Is Godspell Blasphemous? Do They Mock Christianity?

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many, many christians make a big fuss about Jesus Christ Superstar...no comment abt that...but...

'GodSpell', a musical based on the book of Matthew, depicts Jesus as a clown and his followers look like carefree hippies. It's set in NY in the 70's and it's got lots of good music and dancing and a good adaptation of the gospel.

I think it's absolutely brilliant, but it's hard to explain how Jesus' character can be illustrated through a clown....and when I told this to some of my friends, they were like...'Jesus? A clown?! Isn't that blasphemous...?'

If you've seen it...what are your thoughts on it? Blasphemous...or something deeper?

I know this thread is OLD, but I still wanted to chime in.

I was in "Godspell" a year or two ago. I don't really find the play to be "blasphemous" or anything so melodramatic, but I did think it was just sort of... stupid. It would be one thing to have people dressed as clowns or hippies and still acting relatively adult-like, but the characters in Godspell kind of revert to being like five-year old kids. The songs are catchy and fun, but the scenes in between seem awkward and cheesy. Then you go from being all silly and childish to suddenly screaming and writhing in agony as Jesus is killed... it's just very, very weird to me. It's like, one of those things that people call "artistic" for the sake of wanting to feel "artsy" themselves, when in reality, it's just weird and strange and bizarre, and everyone kinda knows it, but nobody wants to say it.

Anywho. On with the discussion!

Upvote 0

mattr61

ChristianPlaywright
Nov 4, 2014
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My own personal interaction with the material was about eight years ago, when I was cast as the Jesus character. Though I never had the opportunity to perform the play in front of an audience (moving out of the area), I did memorize the script and songs and spent a lot of time with the material. And I can see where the split comes between those for it and those unsure about its intentions.

I definitely believe there was a lot of emotion and spiritual ignorance that went into its writing. Tebelak wrote Godpsell with the express purpose of, "creating a religious experience", after feeling disillusioned by an Easter Vigil he'd attended (newlinetheatre.com). To be sure, the original intent of Godspell was not to praise our Savior but to entertain an audience.

But can't we just 'use it' to glorify God? Absolutely, if that's what the Lord desires. And maybe it's a good tool to draw people into a conversation about Him. I just think the whole issue needs to be approached with a lot of prayer for those who feel they might want to participate in the play.

I did not do this when I accepted the role. And I'm grateful the Lord delivered me out of it (though at the time I was crushed).

To answer your question, I think it very easily could be blasphemous. We are talking about the image of Christ and the words of our Holy Scriptures as entertainment. Your friends are right. There should always be an applied reverence to those subjects.

For sure, Godspell is the Gospel of Matthew according to Tebelak and Schwartz. I'd be careful about drawing too much meaning out of the thing.

Reference -

newlinetheatre.com(/)godspellchapter.html

Last edited:
Reactions: HonestTruth
Upvote 0

mattr61

ChristianPlaywright
Nov 4, 2014
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just went back and read your message, again:

"It's like, one of those things that people call "artistic" for the sake of wanting to feel "artsy" themselves, when in reality, it's just weird and strange and bizarre, and everyone kinda knows it, but nobody wants to say it." <--- Yep. This. lol

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles." (Romans 1:21-23)

Upvote 0

Richard Norris

Apr 15, 2020
Eastern KY
✟7,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You all have no shame in being young. I was an evangelist to our troops in Germany in the early 70's during the "Jesus Freak" movement. Some fellow Soldiers and I, under the supervision of our Baptist Chaplain started a Christian coffee house. Because of relatable films such as "Godspell." many men were brought to the Lord that would not have been without it. Becoming all things to all men has its advantages.

Upvote 0