Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Apparently there are White swans!! Whooda thunkit?

Did you know that there was such a thing as a white swan?

No? Me neither – I just assumed they were all black but, apparently white swans do exist outside of fairy tales. One was recently found here in Australia, down in Tassie. I kid you not.:rolleyes:

I’m sure that all of you, up there in the Northern Hemisphere, will be equally amazed at this discovery.

Read on>>

MICROSOFT NEWS
Tasmania's only known white-plumaged black swan recovering from multiple gunshot wounds (msn.com)

A rare, white swan — considered to be one of a kind — is being monitored after rescuers found it with a broken wing and "riddled with pellets".

The swan, which was found injured at Woods Lake in Tasmania's Central Highlands is "almost certainly" the only white, black swan known to exist.

"Seeing a white form of a black swan is a first in my lifetime," said ornithologist Eric Woehler. "It's remarkable."

Dr Woehler, the Tasmanian convener of BirdLife Australia, said the bird's unusual plumage was the result of a rare genetic mutation.

"It's not an albino. When I looked at the photos, it still has pigmentation on its beak and around its eye. So it's not an albino. It's what we call a leucistic bird."

Local fisherman Jake Hume and his wife Stevie first saw the swan in 2018. Over the years, Mr Hume has returned to Woods Lake, including in January, when he was able to spot the elusive bird again.

But it was last weekend, when a social media post about the same swan inspired the couple to seek out the bird again, that the cruel discovery was made.

"As we got closer I noticed it was different this time. We realised the bird was in distress and couldn't take off," Mr Hume said.

The couple phoned Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary for help, which led to carer and rescuer Lyndsey Sumpton driving 130 kilometres from Exeter to Steppes to help.

Amazed Tasmanian couple holding a genuine WHITE swan.
BB1guspZ.img

More:

Tasmania's only known white-plumaged black swan recovering from multiple gunshot wounds (msn.com)

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

No? Me neither – I just assumed they were all black but, apparently white swans do exist outside of fairy tales. One was recently found here in Australia, down in Tassie. I kid you not.:rolleyes:

I’m sure that all of you, up there in the Northern Hemisphere, will be equally amazed at this discovery.

Read on>>

MICROSOFT NEWS

A rare, white swan — considered to be one of a kind — is being monitored after rescuers found it with a broken wing and "riddled with pellets".

The swan, which was found injured at Woods Lake in Tasmania's Central Highlands is "almost certainly" the only white, black swan known to exist.

"Seeing a white form of a black swan is a first in my lifetime," said ornithologist Eric Woehler. "It's remarkable."

Dr Woehler, the Tasmanian convener of BirdLife Australia, said the bird's unusual plumage was the result of a rare genetic mutation.

"It's not an albino. When I looked at the photos, it still has pigmentation on its beak and around its eye. So it's not an albino. It's what we call a leucistic bird."

Local fisherman Jake Hume and his wife Stevie first saw the swan in 2018. Over the years, Mr Hume has returned to Woods Lake, including in January, when he was able to spot the elusive bird again.

But it was last weekend, when a social media post about the same swan inspired the couple to seek out the bird again, that the cruel discovery was made.

"As we got closer I noticed it was different this time. We realised the bird was in distress and couldn't take off," Mr Hume said.

The couple phoned Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary for help, which led to carer and rescuer Lyndsey Sumpton driving 130 kilometres from Exeter to Steppes to help.

BB1guspZ.img

More:

There are more than 5000 trumpeter swans that hang out in Wisconsin in the USA. I have seen hundreds of them with my own eyes. And heard the loud things too. Huge birds, white, and as big as or bigger than the one in your picture. No longer an endangered species.
Cygnus buccinator: A comeback for the ages | Wisconsin DNR

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting I didn't know there were black swans! The only swans I've seen are white. Then I read THIS. "The Northern Hemisphere species of swan have pure white plumage, but the Southern Hemisphere species are mixed black and white." So it depends where you live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Read on>>

MICROSOFT NEWS

BB1guspZ.img

More:

huh! I thought all swans were white.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting I didn't know there were black swans! The only swans I've seen are white. Then I read THIS. "The Northern Hemisphere species of swan have pure white plumage, but the Southern Hemisphere species are mixed black and white." So it depends where you live.

I heard chicken has a different flavor in the southern hemisphere as well, from people I know who have vacationed there.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard chicken has a different flavor in the southern hemisphere as well, from people I know who have vacationed there.
They cook them in Vegemite. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's because they are grown upside down.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

What you call swan we call chicken.

That might help to explain the flavour difference.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Down here a Black Swan Event really is a Black Swan Event.

About | Black Swan Events

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I love both. Maybe Australia only has black swans because the Queen of England owns all the white ones?:sorry:

The only reason Her Maj has white swans is because she washes them regularly with a good quality detergent.

We prefer our swans au naturel.:)

OB

Upvote 0