Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a little behind, still catching up on Red Carpet, so I won't have any spoilers.

Mel Gibson and Andrew Garfield spoke so lovingly about their experience filming "Hacksaw Ridge." What an important movie about courage and compassion--all in one amazing individual. I have to admit I always kind of root for the substantive movies. "Hidden Figures" and "Hacksaw Ridge" are my favorites.

It doesn't sound as if there will be many surprises in the acting categories. I am a huge Viola Davis fan ever since she exploded on to the screen as the mother of a sexually abused boy in "Doubt" (her first Oscar nomination). She was unforgettable--looking forward to seeing "Fences."

It seems as if it's Casey Affleck's Oscar to lose, but I was wowed by Andrew Garfield's performance in "Hacksaw Ridge." We'll see. I'm just up to Justin Timberlake's opener now--and haven't heard any politics yet.

But if there is, bring it on!

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife has been watching, I just came in the room. Viola Davis won, "Fences" is good, with excellent acting, but it is a better play than a movie. It left a lot hanging.

Will probably have one eye on the Oscars for awhile but still do other stuff, like catch up here.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had heard the producer from Iran wasn't attending because he was from one of the countries that were affected by Trump's travel ban. I know the arts community wishes he had been able to feel, morally, that he could attend.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And the Oscar for "Movie you went into thinking was going to be a yielding Darcy Bussellish feel-good calm of spirit-soaring heartwarm, and were sucker punched into a relentless Mike Tysonish devastating fury of soul-crushing heartbreak goes to ... Manchester by the Sea!" *cue Oscar music*

• Haha
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not the best...

It would be hard to top James Corden at the 2016 Tony's--I will always judge future awards hosts by that amazing performance...

I will never forget his rapid-fire journey through every top Broadway musical in history, singing an astonishing array of roles, just wow! (Tried to find it on You Tube and they wanted $4.99 for it...) Anyway, here is the opener from the Tony's.

Billy Crystal was one of my favorite award hosts...Amy Poehler and Tina Fey...Hugh Jackman (be still my heart...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a fan of watching them much, because all those political speeches, and that goes for every political viewpoint out there, seem out of place on an awards show. If I wanted to watch people go on and on about politics, I'd have tuned in to CNN, Fox, or C-Span, not The Oscars.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a fan of watching them much, because all those political speeches, and that goes for every political viewpoint out there, seem out of place on an awards show. If I wanted to watch people go on and on about politics, I'd have tuned in to CNN, Fox, or C-Span, not The Oscars.
Right, you know a nation is in trouble when every (non political) event is turned into a political platform.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums