• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anyone on here use a CPAP machine?

jsimms615

Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just started using a CPAP machine about three weeks ago due to sleep apnea. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 machine with a full face mask. The first 9 nights were pretty hard. I had a difficult time sleeping with a mask on my face. Now, it has gotten much better. I have noticed that my AHI numbers are sometimes relatively high (around 9 or so) and then other nights I am at a 2. I am wondering why it fluctuates so much. I generally wear my mask for at least 7 hours a night

Anyone else on here that use a CPAP machine?

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fluctuating could be due to a couple of different reasons.

The first and most simple reason could be that your mask isn't sealed well when you fall asleep, or its been known that people (in their sleep) will remove their mask during the night if they feel subconsciously uncomfortable with it.

The second and more serious concern could be a problem with your central nervous system. Your medulla in the brain is what regulates respiration rate and is apart of the lower part of the brain stem. If your AHI is fluctuating that high without any other discernible cause, that could very well be the problem - while the CPAP would treat any obstructive problems, if your brain is not telling your body to breathe during the night, it won't breathe.

You should ask your doctor just to make sure.

Upvote 0

MoneyGuy

May 27, 2007
✟48,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm fortunate as I've used one for years and slept like a baby my first night. I never sleep without it, except for the time we went away for a few days and I forgot it at home. Stick with it as sleep apnea has huge health risks.

CPAPtalk.com is your best resource for great advice and information. There is a great forum there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fluctuating could be due to a couple of different reasons.

The first and most simple reason could be that your mask isn't sealed well when you fall asleep, or its been known that people (in their sleep) will remove their mask during the night if they feel subconsciously uncomfortable with it.

The second and more serious concern could be a problem with your central nervous system. Your medulla in the brain is what regulates respiration rate and is apart of the lower part of the brain stem. If your AHI is fluctuating that high without any other discernible cause, that could very well be the problem - while the CPAP would treat any obstructive problems, if your brain is not telling your body to breathe during the night, it won't breathe.

You should ask your doctor just to make sure.
I've only had two nights that I know of where I took the mask off (to go to the bathroom) and then forgot to put it back on. Otherwise it stays on. My sleep report I get every morning says the mask is a good fit.
I know compared to a lot of people my AHI is relatively low. There are some people who are up around 60 times per hour and mine start at 14.7 times per hour on my sleep study

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just started using a CPAP machine about three weeks ago due to sleep apnea. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 machine with a full face mask. The first 9 nights were pretty hard. I had a difficult time sleeping with a mask on my face. Now, it has gotten much better. I have noticed that my AHI numbers are sometimes relatively high (around 9 or so) and then other nights I am at a 2. I am wondering why it fluctuates so much. I generally wear my mask for at least 7 hours a night

Yep, first couple of weeks are rough, but it makes a huge positive difference in time.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, first couple of weeks are rough, but it makes a huge positive difference in time.
Yes, I have been noticing more energy throughout the day. I even signed up last week to run a 5k

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟137,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have noticed that my AHI numbers are sometimes relatively high (around 9 or so) and then other nights I am at a 2. I am wondering why it fluctuates so much. I generally wear my mask for at least 7 hours a night

The machine can't accurately detect real hypopnoeas with just it's airflow sensor alone, so don't rely on those values. It takes a sleep lab with all the accompanied equipment to properly filter out the false positives.

Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums