In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've seen quite a few posts regarding Jim Crow laws and the like and I thought I might get some insight on this matter.

I am a white Afrikaans speaking South African, who was born and spent my first years living in Apartheid South Africa and I was wondering how it compared to life in the Old South before the Civil Rights movement.

A quick summary: Apartheid (which means segregation or separation in Afrikaans) was a system where we divided everyone into racial groups of white, black, coloured (mixed) or indian. They were then each allocated areas in which they lived and were then not allowed to enter the other races' areas without permission. The different black tribes were given 'homelands' which they ruled semi-autonomously which were then used to exclude citizenship and settlement rights to the black population in the rest of the country, as they were considered inhabitants of their homeland regardless where they lived. The non-whites were given passbooks to keep track of them if they entered white areas and as 93% of the country (excluding the homelands) was allocated to the whites, they never needed nor had passbooks.

Non-whites who worked in white areas then always needed permission to enter them and had completely separate amenities from the whites, also separate beaches, hospitals etc. Some areas two identical hospitals were built next to each other, one for whites and one for the rest (Notably Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town).

In all towns there were white or coloured or black or indian areas in which the other races were excluded. When Apartheid was enforced, this involved clearing people out of mixed-race neighbourhoods to make them have only one race (most notoriously District 6 in Cape Town).

Racial miscegenation was banned, meaning theoretically no one could marry or date someone of another race although in practice only in regard to whites versus the others was it enforced.

As most of the country was allocated to the white population (who comprised about 10% of the population) they had historic and practical control of all wealth and power. The other groups essentially acted as labour for the whites. They did not exclude teaching to the other races as they had their own separate universities and schools (for instance Mandela had studied to become a lawyer), but when they graduated they could only be employed amongst their own people, so could never rise much above their station of birth. Non-white doctors or lawyers were essentially employed only in their neighbourhoods which were by nature poor.

All government affairs and teaching was done in Afrikaans or English which only about 23% of the population could understand and all schooling was effectively only in those languages. (Today it is essentially the same except that there is less Afrikaans and a minute smattering of the other 9 official languages)

Obviously there was resistance to this regime from certain quarters which resulted in police raids on townships, arrests of 'troublemakers' and police brutality that sometimes occurred. In turn there were bombings and terrorist attacks carried out by some of the anti-apartheid movements. The US largely turned a blind eye to this until about the mid-80s as South Africa was an anti-communist ally and only then did judicious use of sanctions force the peaceful dismantling of Apartheid in 1990 and the release of Mandela as peacemaker in spite of his militant roots (similar to Malcolm X, I think?).

Sometimes the racial classification was quite bizarre as three brothers might be classed white, coloured or black respectively when it was first implemented, but it was cemented as fixed thereafter. Also, as South Africa did a lot of business with Japan and Taiwan, Japanese and Taiwanese were classed as white and all other East Asians as black.

I would like to know how this agrees with or contrasts to the system of Jim Crow laws and Racial Segregation in the old South. Were the two systems similar or is there some radical difference?

Last edited:

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Curious: What were Native Americans (American Indians) classed as?

What were Jews classed as?
There are no native Americans in South Africa, so I do not know. Probably black or coloured.

Jews were classed as whites.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to know how this agrees with or contrasts to the system of Jim Crow laws and Racial Segregation in the old South. Were the two systems similar or is there some radical difference?

I'll answer this the best way I can. Unfortunately I haven't studied much about the South African Apartheid. As I pointed out awhile ago in the previous thread, Jim Crow was not only enforced legally but also socially. When people think of JC they only think of it in terms of separate drinking fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, etc. But the social aspect of it was a White man shaking hands with a Black man, as it would imply they were equal. One of the blatant examples was Black people could not show affection towards one another in public because it was considered offensive to Whites. Black people were to be called by their first names, weren't given titles like Miss, Mr. Mrs. But most of all, violating JC both legally and socially could have resulted in violence or death. Were there examples like this with the Apartheid?

The one major difference as you pointed out is that Whites, while being a minority control most of the wealth and power. While Blacks in the US are a minority.

http://www.theacru.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ACRU-the-truth-about-jim-crow.pdf

The similarities of course, was in the US "separate but equal" it was separate but it definitely wasn't equal. Sometimes these "separate" facilities didn't even exist.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'll answer this the best way I can. Unfortunately I haven't studied much about the South African Apartheid. As I pointed out awhile ago in the previous thread, Jim Crow was not only enforced legally but also socially. When people think of JC they only think of it in terms of separate drinking fountains, sitting in the back of the bus, etc. But the social aspect of it was a White man shaking hands with a Black man, as it would imply they were equal. One of the blatant examples was Black people could not show affection towards one another in public because it was considered offensive to Whites. Black people were to be called by their first names, weren't given titles like Miss, Mr. Mrs. But most of all, violating JC both legally and socially could have resulted in violence or death. Were there examples like this with the Apartheid?

The one major difference as you pointed out is that Whites, while being a minority control most of the wealth and power. While Blacks in the US are a minority.

http://www.theacru.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ACRU-the-truth-about-jim-crow.pdf

The similarities of course, was in the US "separate but equal" it was separate but it definitely wasn't equal. Sometimes these "separate" facilities didn't even exist.
Such social enforcement wasn't really such a problem I think in South Africa as the black and white populations used different languages and had radically different cultures, so there was not much mixing socially anyway.
In South Africa, blacks were usually just called by name as well and they in turn used 'Baas' and 'Oumiesies' (Boss and a sort of informal Madam respectively) when speaking to whites.
Social interaction was extremely unlikely, but it wouldn't probably have had resulted in violence or death for either party. Legally, if it involved someone entering another racial group's area without permission it would have resulted in fines (maybe incarceration initially with chance of Police brutality as well). Especially preachers interacted with black groups as there were some who acted as the ministers of black congregations and in rural areas there usually wasn't separate churches. The blacks would sit on the gallery and the whites in front of the pulpit. A 'coloured' separate Dutch Reformed Church was later formed, but this also tended to have white ministers.
For instance, we see some whites like Beyers Naude aiding the black liberation movement and meeting with its leaders without legal ramifications, but if you became well-known for it, it could be social suicide. There was a slur called a kaffir-boetie for such people, so I guess its similar but not exactly the same. Rural Afrikaans culture especially is a mixture of a sort of feudal make-up where the farmer lived in his farmhouse with a little village of farmworkers next door. If they have problems they come to the farmer to sort it out and daily the farmer and his workers work in close proximity. So some interaction was not shameful, in fact a necessity as there were so few white labourers. Certain professions like farmhands or basic construction workers or miners were considered beneath whites so were exclusively done by the other races for instance.

Thank you for your response, it has given me some insight.

Upvote 0