Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve been looking at recipes. I’m curious but I can’t seem to get past the color because of the beets. Is it any good? Is it worth trying?

Yes, it is. But there are some various adaptations of it and if it's done right, it'll taste something along the lines of (but not exactly like) a kind of "beef stew."

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is. But there are some various adaptations of it and if it's done right, it'll taste something along the lines of (but not exactly like) a kind of "beef stew."
Oh okay. Thanks for the info. Still debating it but I’ll post if I make it.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the recipes. Looks like something I will try when it starts cooling down. Will definitely use the food processor to grate the beets. I would not look forward to doing that by hand.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟292,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
See what I mean about the color?
See the sour cream? By the time you're done mixing that up, everything is pink. That may be no better for you.

... it's probably just the beets.
If it's not the beets you need medical attention. That can be shocking, especially if you forgot what you ate.

I love beetroot - boiled, pickled, juiced, borscht. It tastes healthy and good at the same time. I did make borscht a few times, but more often I've had it made for me. The secret is freshness of ingredients.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Lain Iwakura

Aug 26, 2021
Windsor
✟19,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
If it's not the beets you need medical attention. That can be shocking, especially if you forgot what you ate.

Yeah. I thought I was going to die. And then I thought... "can beets do that?" And then I looked it up online and felt better about it.

• Haha
Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
My ex wife is Russian, and she had a recipe for Borscht that was fantastic. Her secret for keeping the soup from going too purple was to cut the beets into 'matchsticks', and when sautéing in the pan before going in the pot, a splash of white vinegar is added to the pan to 'set the color'. The beets won't bleed after that.

It's a very vegetable-rich soup, perfect for Winter when folks would dig through the root cellar to find what was still good, and make something where a tough old piece of meat could become tender and edible.

Serve with good sour cream.

• Informative
Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I would add to my last - this recipe is as close to what I remember as I can manage on my own. I like the Ukraine influence I suppose because the ex traced her Mother's family to Ukraine and Poland, so I guess it's a bit like having a regional influence here in the US to some of our well-known dishes.

Russian Borscht Recipe

Upvote 0