Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Apophatic prayer has been a great blessing to me over the last 20 years and at different times I found that kataphatic prayer at times, can increased stress and anxiety. I'm guessing this is probably due to a strain of legalism running through my Spirit...but I digress. The mental chatter that often accompanies kataphatic prayer, especially at this point in my Christian life, leaves me restless and close to incapable of worshipping our Lord Jesus Christ.

Anyone else on the forum have similar experiences?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Reactions: zippy2006

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also tend toward apophatic prayer, wordless, imageless prayer. Just sitting in silence, awake and alert, waiting, listening.

So my experience of God is pretty abstract. I have come to accept that. Not many warm fuzzy experiences.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apophatic prayer has been a great blessing to me over the last 20 years and at different times I found that kataphatic prayer at times, can increased stress and anxiety. I'm guessing this is probably due to a strain of legalism running through my Spirit...but I digress. The mental chatter that often accompanies kataphatic prayer, especially at this point in my Christian life, leaves me restless and close to incapable of worshipping our Lord Jesus Christ.

Anyone else on the forum have similar experiences?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Still there? Still meditating.

Do you get to moments of inner silence? Alert stillness?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think this is probably true.

Many people tend not to discuss such things very freely.

I spoke with a Catholic Priest about it and he confirmed it was not unusual. Crazy thing is...I explained the same experiences to a Zen Priest and he also confirmed it was not unusual.

This causes me to pause.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I spoke with a Catholic Priest about it and he confirmed it was not unusual. Crazy thing is...I explained the same experiences to a Zen Priest and he also confirmed it was not unusual.

This causes me to pause.

Yes ... there is certainly a place to be aware of various kinds of spiritual experiences and how they compare between Christianity and non-Christianity, and some reasons why.

This is why we place great value on having an experienced spiritual father - there really are a lot of pitfalls.

Perhaps one reason why people tend not to talk freely.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spherical

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
US
✟111,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, whenever I do my hour of prayer, I start with silence. About 15 to 20 minutes after, I start praying for specific people or things, and then a moment of giving God thanks, praise, and worship, usually ending with another moment of silent prayer. I like to combine the two, but apophatic prayer tends to be predominant.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't try to pray in images, but sometimes when I'm asking God something or he is trying to caution me, an image will pop in my mind, sometimes unsettling if it's something I need to be aware of or cautious of.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Still there? Still meditating.

Do you get to moments of inner silence? Alert stillness?

I have a background in mindfulness (Thich Nhat Hanh's lineage of Buddhism), and I sometimes did something similar as a Christian, too. Not for long periods, though. When people pray at church in the prayers of the people, I try to get into that state of mind.

I'm doing alot of reading right now on Zen and getting back into that (I also have a book by Jim Pym). It has been a struggle to get back into sitting because sitting for more than ten or twelve minutes is hard for me (but it wasn't before, twelve years ago, when I meditated alot). I start noticing difficult feelings coming up that unsettle me, primarily it feels like tension.

I have a really hard time as of late in a Lutheran church because there is so little guidance on spirituality. It seems Lutherans idea of spirituality is banality. There is a Garrison Keillor joke, "Lutherans believe in prayer, though only sometimes out loud", and this is very true. I've just sort of absorbed an anti-introspective attitude as a Lutheran. To the point sometimes it feels like a detriment, especially as I started developing problems with over-eating and gaining weight (something I have never had happen before). So I have decided to stop trying to be a "good Lutheran" and go with what seems to work for me.

Getting back into meditation and working with biofeedback (I use an emWave, which is a cool little machine that senses heart rate); it's helped me lose a little weight as I become more mindful of my eating habits and it's helped me to stay motivated to go to the gymn and get in some walking on the treadmill. I find more moments of contentment, too, whereas I realize before I had alot of rumination going on in my head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This causes me to pause.
It should.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It should.

There are some Christians that have experience with Zen. The Benedictine Br. David Stendahl-Rast, for instance.

I watched a documentary about Br. David on youtube. He's the real deal. He talked about spending alot of time washing dishes in the monastery and the importance that had for him in his spiritual life, and I was reminded alot of Br. Lawrence, another Benedictine, who had similar experiences.

I have a book on Center Prayer, and it has a quote by one of the desert fathers on contemplative prayer, and he's also seemingly speaking of the same thing- mindfulness. So I think the similarities are not all that surprising. The metaphysics may be different, but the experiences aren't necessarily.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are some Christians that have experience with Zen. The Benedictine Br. David Stendahl-Rast, for instance.

I watched a documentary about Br. David on youtube. He's the real deal. He talked about spending alot of time washing dishes in the monastery and the importance that had for him in his spiritual life, and I was reminded alot of Br. Lawrence, another Benedictine, who had similar experiences.

I have a book on Center Prayer, and it has a quote by one of the desert fathers on contemplative prayer, and he's also seemingly speaking of the same thing- mindfulness. So I think the similarities are not all that surprising. The metaphysics may be different, but the experiences aren't necessarily.
I oppose normalizing pagan spirituality and experience based religion among Christians.
God is not a drug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I rather see a common thread that has to do with reflection, deeper self, world and God understanding, and even healing. I think the Lord has been at work across cultures and ages so I look for the good instead of condemning what may be unfamiliar to me.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I rather see a common thread that has to do with reflection, deeper self, world and God understanding, and even healing. I think the Lord has been at work across cultures and ages so I look for the good instead of condemning what may be unfamiliar to me.

They are juggling around some of the same existential anxieties we all share, having been on both sides of the fence. What makes sense to you and speaks to you is going to vary from culture to culture and individual to individual.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0