Anyone going to or is majoring in physics?

Sgent29

Oct 14, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟337.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The way current research is going, your going to have make that connection before you can solve the TOE. See last months Scientific American.

I admit I am not a physicist so I very well may be behind, just a former engineer with an abiding interest and someone who has had intro quantom physicis at the college level :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davidshane

May 6, 2004
University City, Missouri
Visit site
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm in my third year as a physics major at a public university in Missouri. It's positively a great field to be going into if only for the sheer fun. (Providing you like or want to like or are at least good at mathematics.) It's good for opening your mind to just what science is and how it works and at teaching you how to think. You can get quite a range of opinions - one of the professors here has wrote a book debunking ideas of intelligent design and just a few doors down the hall is the office of one professor who is a Christian that thinks the universe is 6,000 to 12,000 years old. Anyways, I'm not sure what else to write, let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0

Yamialpha

Celeritas
Oct 5, 2004
✟2,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
davidshane said:
I'm in my third year as a physics major at a public university in Missouri. It's positively a great field to be going into if only for the sheer fun. (Providing you like or want to like or are at least good at mathematics.) It's good for opening your mind to just what science is and how it works and at teaching you how to think. You can get quite a range of opinions - one of the professors here has wrote a book debunking ideas of intelligent design and just a few doors down the hall is the office of one professor who is a Christian that thinks the universe is 6,000 to 12,000 years old. Anyways, I'm not sure what else to write, let me know if you have any questions.
Which public university is that?

Upvote 0

Dirac

Oct 30, 2004
London
✟117.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
seat said:
I was thinking specifically astrophysics, elementary-particle physics or something along that line.

By all means go for it if you enjoy it. As someone else said, if you are no good at maths, don't even bother, you'll hate physics at degree level. I'm doing maths and physics at the University of London. It is very interesting, but the maths can become a bit cold. It's just so abstract at degree level. I'd also really recommend reading some history/political books and keeping up with the news. While those taking humanities, history, law degrees etc. automatically gain lots of 'real-world' knowledge from their chosen area of study, as a physicist/mathematician you don't get this 'free' information as part of your degree course. You have to work much harder to gain an all round knowledge of the human world and its happenings. People are what matter in the end, not maths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thwap

Jan 17, 2004
✟7,652.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm torn between studying either physics or biology at university. Both seem interesting to me, particularly the more "abstract" aspects of physics such as quantum mechanics, and also biology at the cellular and chemical levels.

Since I'm equally attracted to both, I wonder which degree would present the greatest prospects for the future?

Upvote 0