Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is apostasy to you?

bugkiller
The CC uses it three ways. Abandoning one's faith, such leaving Christianity for Islam. The abandonment of one's ecclesiastical state, leaving the priesthood and the abandonment of a Monk from his Monastery with no intention of returning.

It think that the apostasy of 2 Thessalonians 2:3 refers to the abandonment of Christianity.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

The CC uses it three ways. Abandoning one's faith, such leaving Christianity for Islam. The abandonment of one's ecclesiastical state, leaving the priesthood and the abandonment of a Monk from his Monastery with no intention of returning.

It think that the apostasy of 2 Thessalonians 2:3 refers to the abandonment of Christianity.

What are the consequences for a priest who leaves the priesthood?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What are the consequences for a priest who leaves the priesthood?
Huh, he cannot preform anymore of his priestly duties? That is a vague question considering there may be a multitude of reasons why a priest would choose to leave the priesthood.

God is really the one with the ability to judge "consequences". A priest takes his vows to God thus when he abandons those vows, God will be his judge.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is apostasy to you?

bugkiller
927154.gif

11 Thessalonians 2:3-4 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the Temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Falling ~ apostasy #646, apostasia fem. of the same as 647, defection from truth (prop. the state) apostasy - falling away, forsake - #647 divorce, writing of divorcement
The apostasy is when many that love God will be deceived because they don't have the love of the truth. They prefer to have their ears tickled...
2:10-12 And with all deceiveableness of unrighteousness in them that perish: because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

They are given the truth but won't accept it. I believe the lie is the rapture doctrine.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So would someone from your church be an apostate if they joined another christian denomination? Some churches teach that.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
11 Thessalonians 2:3-4 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the Temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
Falling ~ apostasy #646, apostasia fem. of the same as 647, defection from truth (prop. the state) apostasy - falling away, forsake - #647 divorce, writing of divorcement
The apostasy is when many that love God will be deceived because they don't have the love of the truth. They prefer to have their ears tickled...
2:10-12 And with all deceiveableness of unrighteousness in them that perish: because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
They are given the truth but won't accept it. I believe the lie is the rapture doctrine.
First thanks for the biblical presentation.

Are there apostates in your church? I am sure there are many in most if not all churches. They are members but don't have a redeemed relationship with God. For instance I was told we come here for the children. I would hold an unexpressed private opinion that they are not Christian. I would wonder if they were once born agaoin believers or if they are never beens.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am considered an apostate Jew because I was born and raised Jewish but am now a born again Christian.
Apostasy being good or bad is in the eye of the beholder in many cases. The Spirit has surely shown the good in you.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So would someone from your church be an apostate if they joined another christian denomination? Some churches teach that.

bugkiller
Not sure exactly. Much would depend on how much they truly "understood" the teaching of the Catholic Church and why they changed Churches.

There are many ex-Catholics who are wonderful Christians in other Churches just as there are many wonderful Catholic Christians who were in other Churches.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Not sure exactly. Much would depend on how much they truly "understood" the teaching of the Catholic Church and why they changed Churches.

There are many ex-Catholics who are wonderful Christians in other Churches just as there are many wonderful Catholic Christians who were in other Churches.
I think the word apostate as applying to a has been Christian. This would mean that they are no longer Christian as in having a redeemed relationship with God.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the word apostate as applying to a has Christian. This would mean that they are no longer Christian as in having a redeemed relationship with God.

bugkiller
It can be used that way but the word apostasy means-apo, from, and stasis, station, standing, or position. So it means from station or from position.

How it is then used in context of a writing would dictate what type of apostasy is in effect.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It can be used that way but the word apostasy means-apo, from, and stasis, station, standing, or position. So it means from station or from position.

How it is then used in context of a writing would dictate what type of apostasy is in effect.
OK that is fair game. I am trying to apply it exclusively to the Christians walk/relationship with God. It seems to me that there are some who say your are apostate if you leaves our chruch without effect to one's relationship to God.

My dictionary says apostasy is the abandonment of one's religious faith. This is the direction and sbuject I would like to pursue.

So is changing denominations abandoning your relationship with God? I think those churches that teach such may be using the term apostatize in a condemning manner referring to one's faith in God while in actuality only referring to the organization they may have left.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

bugkiller
927154.gif

the Catholic Church does not teach that
an apostate is someone who was christian and then stops being a christian
to join another church would be schism and/or heresy, but not apostacy

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Heres an example of such a thing you can see from scripture itself in the same accord here

1Kings 22:20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

1Kings 22:21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.

1Kings 22:21 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

1Kings 22:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2Thes 2:9-11 [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Also here...

Duet 13:1-2 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

Duet 13:3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God ***proveth you***, to ***know*** whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

1Cr 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Jerm 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream,let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

Now here in relation to the chaff and the wheat it says...

Luke 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heres an example of such a thing you can see from scripture itself in the same accord here

1Kings 22:20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

1Kings 22:21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.

1Kings 22:21 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

1Kings 22:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2Thes 2:9-11 [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Also here...

Duet 13:1-2 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

Duet 13:3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God ***proveth you***, to ***know*** whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

1Cr 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Jerm 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream,let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

Now here in relation to the chaff and the wheat it says...

Luke 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Yes...He proveth us. We must read His Words...not listen to those of man. We may not have all the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth but....we MUST have the love of the truth!

Upvote 0