CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hopefully I posted this in the right "region" section. I have a fiance from the Phillipines and we are trying to find out whats the easiest way to ge tto American. Work Visa, Tourist Visa? Her other plan is to go to Dubai and work there, then come here. Something about its easier since the Phillipines is more strict about people going to America.

ANy advice or tips?

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a fiance from the Philippines. Whats the easiest way to American. Work Visa, Tourist Visa?
How to get to the US? I've heard there's a Fiance Visa. I'm also thinking about starting a thread about Americans dating people in the Philippines. There is a girl there that I like. We already talked about marrying each other. She says she likes me. I do like her. I do wonder if she might have hidden agendas.

Upvote 0

benromana

Nov 14, 2010
Atlanta GA
✟15,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Guys,

I'm from the Philippines living in the US (as a US citizen) and I'm quite familiar with the immigration process and the relationship dynamics of a Filipina marrying an American.

The quickest way to bypass the "quota system" (number of foreign nationals allowed by the US to have a green card or resident visa on a yearly basis) is for the foreign national to be "petitioned" as a fiancee by a US citizen. It typically takes 6 or less months.

On the relationship/"hidden agenda"/romance side of things, there are a few things to know.

One is that Filipinos are exposed to, and like, the western and more specifically the American culture. USA stayed in the country for 40 years (1901-1941), establishing the public school system and generally sharing the goodness of America with the Filipinos. The US drove the Japanese from the Philippines at the end of WW2. It's been mostly a love affair between the two countries, with the Philippines even being considered for statehood at one time.

That said, by and large Filipina women have a very favorable outlook towards American men in general and as potential husbands in particular.

It also helps to know that the Philippines is about 85% Catholic, with the women (and men) being somewhat dogmatic from a faith standpoint. Regardless, the over-riding attitude is devotion to family and avoidance of divorce.

"Hidden agenda" is probably not that per se. Rather, the Filipina who's married to an American will want to help out her family back home when she starts living in the US. The US Dollar, after all, goes a long way in the Philippines.

There will be "gold diggers" everywhere regardless of nationality. It therefore behooves (how's that for an old school word) the prospective husband to know the person, particularly as to her attitude towards the value of work and money.

Signs of a good work ethic mean that she'll be a desirable life partner who will work whole-heartedly in the US to help her family in the Philippines, her American husband, and her children.

Eventually, she may "petition" her family members to come to the US by virtue of her being married to you. This can be a good thing as well, as the Filipinos' love for family (and in-laws) is pretty extraordinary. Your future mother-in-law could pamper you with food as a sign of her love and affection.

Another thing to consider, and again this applies to any potential mate regardless of nationality, is commonality of interests and thought processes. If you like intellectually stimulating interactions, probe along those lines.

If you go for bubbly, emotionally charged experiences in a relationship, see if there's any compatibility there (not to say one person cannot be all of the above). The Philippines has a rich variety of sub-cultures given the presence of world-standard as well as regular schools.

Best wishes !

Upvote 0