrase " appearance of evil" is thrown around it because what the person saying it is doing is trying to control some other Christian my implying they are doing something sinful when in reality they are doing nothing that is against the Bible.
If they were to steal one could just quite the 10 commandment, "Do no steal."
Also might want to study the context of that that phrase in 1 Thes. I've never once heard it used in the same context that it is used in the Bible.

You don't think those situations involve the "visible form, shape, appearance, kind" of evil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What enumerated sin is implied?
1. Adultery...sexual immorality with another's spouse?
2. Fornication...sexual intercourse between "unmarried"
3. Affection between spiritual mates?

It is judgmental and impossible to know if God blesses a union of spirits.

Genesis 2:24
For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Does God require a marriage: celebration, celebrant, consent, civil license? No. Only society and laws.

Mark 10:8
and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.

Matthew 19:6
So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

is nighttime when people are designed to be sexual? People don't view people of the opposite sex falling asleep in the same room during the same day has appearance of evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Lexicon: abstain from every form of evil.

eidos i'-dos: a view, i.e. form -- appearance, fashion, shape, sight.

Upvote 0