• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Appealing To His Base?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by mark46, Jan 11, 2018.

1. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,836
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Trump has never been so clear in his views. He doesn't want immigrants from places like Haiti, El Salvador and Africa. He would prefer that immigrants came from places like Norway.

Obviously, mainstream Republicans were aghast (but shouldn't have been surprised)
    Reaction to Trump's comments on Africa and Haiti

BTW, I don't think that we should insult the 35-40% of the country that still supports Trump by saying that they are his "base". The base that Trump's racist comments appeal to is much smaller. Many who support Trump, his policies and his presidency are not his base; the simply hold their noses and accept the policies of Trump, policies that they believe have been good for the country.

His base are what Hillary called the deplorables, those who Trump's racist remarks appeal to.

Trump's '[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]hole' remark is the latest in long string of racial provocations
    ======
    The strange thing is that immigrants from African countries like Nigeria are better educated by far (on average) than Trump's supporters. And, no, they don't have have huts to return to in one of the largest economies in the world.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+3,002
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I'm not sure what to make of the outrage over Trump's comment. From a Christian standpoint, he shouldn't have said it. But Democratic leaders don't vacation in third-world countries. They all live in tony neighborhoods. They aren't forced to compete with immigrants for jobs. The rest of country is forced to compete with cheap immigrant labor, especially in urban areas. Anyone who argues against this system is labeled a racist. Trump's comment was symbolic of the exasperation the working class.

3. God bless Joshua

God bless Joshua Well-Known Member

+280
    Malaysia
    Protestant
    Married
    Trump should not say such an arrogant words.

God has entrusted the poor people to the Richs,
    remember the story of poor Lazarus that God must punish the Rich man who neglect him.

4. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,319
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Nuts, I see you beat my post by a couple minutes, but you should edit your OP, because that kinda language is not going to fly here.

5. Creech

Creech Senior Veteran

+234
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    Right, because a supermajority of Americans want their neighborhood flooded with Haitians. Makes sense....

6. dgiharris

dgiharris Newbie

+5,115
    Baptist
    My High School English teacher was a refugee from Africa.

The man spoke 9 languages. 9!!!! He spoke English, French, Latin, Greek, Arabic, and 4 African languages I never heard of. He gave us a perspective on America and the American dream and let us know how lucky we all were to be born in this country...

I know this is a personal anecdote, but a lot of the Africans I have met in this country have been hard working and educated. Just sayin... I'm sure we all have our own personal experiences that may differ... but those are mine... FWIW... *shrug*

7. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+10,319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    What's wrong with Haitians?

8. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,050
    Humanist
    Private
    Appealing To His Base?

Of course he is. From one [crap]hole to all the rest!

9. mark46

+2,836
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    According to Trump, it is OK for white people from Norway to come to the US and take our jobs.

Also, according to Trump, Nigerians who come here are those who live in huts. Nigeria is NOT a 3rd world country.
    ====
    Yes, Trump is the voice of the exasperated working class. That is not really relevant here. The issue here is that he wants white immigrants and does not want black or brown immigrants.
    =====
    As an aside, we have immigrants from many countries. Those who come from many of the African countries are more educated than the average American.
    =====
    Finally, African immigrants don't take low income jobs. TheY are more likely to be teachers and engineers. And even if an immigrant arrives without money, many, many have contributed, with them or their children being solid contributors, and sometimes even president of the US. [I suspect that Trump doesn't want to see any more black presidents].

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+3,192
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Setting the bar rather low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+12,390
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Ouch.

12. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+12,390
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    They are darker than caucasians.

13. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,319
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Perhaps most surprising is that, by many measures, the most-educated immigrant group in the U.S. isn't East Asians. It’s Africans.

According to Census data, more than 43 percent of African immigrants hold a bachelor’s degree or higher -- slightly more than immigrants from East Asia. Nigerian immigrants are especially educated, with almost two-thirds holding college degrees -- a significantly higher percentage even than Chinese or South Korean immigrants. African immigrants are also very likely to hold advanced degrees, many of which are earned at U.S. universities. By many measures, African immigrants are as far ahead of American whites in the educational achievement as whites are ahead of African-Americans.

That education translates into higher household income. Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average...

Hmmm... maybe that's the problem. The nonwhite immigrants we let in are working harder than 'us white folk' at taking advantage of educational and employment opportunities in America.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    I think the problem is that Trump mistakenly believes that if a country is crime and corruption ridden, that this will translate into criminal and unethical immigrants. I think that it is obvious that many of the best from those 'holes', as Trump apparently called them, are the ones coming here, hence the accusation of 'brain drain' by the West. At the same time, we should be more selective about who we let in, and the 'chain' immigration thing is obviously not working too well and needs to be revised.

15. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+3,002
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Bottom line is that immigrants should not be allowed to come here and compete for jobs (low skilled or high skilled) with Americans. This isn't allowed to happen in other countries. They protect their workforces, but America is supposed to be a dumping ground.

16. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The new priest who said mass at the cathedral last Sunday is from Kenya. Great guy. I'm glad he's here.

17. Rion

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Yeah, insulting people you disagree with is a winning strategy. Just look how it won Hillary the nomin--oh...

18. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    :rolleyes:, it continues to work for Trump

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Rion

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Trump insults very particular groups of people, and it is usually directed at those who are seen as elitists (media, etc). Hillary swung at a broad, ill-defined group of citizens. While neither is morally superior, one is pretty standard, if much more blunt, while the other was like setting yourself on fire to get rid of a spider crawling on you.

20. mark46

+2,836
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Trump strongly disagrees with you. He wants immigrants. He wants a merit-based system like Canada and Australia. Of course, one of the pluses is to be white.