• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

apollumi: the Word that Tells us What Happens to People in Hell

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Mark Corbett, May 1, 2021.

1. Hanging by a Thread

Hanging by a Thread Member

+101
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Whew! That's a relief. You don't offer the best of alternatives but it's a refreshing counter to the posts I often read here purporting that right from the get-go the only thing we "deserve" as humans is eternal damnation.

2. Hanging by a Thread

+101
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    This doesn't directly apply to the topic but I gotta think there are others who- when you really stop and imagine it- find it a bit scary to think of something that never ends (eternity), even if you believe you're going to heaven. It seems strange to me that God would create anyone to be eternally thrown into hell for actions taken in a time frame that amounts to less than a blink of an eye when compared to eternity.

3. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,393
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Is that what the JW's believe?

4. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,393
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    We are all condemned (damned) by the sin of Adam (Romans 5:18).

5. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,393
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    The gravity of the offense is measured by the one offended.

All sin is against God who is infinite.

6. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,993
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Requirements and intentions are not one and the same. We don't know much about his intentions, but we know enough. We know his requirements.

7. Hanging by a Thread

+101
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Sheesh, C'mon, Adam!

8. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,393
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Your physical body loses its life, but it is not annihilated.

Your spirit loses its eternal life, but it is not annihilated.

There is no word in the NT used of "annihilation" of either body, soul or spirit.
    All such words are used to mean "ruin."

9. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Well-Known Member Supporter

+703
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The type of annihilationism I believe in is also called conditional immortality or evangelical conditionalism. I do not get my views from JWs and I disagree with them on a number of important issues, including issues that are much more important than the nature of hell.
    JWs believe in a version of annihilaitonism that is different from what I believe. You would need to check with them or with someone who is more of an expert on them to get the details.
    Muslims believe in a version of eternal torment.
    The fact that a cult or false religion believes something in and of itself makes it neither true or false. We must look to the Bible! May God bless you as you study His Word and seek to understand as much of His revealed truth as possible.

10. Hanging by a Thread

+101
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    (respectfully) No, Mark, we don't. The hundreds of threads that are started here prove this (new covenant vs old, deeds vs simply belief in Christ, varoius denominations, etc..) As individuals we may feel we know his requirements, but collectively, no.

11. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,393
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yeah. . .not good news, is it? But that's what the word of God says (Romans 5:18).

But not to worry. God has provided a remedy (Romans 3:15).

12. Mark Quayle

+1,993
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Give an example.

13. Hanging by a Thread

+101
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    I gave you three of them initially in parenthesis.

14. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+6,999
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Good points. This used to really drive me crazy until one day it dawned on me that if everything was spelled out exactly it would not require faith to believe it.

And I question whether God actually wants us to depend solely on the Bible. It has become a replacement (idol) when we should be seeking a face-to-face relationship. Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice." (from memory) Are we listening to him, or chasing a book?

15. Mark Quayle

+1,993
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    'All three views can be supported biblically' isn't the same as 'all three are supported biblically'. The Bible does not disagree with itself, supporting all three. If one is true, the others aren't. But more, if one of those you posit as supported by the Bible is true, WHAT in it is true, seeing as how there are so many opposing views within that one supposed category?

But my objection has to do with your groupings. I could have made three: Particular Redemption, Annihilationism, Universalism. Yet every Universalist I've encountered has a different mantra and claim as to how that is so. One of them even thinks Universalism and Annihilationism can both be true.

16. Mark Quayle

+1,993
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    This?? You said: "(new covenant vs old, deeds vs simply belief in Christ, varoius denominations, etc..)"

I'm asking for an example of something that God requires that we don't know about.

17. Saint Steven

+6,999
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Really? Are we saved by grace, or works?

18. Saint Steven

+6,999
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Okay, how about if we agree that Ultimate Redemption is true and the others are false? Does that help?

19. Saint Steven

+6,999
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Oh, I get it. This is a PR stunt. - lol

20. Mark Quayle

+1,993
    United States
    Reformed