• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

anyone taking Risperdal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear LuvinJC4ever

NEVER EVER GET RESPERDAL EVEN CLOSE TO ME!!!

This drug would not let me think on something but for a moment.

They put me on this drug when I was in the hospital and when I came home and went into the office I could not do anything because I could not focus on anything but for a very short period of time.

My wife was very concerned that I take all my meds and rightly so. But I invited her into the bathroom and let her watch me pour that med down the toliet. I said I would never take that med again.

AND

I haven't missed it.

It might be ok for VERY TEMPORARY USE to take a mind away from being focused on just one thing but ONLY TEMPORARY!!!

Watch him close and if you find he NEVER gets anything done you will know why.

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O
( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear LuvinJC4ever

Since I don't know Mr. A Lot Of People, I thought you might really need to see this and do some real checking up on this DANGEROUS DRUG:

" THE BASIC FACTS ABOUT RISPERDAL:

RISPERDAL has only two intended, FDA approved purposes: Treating SCHIZOPHRENIA and treating

" THE MOST ACUTE MANIC PHASES of BIPOLAR I DISORDER--the most severe form of the disease"

Its label only lists Schizophrenia, but the FDA has approved it for both. Using it for ANY other purposes is called "Off-label" and is AT ONE'S OWN RISK.

RISPERDAL is a powerful, ATYPICAL, ANTI-PSYCHOTIC drug. Other than that, NO ONE EVEN KNOWS HOW IT WORKS. Its own label states that:

"The mechanism of action of RISPERDAL (risperidone) ... is unknown," but it is "proposed" to involve antagonism of dopamine and serotonin receptors. Like most powerful drugs, or drugs that are not well-understood, it is meant to be used only as a LAST-RESORT option for extreme cases of the psychotic disorders it was designed to cure (and in cases when the doctors have good reason to believe that it will work for a particular patient), NOT as the front-line treatment option it has become for anything from Schizophrenia to autism

RISPERDAL is NOT MEANT for LONG-TERM use. Its label clearly states that "The efficacy of RISPERDAL in schizophrenia was established in short-term (6 to 8 weeks) controlled trials of schizophrenia inpatients" and that "the physician who elects to use RISPERDAL for extended periods should periodically re-evaluate the long-term usefulness of the drug for the individual patient." Elsewhere, it again states that "The need for continued treatment should be reassessed periodically."

RISPERDAL is a TEMPORARY solution, NOT a permanent cure.

I read parent postings talking about how their kid's been on Risperdal "for four years, since she was eight!" and so on. There is no way that kid's brain will develop normally after being on a powerful anti-psychotic drug throughout the childhood and puberty, such a crucial period for the development of the brain.

RISPERDAL is NOT MEANT FOR ANYONE UNDER 18. Under "Pediatric Use" the label contains a single line:

"The safety and effectiveness of Risperdal in pediatric patients have no been established." What the label doesn't say is that "pediatric" does not just mean young children. Many drugs are not recommended for those twelve and under, but Risperdal is also not recommended for--as in, has not been sufficiently tested on and is therefore NOT approved for--anyone under 18, despite doctors prescribing it freely to teens and children alike.

SIDE EFFECTS one should know:

Tardive Dyskinesia (TD): Neuroleptic drugs like Risperdal can bring about "biochemical abnormalities" in the brain that result in Tardive Dyskinesia (TD), a potentially irreversible involuntary neurological movement disorder. It is also known as Linguofacial Dyskinesia, or Oral-facial Dyskinesia, because the involuntary movement occurs with the face, lips, mouth and tongue. Examples of TD include "speech or swallowing problems, lip smacking or puckering, loss of balance, cheek puffing, rapid or wormlike tongue movements, shakiness or trembling, shuffling walk, slow movements, arm or leg stiffness, uncontrolled chewing movements, and uncontrolled movements of hands, arms, or legs. "

~*~ this page is dedicated to gail michelle lindley, 1979-1996 ~*~

to spread the knowledge that could have saved you

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jorilind/risperfacts.html
"

Tardive Dyskinesia (TD)
HAPPENED TO ME BUT THANK GOD IT DID GO AWAY. IT CAN STAY AS LONG AS YOU LIVE EVEN WITHOUT TAKING THE DRUG ANY LONGER

This in NOT intended to scare you BUT ALERT YOU!!!

As the old saying goes:

" Doctors bury their mistakes "

SO IN ENDING PLEASE DO NOT COUNT ON MR. A LOT OF PEOPLE AND REMEMBER:

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OUCH... I pray that we find something that works, I dont know how much more I can take of this. I asked is Dr. to try Lamictal because I feel like a whole new person on it, but because he is unstable at this point she didn't want to have to wait for the taper up to see improvements. He is set now to see the Dr. every 2 weeks until we see consistent leveling of his moods.
as far as I can tell so far I dont think this is going to put him to sleep at all like seroquil...I'm in for a long night then...sighs did I mention he is only 14

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OUCH... I pray that we find something that works, I dont know how much more I can take of this. I asked is Dr. to try Lamictal because I feel like a whole new person on it, but because he is unstable at this point she didn't want to have to wait for the taper up to see improvements. He is set now to see the Dr. every 2 weeks until we see consistent leveling of his moods.
as far as I can tell so far I dont think this is going to put him to sleep at all like seroquil...I'm in for a long night then...sighs did I mention he is only 14
Dear LuvinJC4ever

My son has has had trouble since 1998 and did not get relief.

