Anyone have any experience with transplanting sunflowers &/tomatos?

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So far the seeds have sprouted and it's been about 2 weeks now since I've sown them.
For tomatos, how many weeks should I wait until I transplant them outside or does it depend on the height it grows to? Same question for sunflowers. I've seen some pics on the internet on what they look like before being transplanted outside. But I haven't found any info regarding how many weeks to wait/how tall the plant is until it is ready to be transplanted outside.

Any help/advice/tips/linked resources are appreciated! :)

Reactions: brinny

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tomatoes can go outside when it's warmed up and the plants have at least several sets of leaves. Tip for tomatoes - I dig a trench or slanted trench to plant mine in, and remove all but the top 4-6 leaves, and then plant rootball and stem. The length of the stem will grow roots, creating a strong plant, and it will take off quickly in warm weather.

Sunflowers I know much less about - squirrels will dig up your seeds if you plant them in the ground.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Spirit Reborn,
The most important consideration is temperature. Both soil and air should be well up into double figures (<12°c) during the day and no likely drops below 5°c at night.
Harden off your young plants by leaving them out during the the day (in a sheltered position) for several days before planting. Both toms and sunflrs like rich soil and warmth. Sturdy plants with plenty of root is what you want, short and fat rather than long and spindly.
Sunflowers
Tomatoes
Good gardening
><>

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tomatoes can go outside when it's warmed up and the plants have at least several sets of leaves. Tip for tomatoes - I dig a trench or slanted trench to plant mine in, and remove all but the top 4-6 leaves, and then plant rootball and stem. The length of the stem will grow roots, creating a strong plant, and it will take off quickly in warm weather.

Sunflowers I know much less about - squirrels will dig up your seeds if you plant them in the ground.
Thanks so much for the tips! :) So far my tomatos has its first set of leaves with the second set in view. So it's okay to pinch out/cut the lower leaves in order to build a stronger root system? Should I cut the leaves as close as possible from the stem?
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Spirit Reborn,
The most important consideration is temperature. Both soil and air should be well up into double figures (<12°c) during the day and no likely drops below 5°c at night.
Harden off your young plants by leaving them out during the the day (in a sheltered position) for several days before planting. Both toms and sunflrs like rich soil and warmth. Sturdy plants with plenty of root is what you want, short and fat rather than long and spindly.
Sunflowers
Tomatoes
Good gardening
><>
Thank you so much for the tips and links! :)
So far in Canada, it's been hovering around 9-13 degrees C, but slightly colder than 5°c at night (0-4°C). It's still way to early to transplant but this is a good heads up! I'll definitely be using compost. Will also harden off the plants on the deck for a few hours for a couple days and increase the time gradually. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much for the tips! :) So far my tomatos has its first set of leaves with the second set in view. So it's okay to pinch out/cut the lower leaves in order to build a stronger root system? Should I cut the leaves as close as possible from the stem?
Thanks again!

I do, but wait until they have more! If they only have a couple sets when planting out, I probably wouldn't remove any. I usually leave 4-6 leaves on each one, with a few inches of stem, so it looks like a tiny baby plant, but in reality it is a larger plant with most of it under the soil. And I just pinch them off, I guess my fingers are next to the stem. I don't try to dig any extra out, but they snap off without stubs. If you are cutting, then I suppose you have to put more thought into it, but I'd say right next to the stem. That's how they naturally break for me.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far my tomatos has its first set of leaves with the second set in view.
Spirit Reborn - You should wait for them to get at least another two sets of leaves before planting out or cutting off any leaves. Remember the leaves are the growth engines. Around here nobody plants tomatoes outside till mid May. What size pots do have them in?
Good gardening
><>

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Spirit Reborn - You should wait for them to get at least another two sets of leaves before planting out or cutting off any leaves. Remember the leaves are the growth engines. Around here nobody plants tomatoes outside till mid May. What size pots do have them in?
Good gardening
><>
Ahh, gotcha. I love learning new things about gardening. It's all so fascinating.. and I LOVE love love seeing seedlings successfully germinate and take off (so far lol). Okay so around mid-May or whenever it has a couple more sets of leaves in. The size pots I have them in now are 4 inches deep and 3.5 inches on each side (square-shaped container)

