Anything wrong with this exegesis?

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus money changer.jpeg

Because zeal for Your house has eaten me up, And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me. (Ps 69:9)

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything wrong with this exegesis?

Because zeal for Your house has eaten me up, And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me. (Ps 69:9)

Jesus also died for each of their sins.

So, there's that.

49745-100447334.1200w.tn.jpg

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well the context was that they were making business from holy things.

So if we wanted to apply this to our days it would not be bankers, but preachers, cardinals and similar, who have a business from the faith of others.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if we wanted to apply this to our days it would not be bankers, but preachers, cardinals and similar, who have a business from the faith of others.

And anyone who builds a church building as a non-profit business.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And ripping ppl off?

So if we wanted to apply this to our days it would not be bankers, but television preachers and other preachers that have a business from the faith of others. And we all know who they are.

So the bankers have reformed themselves? Usury no longer a sin?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And ripping ppl off?
So the bankers have reformed themselves? Usury no longer a sin?

There are no longer any "sins" as a biased general classification.
Each person answers to God in their own heart.

Jesus told the prostitute to "God and sin no more."
Her sin only exists in our imagination.
Jesus doesn't speak of it, identify it, or accuse her of the sin we imagine.

Proverbs 28:14
Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are no longer any "sins" as a biased general classification.
Each person answers to God in their own heart.

So the devil's not a sinner? Those whose hearts' intents are to rob kill and destroy get waved on?

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
View attachment 274252

Did you create that meme?

This happened possibly twice. In one he merely upset their business and in the other he also made a whip out of cords. It's impossible for us to say how much these "bankers" deserved Jesus' anger, but Jesus refers to them as a "den of thieves" which says something. Regarding His general patience with people elsewhere in the Gospels, it must have been pretty bad.

Also, as Jesus stated "I and my Father are One", so gouging prices for doves and turning the money changing into a lucrative business off people who often did not have that much was an offense to God and hence Jesus too.

Also, Jesus never "flogged" a banker. Driving someone away with a whip (we don't even know that he hit them necessarily) is radically different than tying someone to a pole and inflicting intentional and serious wounds with a whip by repeatedly hitting them over and over.

Why must people exaggerate things these days?

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let our conduct speak if need be by contrast, i.e in our own integrity.

Remember Jesus didn't critique non-Christians, only the insiders to His religion.

And we are not the "preacher and cardinal" police (and some of those are good already): we should just plain pray that the flock will carry on getting good shepherds.

Because it also needs us to be merciful co-shepherds! Lk 12:48

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you create that meme?

I can't claim the credit.

This happened possibly twice. In one he merely upset their business and in the other he also made a whip out of cords.

John 2:14 and Matt 21:12, yes there's some controversy over whether 2 separate occasions also because of the timing - in John it's at the start of his ministry, Matt the start of Holy Week. The money changers get a double helping!

It's impossible for us to say how much these "bankers" deserved Jesus' anger, but Jesus refers to them as a "den of thieves" which says something. Regarding His general patience with people elsewhere in the Gospels, it must have been pretty bad.

Indeed. See the money-changers would offer exchange rates to pilgrims to change their denarius or drachma or whatever into temple shekels. So they were at least gouging on the exchange rate. There's more to it, and that's what the banksters also do today, which is to obfuscate the currency.

Also, as Jesus stated "I and my Father are One", so gouging prices for doves and turning the money changing into a lucrative business off people who often did not have that much was an offense to God and hence Jesus too.

The 'cleansing of the temple' is a rite the value of whch cannot be underestimated, just as it's axiomatic that the love of money is the root of all evil and the worst kind of idolatry.

Also, Jesus never "flogged" a banker. Driving someone away with a whip (we don't even know that he hit them necessarily) is radically different than tying someone to a pole and inflicting intentional and serious wounds with a whip by repeatedly hitting them over and over.

The picture does not show him flogging them aboard a prison hulk. I don't doubt that some of the more stubborn ones would have caught a taste of his ire.

Why must people exaggerate things these days?

Because Biblical idiom isn't saturated with hyperbole?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you actually read the text, there is nothing about ripping people off.

So where does the accusation of thievery come into it?

The story is not about bankers, at all. Its about making business with holy things, in the temple of God.

It's about money changers. Isn't money-changing a division of banking business? Recall the ancient Greek trapezitae, for example, and the notorious Bank of Delphi. Do you know how finance worked in the ancient world? It played a key role then as it does now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Which part?
Suggesting "flogging people" in not the zeal for the house of God, whose house are we, if we hold fast to our faith to the end. Here is zeal for "God's House":
Romans 14:13. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So where does the accusation of thievery come into it?
Its also good to remember it was a quotation, not an actual accusation.

It's about money changers. Isn't money-changing a division of banking business? Recall the ancient Greek trapezitae, for example, and the notorious Bank of Delphi. Do you know how finance worked in the ancient world? It played a key role then as it does now.
Money changing is not evil. Evil is when you do it in the temple of God. You still lose the point.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suggesting "flogging people" in not the zeal for the house of God, whose house are we, if we hold fast to our faith to the end. Here is zeal for "God's House":
Romans 14:13. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.

So the exegesis on the midrashic teaching is a little too literal for your liking? Is Paul's teaching here consistent with the lesson of 'cleansing of the temple'? In particular, how does it square with Jesus' admonition to the rich young man of divestiture in Matt 19:21?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its also good to remember it was a quotation, not an actual accusation.

Pardon? Did Jesus accuse them of thievery or not?

Money changing is not evil. Evil is when you do it in the temple of God. You still lose the point.

I agree, Jesus admonishes them for turning God's house into a commercial operation. But that's not the basis for the thievery accusation, is it?

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 274252

Banks are businesses. It should be expected that they make a profit on their business. They provide investment opportunities. It is up to us (the potential investor) to use discernment whether borrowing from or lending our money to a bank.
Proverbs 22:26-27
Be not one of those who give pledges, who put up security for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, why should your bed be taken from under you?

People also receive interest by lending to banks. Should people be flogged for making a profit from a bank? Of course not because, in either case, both parties sign on the dotted line when the terms of the contract are agreeable.
This was also the case with OT Israel. However, God expected His people to make exceptions for people whom they knew, and for those in severe economic distress.
Deuteronomy 23:20
"You may charge a foreigner interest, but you may not charge your brother interest, that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake in the land that you are entering to take possession of it."
Exodus 22:25
“If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him."

Upvote 0