When the doctors found out that I was on Lamotrigine ( LAMICTAL ) they put my son on it because they said if it works well on one member of the family it will most likely work on another.

My son responded immediately and said he has NEVER felt good till he started this med.

He was always a problem in getting him to take his meds. NOT NOW!!! He likes feeling normal.

MAKE SURE YOUR SON TAPERS OFF RISPERDAL SLOWLY. I DIDN'T AND THATS WHEN I WENT INTO SEVERE CLINICAL DEPRESSION.

I don't know what caused it BUT DON'T TAKE A CHANCE!!!

IN EVERYTHING YOU DO REMEMBER:

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am on Risperdal and although I have some fogginess I am doing okay. We are playing with the meds right now. Risperdal was a wonder drug for me after Zyprexa, and Seroquel.

God luck.

Connie
Dear Walshclan

I am not a doctor so you need to take this into concideration on my advise.

But it has been my experence that doctors are content to leave their patients as they are if there are no complaints. They like us to be QUITE!!!

If you experence fogginess then you have not achieved getting the right meds for you. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL THAT WAY.

Keep bugging your doctor or find one that will keep seeking the right cocktail that will work for you with no adverse reactions.

It took some time before I found what works for me but now I have been good for over 4 years and don't have any idea I'm even taking the meds. They just work!!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate all the info you have given me I am so glad I have found a place to reach out and touch people who know or have known what i am going through God bless

Risperedal did not work for me. Those teen years are such important years to find a med that works. They need to feel a period of how the meds work before they leave home. They are also challenging years to find stable meds for as the body is growing and changing and being impacted my hormones!!! So do not despair in your fight ot find the right meds for your son!!!! Blessings and prayers!!!:groupray:

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we discontinued Risperdal 2 days ago because it
made him a scattered mess..I feared for my own sanity so long as he was around me. I think it made his mania off the charts also he had insomnia and terrible stomach cramps.
now he is taking seroquil 300mg and depakote 500mg at night and depakote 500mg in the morning. Stopping concerta 52mg (ADHD meds) to see if they are fueling his mania. GOOD news is no more Risperdal...praise God

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we discontinued Risperdal 2 days ago because it
made him a scattered mess..I feared for my own sanity so long as he was around me. I think it made his mania off the charts also he had insomnia and terrible stomach cramps.
now he is taking seroquil 300mg and depakote 500mg at night and depakote 500mg in the morning. Stopping concerta 52mg (ADHD meds) to see if they are fueling his mania. GOOD news is no more Risperdal...praise God
Dear LuvinJC4ever

AMEN TO THAT SISTER!!!

Now be patient and stay on the doctor until the right meds are found. THEY ARE OUT THERE!!!

IT IS WITH LOVE WE CAN REMEMBER:

Reactions: Crystal~Rose
Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My sons Pdoc changed his meds again replacing 300mg of seroquil with Risperdal 1mg. Just curious if anyone has had any luck...side effects I should look for etc I am not familiar with this medication at all and am a little concerned.
I took that for a year.

I was very sleepy.

I'm not BP though, I was taking it as a precaution after a (blessedly brief) psychotic episode, all I know is that it made me very sleepy in school.

I gotta say some of the responses in this thread freak me out a bit. :eek:

Reactions: Crystal~Rose
Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took that for a year.

I was very sleepy.

I'm not BP though, I was taking it as a precaution after a (blessedly brief) psychotic episode, all I know is that it made me very sleepy in school.

I gotta say some of the responses in this thread freak me out a bit. :eek:
Dear Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I would HOPE so!!! Or at least be a GIANT WAKE UP CALL.

MEDS NEED TO BE UNDERSTOOD!!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darrell2006

Feb 4, 2006
u.s.a
✟353.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was put on risperdal .25mg 3 x a day, while I was in the hospital, after i got home I looked it up on the net, and didn't like the potentiAL side effects, escpeciallyy the potential for uncontrollable movements, I realize this side effect does not occour in everyone, but personally I dont want to take that chance, so I have stopped taking the drug. just a note to family members of mentally ill, it's easy to say take you r meds, when you don't have to live with possible perminent side effects...

Daryl

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was put on risperdal .25mg 3 x a day, while I was in the hospital, after i got home I looked it up on the net, and didn't like the potentiAL side effects, escpeciallyy the potential for uncontrollable movements, I realize this side effect does not occour in everyone, but personally I dont want to take that chance, so I have stopped taking the drug. just a note to family members of mentally ill, it's easy to say take you r meds, when you don't have to live with possible perminent side effects...

Daryl

He has been placed on several different medications all of which I checked into..for some reason before I posted this and before I read the meds incert from the pharmacy. It just did not sit well with me at all.
After reading all the posts here I felt as if I were giving him poison :cry: I am sooo thankful to report that it seems we have found the right combination thus far. :clap: I even recieved a note from school stating he had an almost perfect day thursday and friday whoooo hoooooo :D

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has been placed on several different medications all of which I checked into..for some reason before I posted this and before I read the meds incert from the pharmacy. It just did not sit well with me at all.
After reading all the posts here I felt as if I were giving him poison :cry: I am sooo thankful to report that it seems we have found the right combination thus far. :clap: I even recieved a note from school stating he had an almost perfect day thursday and friday whoooo hoooooo :D
Dear LuvinJC4ever

AMEN!!!

NEVER FORGET TO REMEMBER:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.