Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if so I was wondering where are good resources to learn about using the stock market.
Here is the rule.
Invest in what you understand well and plan to hold It for 20 years.

That's it.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Bobby H

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
✟60,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been doing it on and off since 2004. There have been some wins and some losses. Unfortunately, I haven't been as disciplined as maybe I should have been. I do follow some general rules though:

1.) As a Christian I avoid any company that I believe is profiting from sin. For instance, I won't buy into an alcohol company. That's a whole debate in and of itself, how a company could be profiting off of sins, but for me it's something to live by. There are things I do not want on my conscience.
2.) I prefer stocks that pay dividends, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.
3.) I usually buy into companies that make products or offer services that I use and like.

Upvote 0

Serendipitous Waffle

Jul 18, 2023
Viken
✟55,420.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I invest both in the stock market and crypto. If you'd like to try your hand without actually using money (great for learning) I would warmly recommend Simulator - Investopedia Stock Simulator

Basically a stock market simulator that gives you 100k to play around with.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
if so I was wondering where are good resources to learn about using the stock market.

I’d add that by all means, take advantage 401k, 403b, and 457b plans. An employee can contribute a certain amount of his/her earnings each pay period into various investment vehicles--usually mutual funds approved by the employer. And whatever you contribute comes out before taxes. Which reduces what you have to report to the IRS as earnings on your 1040. And you don't have to pay taxes on it until you make withdrawals. 403b and 457b plans are similar. And depending on your employment situation, you can have these in addition to the 401k.

The link has current info on 401k plans.

https://www.indeed.com/hire/c/info/...HphVTgS0viexoCE90QAvD_BwE&aceid=&gclsrc=aw.ds

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’d add that by all means, take advantage 401k, 403b, and 457b plans.

I'll add that many employers match up to a certain percentage of an employee's contributions. It's foolish to turn down free money from one's employer. Many younger persons look at retirement as so far away that they miss out on an opportunity. Invest what you can, even if it's a little. It adds up at the end.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'll add that many employers match up to a certain percentage of an employee's contributions. It's foolish to turn down free money from one's employer. Many younger persons look at retirement as so far away that they miss out on an opportunity. Invest what you can, even if it's a little. It adds up at the end.
On that find out how much your employer matches and try to invest that much to start. You can change the amount taken out of your paycheck pretty easily. What you do not want to do is jump back and forth between 0 and 20% of your paycheck when your employer matches up to 5%. You want to make sure you take out a steady 5% and perhaps sometime a bit more.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Also look into Roth IRA accounts while you are young. There are limits on how much you can earn and still be able to put money into a Roth. This is after tax money. But coming out it is tax free. Putting in a little when you are just starting out, so you are in a lower tax bracket and also have time for it to grow, is a smart move.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟202,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
No, unfortunately I do not. At one point I contemplated buying Hubspot stock for $50 and I'm glad I didn't. That company has drifted into obscurity and probably isn't doing well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums