In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I read two posts here that both make a similar fallacious argument, in my opinion. Instead of adressing each, I have made this thread to discuss it separately.

Roughly, God being perfect has no need to create anything as He has no wants, and therefore, without motive to create. Consequently, a perfect God would not do so.

There are a number of fallacious ideas here:

Firstly, is the assumptiom that action are only done to fulfill the selfish need of the person undertaking them. The idea here is that we only do something because we ourselves desire or gain something from them. This is the typical argument from those that discount altruism or charity - who argue that the only reason people do charity is because it makes them feel good or such, not from trying to help others. This merely amounts to a fallacy of appeal to motive; that such a motive can be envisioned, and therefore assuming it always operative.

Decision making is complex, and assuming that motives are readily available for all actions is not a proven statement (even less ascribing it to a presumed supreme being). For example, do you have motive for breathing? No, it is involuntary, though can be voluntarily controlled if need be. It is merely an action undertaken by the very nature of our organic life. We have no psychologic motive for it, though it is done in order to undergo cellular respiration, but describing why something occurs is not necessarily giving motive to it, rather a description of what has in fact occured - which can perhaps be termed Physiologic motive. We have motive to continue to do so if we want to live, or to cease if we want to die, but the action largely takes place without conscious psychologic motive.
Even then, we haven't established that altruism occurs out of any need or want of the undertaker thereof. Many, if not all, examples can be cited of altruism being damaging, of no advantage to the altruist - though a fallacious 'it makes him feel good to do so' can always be assumed. Even more nebulous concepts like duty or honour or faith can be roped in, and discounted as being societal constructs. All of these are still assuming the motives of the altruist on little more than possibly specious grounds.

For God as a perfect being, this makes even less sense. It is a anthropomorphisation of God, for it assumes a Perfect God would have similar psychology to men. A selfish God that only acts for its own gain, would not be a Perfect God per defitionem. Selfishness is not a normal aspect of Perfection. So in essence, to ascribe such an axiomatic proposition to God, in order to disprove Perfection, is a form of circular reasoning or erecting a strawman. A selfish God simply cannot be perfect, so selfishness cannot follow from perfection, and no theist when calling God thus, would accept that such motives would be applicable.
Rather, if we assume a God as a creator, the idea that creation flows from Him out of pure Joy or Love or Plenty, would make more sense from a Christian viewpoint.
This would be the equivalent of a Father sharing what he has with his children, or if you are sitting around a campfire in contentment and then inviting others nearby to join. In either case one can appeal to motive, to a father's genetic interest in his offspring or pleasures, or to looking for company - this is true, but neither imply a lack of something that was present in the sharer, rather a lack elsewhere. Or perhaps Perfection lies in the ability to share, to be altruistic, to love, which we see implied in the relationship within the Trinity between the Persons. For Love implies relation, you must love something, you cannot simply love. God is perfect in that He is completing us imperfect beings, who become perfect-in-Christ eventually.
Anyway, from the perspective of us as Created beings, a being that would not have brought us into existence, cannot be perceived as a perfect one - without assuming that there is lack of worth in our own existence. That would be a very sad philosophy to hold, a philosophy of self-hatred.

Perhaps creation is simply an aspect of being Perfect - a being that fails to create more than itself cannot be perfect, as it is sterile and non-creative, perhaps selfish. A being that cannot share the inherent Good thereof, is not Good, is not Perfect, but rather an example of selfish solipsism. A bit circular the reasoning here, but a perfect being needs to be a Creator to be Perfect. So while in perfection God would have no needs, nothing lacking, it does not mean that creation does not flow naturally as an aspect of that Perfection - akin perhaps to my 'physiologic motive' within the nature of God.

To cause the change God must will it to happen. To will it to happen God must logically desire the change. Desiring change implies that God's state is less than perfect. A perfect God cannot have motives.

Actions are always done to remedy an experienced discontentment caused by a perceived problem. Therefore, a deity who acts cannot be perfect, as action means that that deity experiences discontentment.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps creation is simply an aspect of being Perfect - a being that fails to create more than itself cannot be perfect, as it is sterile and non-creative, perhaps selfish. A being that cannot share the inherent Good thereof, is not Good, is not Perfect, but rather an example of selfish solipsism. A bit circular the reasoning here, but a perfect being needs to be a Creator to be Perfect.
An interesting idea. But perhaps you could say that a being that is perfect already has everything it wants or needs. If it wanted or needed anything, it would be incomplete, and how can an incomplete thing be perfect?
If you're calling this perfect being selfish, I'd say that's a very anthropomorphic thing to say. How can we apply human qualities to a being who knows everything and an do anything?
Is a perfect being in an imperfect world perfect? Does not the fact that it is incapable of not making the rest of creation perfect show that it is imperfect?

Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but after reading the story of the Bible, God as presented in it seems to be a deeply flawed character. Rather than being "perfect" one might consider Him to be comically incompetent. He creates a Paradise, then watches as it gets spoiled almost instantly, then sends a flood to wipe out everything on earth, then tries to fix everything by incarnating to speak to his Chosen People directly...
Who promptly kill Him.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
An interesting idea. But perhaps you could say that a being that is perfect already has everything it wants or needs. If it wanted or needed anything, it would be incomplete, and how can an incomplete thing be perfect?
If you're calling this perfect being selfish, I'd say that's a very anthropomorphic thing to say. How can we apply human qualities to a being who knows everything and an do anything?
Is a perfect being in an imperfect world perfect? Does not the fact that it is incapable of not making the rest of creation perfect show that it is imperfect?

Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but after reading the story of the Bible, God as presented in it seems to be a deeply flawed character. Rather than being "perfect" one might consider Him to be comically incompetent. He creates a Paradise, then watches as it gets spoiled almost instantly, then sends a flood to wipe out everything on earth, then tries to fix everything by incarnating to speak to his Chosen People directly...
Who promptly kill Him.
A perfect Being does not need anything and has no wants, as in what He requires. But why must everything else be perfect for such a being to be perfect Himself? Does it lose in perfection if it tries to perfect everything else? Of course not, else it wouldn't be perfect. Now, you can say everything is not Perfect, so therefore He failed and therefore cannot be Perfect - but how do you discount that this perhaps just has not occured yet? In infinite terms it is completed, perhaps the process is still being completed in our more finite perspective? This thus becomes a question of Theodicy, but how can we assume a failure thereof without seeing the end-point? A difficult question, sure, perhaps one that borders on Faith?

I for one, think that to have a perfect world would require imperfection - almost like the concept of Wabi-sabi. For instance, to have free will is 'imperfect', as it would require that less than perfect choices be made, but a world without free will would be tyrannical - and therefore imperfect.
Similarly, things need to end, to stay within golden means - like Apoptosis of cells. Overgrowth is monstrous, in fact cancerous, as permanent organic life as well. This is 'imperfect', but achieves balance or perfection in the whole, perhaps. Perfection requires some level of limitation, or the difference between it and the monstrous, vanishes.

Regardless, we are forced to do much anthropomorphisation when discussing this, as we as imperfect beings are of course unable to properly conceive perfection - we are extrapolating from our own experience of what it should be. My use of Selfish in the OP follows from the assumption that a perfect being would only act in self-interest, which I feel legitimately implies use of the word.

I think the Christian God is perfect, as I am a Christian. My perspective on Him, my human understanding, by nature would be imperfect - hence our writings on Him are similarly expressed in such terms. This is why Church Fathers often say ideas like the Wrath of God should not be understood in our narrow human terminology. It is to give us an idea of God, but doesn't fully express it. Perhaps we are unable to do so, for if we could comprehend God, we might be erecting a human idol, a construction of theology, a Golden Calf, which we have the gall to term God and worship.

The sacrifice on Calvary seems to me the only way to bring various strands of human belief and experience to fruition. It requires the background for it to be set, which requires the Jewish mythos to be established to frame the understanding. A personal perspective, but I cannot conceive a better fulfillment of human religious experience, of spiritual qualia, than the sacrifice and debasement and ultimate redemption of man, on the cross of Calvary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A perfect Being does not need anything and has no wants, as in what He requires. But why must everything else be perfect for such a being to be perfect Himself? Does it lose in perfection if it tries to perfect everything else? Of course not, else it wouldn't be perfect. Now, you can say everything is not Perfect, so therefore He failed and therefore cannot be Perfect - but how do you discount that this perhaps just has not occured yet? In infinite terms it is completed, perhaps the process is still being completed in our more finite perspective? This thus becomes a question of Theodicy, but how can we assume a failure thereof without seeing the end-point? A difficult question, sure, perhaps one that borders on Faith?

Ah, but we're not talking about "a really, really good person" here, are we? We're talking about perfection. As in, "absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, maximal goodness and rightness".
That being the case, yes, I do think we can say that nothing can be perfect if it exists in a perfect world. If it were perfect, it would have the power, ability and desire to make everything else perfect; indeed, such a state would never have arisen, because it would never have allowed imperfection to take place in the first place. Indeed, if we say that it is going to make things perfect, we can see that it is imperfect, as it lacks either the power or the will to make things perfect right now. "Perfection" really does go to a whole new level of meaning that we are unused to using in our imperfect, everyday lives.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but we're not talking about "a really, really good person" here, are we? We're talking about perfection. As in, "absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, maximal goodness and rightness".
That being the case, yes, I do think we can say that nothing can be perfect if it exists in a perfect world. If it were perfect, it would have the power, ability and desire to make everything else perfect; indeed, such a state would never have arisen, because it would never have allowed imperfection to take place in the first place. Indeed, if we say that it is going to make things perfect, we can see that it is imperfect, as it lacks either the power or the will to make things perfect right now. "Perfection" really does go to a whole new level of meaning that we are unused to using in our imperfect, everyday lives.
I would just consider that temporal chauvinism. When building the Parthenon, all the pillars would be skew when put up, but upon completion of the building, would perfectly fit to appear straight from the perspective of the viewer. That which was imperfect, was perfect from the perspective of the whole. In like manner, imperfect man could perhaps be moulded into that which would be perfect and complete in the end. The stone that the builders discarded, becomes the cornerstone after all. That it appears imperfect before the process is completed, means nothing. Nor does the argument that 'process' should not occur hold water - How can we tell the perfect means to achieve an end we can't properly fathom anyway? From our usual perspective, process occurs, and usually is the best method - for instance, a foetus does not require good transfusion of its lungs, so establishment of adult circulation later conserves energy and such.

I don't know if you are following my argument very well, or I am perhaps doing poorly at explaining it. Imperfection is required for perfection. Things must come to be and pass away, which in themselves are imperfect, but ultimately what is Ideal may result therefrom - like a foetus has to go through various stages in its embryology, each imperfect, to become a fully formed child.
Besides, for a perfect being to exist from our perspective, it must allow for our existence as a sort of anthropic principle anyway, otherwise we can't really deem it perfect, as we would judge perfection according to our understanding thereof. The argument that we exist, so a perfect being can't, is fallacious and a petitio principii, therefore - any attempt to define perfection in such a way, would fall short of human ideals of what would constitute the Good; which classically has been ascribed to the supreme God.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Who promptly kill Him.
Exactly.

What we see in the Bible is not a perfect being creating with perfect competence.

Rather we see a creator who is also along for the ride and growing with us.

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Exactly.

What we see in the Bible is not a perfect being creating with perfect competence.

Perhaps it is us doing the growing, and thus our perception altering of Him? Do you think the same of your father today, than when you were 20 or 10 or 6? If you put writings from those ages alongside, would that not show an evolution in your understanding of him, that could be construed as his own evolution? Does this mean he substantially changed? Would not your perception of him, circa your age 6, today be very different?
Not to argue presentism or that later thinkers better than earlier ones, but it is hard to differentiate between evolution by the subject and evolution by the method of investigation of the subject. Look at the difference between Galenic and modern Physiology, or Alchemy and Chemistry.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it is us doing the growing, and thus our perception altering of Him? Do you think the same of your father today, than when you were 20 or 10 or 6? If you put writings from those ages alongside, would that not show an evolution in your understanding of him, that could be construed as his own evolution? Does this mean he substantially changed? Would not your perception of him, circa your age 6, today be very different?
Not to argue presentism or that later thinkers better than earlier ones, but it is hard to differentiate between evolution by the subject and evolution by the method of investigation of the subject. Look at the difference between Galenic and modern Physiology, or Alchemy and Chemistry.
Actually my father did change from when I was 6 to when I was older. We'd all find it disappointing if a person didnt grow in wisdom over, say, a 25 year span, dont you think?

Yes its possible that the tone of the Bible represent the culture's pov, and I think it does. But thats because I think it was written by people rather than of divine origin.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Roughly, God being perfect has no need to create anything as He has no wants, and therefore, without motive to create. Consequently, a perfect God would not do so.
Romans 8:29 says God predestined people to be conformed to the image of Jesus. From this, I see that God's motivation for creating this universe is so He has this place for producing and growing His children who are becoming like Jesus.

So, He might not have need, but He does so delight in His Son that He decided to create this place for having and growing us as His children who become enjoyable to Him like Jesus is so pleasing to our Father.

A perfect Being does not need anything and has no wants, as in what He requires.
Now, may be we could say God is "love"; and so He needs to have beings for Him to love. And He our Father loves as family; so He would want to have children, not only pets and puppets!

:) God bless you, too :)

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
For instance, to have free will is 'imperfect', as it would require that less than perfect choices be made, but a world without free will would be tyrannical - and therefore imperfect.
I thought this was interesting. You don't think God has free will either?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

This is the very thing in question. You say that a desire implies an imperfection. Why should we accept that?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Where do you think the Bible suggests that God changes in an ontological or ethical sense?

The very concept of "growth" assumes a certain teleology. It would assume that there is a perfectly mature version of God that God is growing into. This is what "growth" means in a human, biological sense. But then God would not be God at all because there would be some standard outside of himself by which his maturity is measured. Where do you get that standard?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Where do you think the Bible suggests that God changes in an ontological or ethical sense?

The very concept of "growth" assumes a certain teleology. It would assume that there is a perfectly mature version of God that God is growing into. This is what "growth" means in a human, biological sense. But then God would not be God at all because there would be some standard outside of himself by which his maturity is measured. Where do you get that standard?
I'm just relay how the books of the Bible seem to me. I have no need to shoehorn it into any preferred theology.

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn't portray perfection as lack of want or desire, since desire is central to intent.

Perfection simply means the highest standard by which we comparatively evaluate certain hierarchy of order. By saying that God is perfect, we simply imply that God is at the top of that hierarchy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Who promptly kill Him.

What a masterly, yet ironic stroke of genius within the plot structure!

Shakespeare would be envious....me thinks! ^_^ ...No?

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Perfection simply means...
I think the problem is that “perfect being” isn’t a phrase that’s going to be agreed on, so I find the whole exercise futile.

For example, I can’t think of anything more perfect than having no properties at all. Which would make a perfect being non existent.

Now you can say that’s a rediculous idea, but since all notions of “perfect” are subjective, they’re all on equal footing.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Quid est Veritas?, InterestedAtheist, durangodawood, devolved,

I will try to be brief but this is a huge topic.

It all goes back to the objective (man’s objective):

God is not creating to get something out of man and man will cost God a lot.

A created thing could not provide anything to its creator.

God’s Love would compel God to create beings He could shower with unbelievable gift (God is the ultimate Lover, totally unselfish, and thus a giver not looking to “get” anything), the greatest gift being to become like Himself in that the beings could Love like God Himself Loves (God is Love).

The “problem” being God cannot create beings just like Christ, since Christ is not a created being, so the best that can be done is to create beings that are “very good” (as good as they can be made).

A created being cannot instinctively have Godly type Love since that would be a robotic type of Love which is not like God’s Love and God cannot force Godly type Love on someone since that would be like a shotgun wedding with God holding the shotgun (not Loving on God’s part and the forced Love would not be Godly type Love). Each person has to, of their own free will, accept God’s Love as pure undeserved charity (that is the only way it could be given since it cannot be earned, learned, developed, paid for afterwards, nor deserved).

Our life on earth is all about obtaining and growing this Love so we can fulfill the mission statement of “Loving God (and secondly others) with all our heart, soul, mind and energy”.

This messed up world is actually the very best situation for humans to obtain Godly type Love, but the person has to be willing to humble themselves to the point of accept pure charity, which most people find very difficult even though they are spiraling down to the pigsty of the life (Prodigal son reference).

God allows or causes: Christ to go to the cross, satan to roam the earth, tragedies of all kinds, death, hell and even sin to help willing individuals fulfill their objective.

You might think that has to be a better way and might prefer to be in a Garden of Eden situation, but the story (believe it or not) of Adam and Eve shows us and them the Garden was a lousy place to fulfill our objective.

Tell me this: Would you prefer to be in a place where your eternal close relationship with God was dependent on your personal ability to obey God (the Garden) or in a place where your eternal close relationship with God was just dependent on your humbly accepting His Charity (where you are today)?

God goes through all this because He is God (perfect), without the need for anyone to accept His charity.

Upvote 0