fallentoa

Mar 31, 2004
derbyshire
✟159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Outside of Van Til and Bahnsen, any recommendations on authors?

Thanks!
The best book of all is the written word of God as every answer you could possibly want is within those pages, no amount of books can replace it. I've had so many folk tell me about so many books in the past but we are only reading their opinions on whatever subject they have within them but what if those books have false teaching that's so near the truth but isn't the truth. Even one mistake can take you from the word of God and how can God help if your taking advice from other sources that aren't his. God answers prayers of a righteous man not someone who takes teaching from everyone else but God himself. I know who I'd rather trust and its God not man.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

llrprecon

Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX; USA
✟8,111.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes that is true, the Word of God does have all of the answers, unfortunately when discussing the Christian Worldview with those of other faiths or of no faith at all you have to work your way there but of course along the way we want to salt our discussions with varying amounts of it that apply to the situation. The key in doing so is to do your apologetic out of love and a humble spirit (1 Peter 3:15).

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes that is true, the Word of God does have all of the answers, unfortunately when discussing the Christian Worldview with those of other faiths or of no faith at all you have to work your way there but of course along the way we want to salt our discussions with varying amounts of it that apply to the situation. The key in doing so is to do your apologetic out of love and a humble spirit (1 Peter 3:15).
Start the discussion with the non-believer along these lines...

1. What kind of God, if any, actually exists?
2. Is there anything beyond the cosmos?
3. What can be known and how can anyone know it?
4. Where did I come from?
5. Who am I?
6. Where am I?
7. How should I live?
8. What should I consider of great worth?
9. What is humanity's fundamental problem?
10. How can humanity's problem be solved?
11. What is the meaning and direction of history?
12. Will I survive the death of my body and, if so, in what state?

see also:
http://www.amazon.com/World-Difference-Reasons-Believe-Truth-Claims-ebook/dp/B00B8582GK

• Winner
Reactions: forlovingHim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For a generally confused lay person on the street like me, lol, I need simplicity.

This book was helpful to me:

Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh Mcdowell

It is available on amazon

What really struck me is the argument that if they were lying, surely the sheer agony of being crucified upside down for example, would bring the truth out of them if they were lying.

• Winner
Reactions: forlovingHim
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a generally confused lay person on the street like me, lol, I need simplicity.

What really struck me is the argument that if they were lying, surely the sheer agony of being crucified upside down for example, would bring the truth out of them if they were lying.

I LOVED that book. It was very convincing. It's laid out like notes in a college course so you need to be interested in the topic to persist. I was raised in a Christian home, but as an early adult was having some doubts and wondering if the Bible were really true or if it was a giant hoax running the morals/restrictions of my life.

It was instrumental in convincing me the Bible was true and which led me to earnestly seek to be converted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iarrthoir

Jan 8, 2018
California
✟19,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did like a book by an author by the last name of Yancy. Believe his first name was Philip. Been awhile so not sure. Also MacArthur is good as well for information. Favorite author will be Dietrich Bonhoeffer though. His book on discipleship is great.

Upvote 0

forlovingHim

Oct 24, 2017
Muncie
✟18,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Celibate

I can knowledgeably support this one because I have the first volume (there are 2 volumes that I know of). What I love is that it seems near-exhaustive. Hundreds of books listed that address so many questions and concerns that people are likely to bring up in discussions about the Bible. I consider it a must-have for Christian Apologetics.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can knowledgeably support this one because I have the first volume (there are 2 volumes that I know of). What I love is that it seems near-exhaustive. Hundreds of books listed that address so many questions and concerns that people are likely to bring up in discussions about the Bible. I consider it a must-have for Christian Apologetics.

He is a good author as is Norm Geisler

Upvote 0