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do, but wait until they have more! If they only have a couple sets when planting out, I probably wouldn't remove any. I usually leave 4-6 leaves on each one, with a few inches of stem, so it looks like a tiny baby plant, but in reality it is a larger plant with most of it under the soil. And I just pinch them off, I guess my fingers are next to the stem. I don't try to dig any extra out, but they snap off without stubs. If you are cutting, then I suppose you have to put more thought into it, but I'd say right next to the stem. That's how they naturally break for me.
That makes sense :0 I'll just pinch them off then.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The size pots I have them in now are 4 inches deep and 3.5 inches on each side (square-shaped container)
Ok a tad on the large size, just be careful not to let the compost stay too soggy, let it dry a little between waterings? Give them as much light and warmth as you can.
><>

• Informative
Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok a tad on the large size, just be careful not to let the compost stay too soggy, let it dry a little between waterings? Give them as much light and warmth as you can.
><>
Will do! :)

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see your in Canada. Not far south of the border here in MN, so I do a lot of transplanting.
Tomatoes transplant well if you harden them off, i.e. before you move them out to the garden you need to acclimate them to the outdoors.
Sunflowers I have not transplanted, but a trick I learned for vining vegetables, that don't transplant well, is to start them in coconut hair pots, then just leave the pot on when putting them in the garden.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see your in Canada. Not far south of the border here in MN, so I do a lot of transplanting.
Tomatoes transplant well if you harden them off, i.e. before you move them out to the garden you need to acclimate them to the outdoors.
Sunflowers I have not transplanted, but a trick I learned for vining vegetables, that don't transplant well, is to start them in coconut hair pots, then just leave the pot on when putting them in the garden.
Oh interesting, thanks! And yes so far the weather's been up and down here in Canada. One moment it's a a good 20 degree celsius day and the next it feels like early spring/winter. I've heard of Coir? Coconut Coir I think it's called. I'll have to look more into it, thanks!

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, I don't know how much space you have, but in our colder climates, coverings over plants can be a great help.
I know a lot of people in MN cut both ends out of a large metal coffee can and place it over the tomato plant after planting. Tomato's love heat and at night this helps to retain some heat, also can be left on all season to aid in getting lots of water to the roots of the plant.
They make commercial greenhouses, that are expensive, but you can make your own any size you want. I have several

• Informative
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I don't know how much space you have, but in our colder climates, coverings over plants can be a great help.
I know a lot of people in MN cut both ends out of a large metal coffee can and place it over the tomato plant after planting. Tomato's love heat and at night this helps to retain some heat, also can be left on all season to aid in getting lots of water to the roots of the plant.
They make commercial greenhouses, that are expensive, but you can make your own any size you want. I have several
That's so cool.. what kind of material do you use for your own greenhouses?
I've actually considered making my own greenhouse. I've seen the ones they sell at Canadian Tire- anywhere from 1-2k+. Our yard is average size..possibly a bit bigger than your average backyard. I'll also look into making my own greenhouse. Gardening is quite exciting!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have a lean-to or brick wall of the sunny side of your house you can put them there to harden off before planting in the ground. Or plant right by the wall if you have a bed there. Ive put some tomatoes there to see how they do. Tomatoes seem to randomly pop up in my garden. I must have chucked out a tomato out the window at some stage and it just grew from the seeds. I moved them to the sunny side though when it got a few more leaves.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you have a lean-to or brick wall of the sunny side of your house you can put them there to harden off before planting in the ground. Or plant right by the wall if you have a bed there. Ive put some tomatoes there to see how they do. Tomatoes seem to randomly pop up in my garden. I must have chucked out a tomato out the window at some stage and it just grew from the seeds. I moved them to the sunny side though when it got a few more leaves.
Yeah, I'll definitely put mine out on the deck as it is quite exposed to the sun most of the day. That's awesome how you were able to get tomatoes from the one that was thrown in the soil :0 My mom says to put it in the shadier side of the backyard but after researching it, it says tomatos need full sun. But apparently we've had success before when it was on the shadier side of the fence (west side).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have about a dozen or so plants this year from a tomato left on the vine that fell into the soil. We were only growing one varsity that late, so hopefully it is pure. A couple more months should tell.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can do a search for "how to make an inexpensive high tunnel"
Basically its pvc pipes with clear plastic stretched across.
Tomatoes do better in full sun with lots of water.

Anastasia; i have had good success growing tomatoes from fallen tomatoes, they call this a "volunteer".

Upvote 0