Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No as no one has seen the Resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. That ended with Paul as we read below.

Acts 1:21-22
Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection."

Acts 5:29-32
Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead — whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31 God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Luke 1:1-2
Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.

1 Corinthians 9:1-2
Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord? 2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:3-9
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

The word apostle means “one who is sent out.” In the New Testament, there are two primary usages of the word apostle. The first is in specifically referring to the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ. The second is in generically referring to other individuals who are sent out to be messengers/ambassadors of Jesus Christ.

The twelve apostles held a unique position. In referring to the New Jerusalem, Revelation 21:14 states, “The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.” The twelve apostles are also referred to in Matthew 10:2; Mark 3:14; 4:10; 6:7; 9:35; 14:10, 17, 20; Luke 6:13; 9:1; 22:14; John 6:71; Acts 6:2; and 1 Corinthians 15:5. It was these twelve apostles who were the first messengers of the gospel after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It was these twelve apostles who were the foundation of the church—with Jesus being the cornerstone (Ephesians 2:20).

This specific type of apostle is not present in the church today. The qualifications of this type of apostle were:

(1) to have been a witness of the resurrected Christ (1 Corinthians 9:1),
(2) to have been explicitly chosen by the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:15), and
(3) to have the ability to perform signs and wonders (Acts 2:43; 2 Corinthians 12:12).

The responsibility of the twelve apostles, laying the foundation of the church, would also argue for their uniqueness. Two thousand years later, we are not still working on the foundation.got?

hope this helps !!!

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Jesus is YHWH, you put this in Controversial Christian Theology. Are you acknowledging that the contemporary "fivefold ministries" [Ephesians 4:11-13] are considered to be the orthodox Theology...?

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-
@Jesus is YHWH, you put this in Controversial Christian Theology. Are you acknowledging that the contemporary "fivefold ministries" [Ephesians 4:11-13] are considered to be the orthodox Theology...?
I'm saying the office no longer exists it died with the Apostles in the 1st Century. Some people think there are Apostles today as in the original 12 with the same authority. The church was built upon their foundation.

Ephesians 2:19-20
So then you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone

Ephesians 3:5
which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying the office no longer exists it died with the Apostles in the 1st Century. Some people think there are Apostles today as in the original 12 with the same authority. The church was built upon their foundation.
If that is commonly held, how is it controversial?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JiY...

I don't agree with your position as it includes too may theological assumptions.

I also don't agree because He appeared to me face to face when I was about 8 years old.

These appearances are not that rare but folks are reticent to speak of them because to do so attracts ridicule. I am almost 75 and have walked a long hard road so I don't so much care about what folks think anymore.

I do not claim some Apostolic calling - I am called to proclaim His Great Love and Mercy and to walk in what He has appointed.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0