Maine
✟1,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm in Sanford. I moved here 26 years ago after having lived in NYC, Chicago, Denver, and Texas to name just a few places.

The way I understand it is that once you've lived in Maine for approx 40 years they put your name on a list to "consider" whether or not to grant you status as a "local". It still takes another 40 years before you actually become one however, LOL:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SonSeeker

Jul 26, 2005
Maine
Visit site
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
hippie said:
I'm in Sanford. I moved here 26 years ago after having lived in NYC, Chicago, Denver, and Texas to name just a few places.

The way I understand it is that once you've lived in Maine for approx 40 years they put your name on a list to "consider" whether or not to grant you status as a "local". It still takes another 40 years before you actually become one however, LOL:hug:

Really!! Then there is hope for the future. I thought you had to be 3rd generation..... :D

Upvote 0

reved

Jul 24, 2005
Zanesville, Ohio
Visit site
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have been coming to Maine with our ministry for the past eight years ministering from Cumberland and Augusta to Mars Hill, Easton, Fort Fairfield and Houlton. We do love the people there but have only met about 10 who were born there. Seems everyone is from somewhere else.

We were gifted 5 acres of land for our ministry in Patten Maine just outside Baxter State Park a few years ago, and hope to someday retire there.

Be blessed we're all Mainers at heart.

Ed

Upvote 0
C

catlover

The way I understand it is that once you've lived in Maine for approx 40 years they put your name on a list to "consider" whether or not to grant you status as a "local". It still takes another 40 years before you actually become one however, LOL

I know someone who had her CHILDREN up here, (she was from away) and people told her "...a cat can have kittens in the oven but that doesn't make them part of the oven!!"

Upvote 0

reved

Jul 24, 2005
Zanesville, Ohio
Visit site
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey catlover, you live to far south in Maine, with the overflow crowd from Massachusetts. You need to move up into "The County" (Arookstook). You have the almost Canadian crowd up that way.;) Alright, now I'm gonna hear from those nice folks from there say'in, "Whats wrong with us".:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

catlover

Oh dear Rev, DO be careful. I am "up" in The County. I hate to generalize the Canadians but, but, I had a mechanic in Canada TOTALLY rip me off. BE careful. One does not expect to be ripped off by such down to earth down home county folk but they do it a lot more than in Southern New England.
Plus, up in "The County" they are so related they really don't like people who impose in on their klan.

Upvote 0

reved

Jul 24, 2005
Zanesville, Ohio
Visit site
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All right catlover, I'm new to this message board stuff, so I guess I read your post wrong. I thought you said,(I'm in Sanford. I moved here 26 years ago after having lived in NYC, Chicago, Denver, and Texas to name just a few places) but then realized that you were "quoting" someone else, sorry.

We travel the USA with our ministry full time. People are nasty / hateful all over if you let them. Kind of a tribal thing I think. Now with me, most find me annoying at first, but then I grow on them. Hehe. Not really. After all, I'm the one who stands in the pulpit and tells them that they're doing wrong, right. Not!! God uses me as His vessel, if what He sends me to say offends them, they need to take that up with Him.

We have ministered in 38 states, and have been told on occasion that, "we don't want yer kind round here". Seems Jesus had the same problems right. They wanted rid of Him so bad they hung Him on a cross. Ok, enough preaching.

Personal story. In the spring of 2000 we were in Maine to "do" several concerts and services. The generator that provides the auxiliary power for our tour bus died a sudden death. We lost all our food and had no power for A/C or cooking. A gentleman from Monticello asked if he could help us out. (He was unemployed at the time and had just had to close his families business due to the economy. He knocked on the doors of his neighbors, and others in the community, and raised almost $600 to help us replace it. Then gave us steaks and frozen beef from his own freezer to eat. Each day checking back to make sure we had food. We stayed in the area for the week. Yes, he was a local. Born and raised there.

When the old bus we used completely died for good, it was over 40 years old, people from the "County" raised over $6000 to help us replace it. By the way we give free concerts, so it’s not like we're Nashville folk here.

I'm sorry you don't have a nice life there. Hey, I hate my own neighbors at home and I'm from here, but that's a whole other thread. I was just wondering though, since I got that first post mixed up, where are you from? Chances are if it’s East of the Rockies we've been there too.

Just know that with this age of Internet friends, you now have a friend in Ohio. If you brake down on my road I will not only let you use my phone, I'll fix your car, and make you dinner too
In Christ,

Ed

P.S. Just Curious, you must be in the Presque Isle area right, I do know a few Pastors and churches that would love to have you join them. If not, I’ll just have to come and talk to them again.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

Reved P.M me with some of the pastors names. I may know some of them =0)

We have ministered in 38 states, and have been told on occasion that, "we don't want yer kind round here". Seems Jesus had the same problems right. They wanted rid of Him so bad they hung Him on a cross.
:thumbsup: That's right. I should consider it a compliment actually. Jesus didn't take it personelly.

Upvote 0

2tim

Feb 17, 2005
Maine, USA
✟7,888.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm writing from Maine. We live in Brunswick, which is a little town near the coast - about 20 miles north of Portland. We love it. I'll never go back (I used to be a Boston area cab driver...) The woods are where my heart is. Always have been. I used to have some property out by Sunday River in Bethel. Taught skiing for a couple yers. I've always loved Maine.

Upvote 0