Anyone want to have a discussion that doesn't end up an argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That would definitely be nice.  I think, since we can only control ourselves, that that's where the battle should be waged.  We should each strive to control our own tempers and season our own speech.  After all, it's the fruit of the Spirit, right?

Galatians 5:22,23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,<SUP> </SUP>gentleness, self-control.

God bless

Upvote 0
I think it's sad that we would rather stick to our opinions than to the Word of God in many cases.&nbsp; All of our arguments come from this.&nbsp; But Paul did prophesy that this would take place:

No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval.&nbsp; (1 Cor 11:19)

If you read the context, you will see that Paul was not happy about this either, but he recognized it as something that must take place because of our sinfulness, and the wicked desires of some who would teach false doctrines.

What is the most sad to me is how we often seem to lose Christ in the process.&nbsp; That is why it is important to remember that we cannot make anyone believe anything.&nbsp; We must simply speak the Word of Truth in love and allow God to be in control.&nbsp; If others want to argue, eventually we must let them believe as they will, though we should never give them our ascent.&nbsp; The largest danger is that false doctrine, if not contradicted by the Truth, will be like leven, infesting the entire lump of dough.&nbsp; What Christ has made pure will then be given over to sin, and eventually, like the seeds in the parable of the sower, be choked of their faith.&nbsp;

I think that is why many here are so ready to stand for there point.&nbsp; They just are zealous for the souls of others.&nbsp; Sadly, sometimes we are zealous without wisdom (Prov 19:2), and because we do not want to accept parts of the Word which expose our own sin, we find ourselves in discord.&nbsp; As James 4:1, 4, 6-7&nbsp;says: <SUP>1</SUP>What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?&nbsp;&nbsp;<SUP>4</SUP>You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. <SUP>6</SUP>But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"God opposes the proud
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;but gives grace to the humble."
<SUP>7</SUP>Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

So yes, I'd love to have a thread which is full of sound doctrine and loving speech.&nbsp; Heaven's gonna be a blast for just that reason.&nbsp; The Truth will be known and all will know it and we will praise God in Christ for it!

As for now, what would you like to talk about?

&nbsp;

Peace to all who seek it

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Reformationist
That would definitely be nice.&nbsp; I think, since we can only control ourselves, that that's where the battle should be waged.&nbsp; We should each strive to control our own tempers and season our own speech.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

I agree with you.&nbsp; The only problem is that none of us can do that.&nbsp; "We all stumble in many ways.&nbsp; If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check."&nbsp; (James 3:2)

We must strive to do our best, but do so with the realization that we will fail, and Christ forgives us for it already.

Peace

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I would like to believe that all of us are basing our opinions on what we believe the Word of God to say. However, not all of us are correct in what we believe.

None us will REALLY know for sure until we see Him face to face and we know everything. Right now, we just have to follow Him as best we know how.

We should be willing to listen to other opinions and be willing to&nbsp;admit that we're wrong when the Holy Spirit and scripture reveals we are wrong.&nbsp;&nbsp;We should treat each other with respect and kindness.

And above ALL . . .Pray for each other.

&nbsp;:pray:

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
I would love to have a nice discussion with out people bashing eachother. Im very new here and noticed right away how this place is mostly fighting and arguing with one another. Im sure there are some that are good debates and civil (I just havent read them yet). It was sad to see fellow Christians arguing over their beliefs and their wisdom on the Lord.

Im very new to the faith as well and don't know much. I came here to read and learn about the bible and how to live as a Christian. I am getting nowhere except more confused. I have found questions that I was wondering about, opened up the thread and it was nothing but arguing. I would like to have threads where a question was asked and the people tried to answer, not put them down for their question. Im glad that others want this as well.

God Bless You,
Jes

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
discussion is good because it allows us 1. to sharpen our mind through study of God's word and 2. to open our minds to the perspectives, experience and thoughs of others. The problem is when you both go into the discussion with closed minds looking to learn nothing at all. That's where it becomes an argument and not a discussion. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gabriel

I Once Was Lost, But Now Am Found
Oct 10, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by paulewog
/me likes it medium rare with some salt and lots of pepper....

/me likes chicken better.

Chicken is better for you, too.

I'm up for a nice discussion as&nbsp;I sometimes lose myself to pompousness.&nbsp; Is that a word?

Most of us that have argued in the past and even those of us that have lost their temper (points finger at self) have agreed on the most important thing.&nbsp; Christ died and rose again to wash away our sin, making us new creatures that in Him we shall see Glory.&nbsp; The best part is once we are there, we will know who was right and who was wrong and WE WON'T CARE!

I thank God for all of you and for His grace that saves us all.

Do we agree on the principle of the covenant family?&nbsp; That God looks out for and protects the family of the believer, especially their children as we see in Luke 7:11-17 when Christ raises the dead son because He favors the mother?

I bring this subject up only because I find it very beautiful and uplifting.&nbsp; If there are questions&nbsp;I will answer to the best of my ability, but&nbsp;I will not argue.

Paulewog, I am beginning to think that orange hat would work nicely at the beach. ;)

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried the McCormick Grill Mates yet? They taste greate on burgers, steaks, chicken and even Salmon.

Good stuff!

Regarding the ability of a discussion not ending up in an argument....I think people can do it...it's when you get to a point in a conversation where it appears someone is trying to convert another person to their POV.

There has to be mutual respect that we will not agree on all points, but hopefully on the essentials.

Peace and good grillin' to you all!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Gabriel
The best part is once we are there, we will know who was right and who was wrong and WE WON'T CARE!&nbsp;

I agree with you very much on this point.&nbsp; It does get rather discouraging to have fellow believers cuttin' you into pieces and calling you a heritic because you&nbsp;don't intrepret the scripture the same way they do.&nbsp;&nbsp;

And while we won't care about the offenses against us, I believe we may be doing alot of apologizing to those we offended.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

I have no scripture for&nbsp;this but I can't&nbsp;imagine seeing God in all His glory and not feeling shame at the wrongfull way I&nbsp;may have treated my brother and sister.&nbsp; Merely because I did not like what they believed.

&nbsp;:o

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.