• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anyone else young and burnt out?

J0SHUA

Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm 24 years old and have been exhausted for years. I should be in my prime, making progress towards a sustainable future and living my best years; instead I struggle to get through what most would consider an easy day. I should be fearless and adventurous, instead I feel like a vulnerable kid lost in a mall. I hate that my chronic fatigue has ruined so much of my life. Can anyone else relate? How do you find the motivation and faith to carve a future for yourself when you can barely work to pay a few bills?

Jun 21, 2019
Austin
✟8,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm 24 years old and have been exhausted for years. I should be in my prime, making progress towards a sustainable future and living my best years; instead I struggle to get through what most would consider an easy day. I should be fearless and adventurous, instead I feel like a vulnerable kid lost in a mall. I hate that my chronic fatigue has ruined so much of my life. Can anyone else relate? How do you find the motivation and faith to carve a future for yourself when you can barely work to pay a few bills?
it looks to me you have walked with God whole heartedly if you are exhausted. Especially at 24. Count yourself BLESSED. You are chosen, loved and God has his mark on you. Dont give up or compare yourself to your own judgment of what you 'should be'..one of my fav preacher teachers is paul washer and he hits it home. Gods beautiful plan for your life is to become like Christ, not these big grandiouse ideas that people get obsesed with. On a physical view, do drink lots of water, get outside for a walk fresh air sunshine, maybe do a fast for restored energy

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Consider the wise statement that has been a mainstay in my life for many years:

'If your output exceeds your intake, your upkeep will be your downfall.'

Martha was anxious & troubled about many things, but Mary chose to sit at Jesus' feet & learn from Him. We need more intake & time with Him, to withstand the outside pressures of life.

I had some missionary friends in an African country & the wife was experiencing chronic fatigue syndrome. I prayed & asked the Lord what might I do to help. The Spirit directed me to make a musical recording of select Christian songs & I sent it to them. About six months later, I received a reply back from the husband, that his wife had wore out that musical recording & it had helped her focus on the Lord & she was doing much better!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had CFS and Fibromyalgia in the past but they’re gone. If that was not the case I would work from home and start a blog that ministered to other CFS sufferers through a Christian wellness approach. I’d monetize it and earn my living in this manner.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We need a motivation outside ourselves. Many of God's most blessed servants suffered chronic illness. Watchman Nee was one, Charles Spurgeon another. God does not make us sick. It is His will to heal us. But He will use illness to break our natural strength so that we are motivated to depend on Him alone. Please note all the "I" in your statement. If you want to be a for real Christian, you need to change to "It is no longer I....... but Christ". Lord Jesus is much greater than your troubles and His strength is made perfect in our weakness. When the purpose for your ordeal is accomplished, you will be healed, restored and blessed.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

I had chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia really bad when I got out of the military. (Plus migraines, vertigo and PTSD.) I was 22 years old.

Your problem is likely primarily a biological one and not "lack of faith". (That usually produces different symptoms.) There is a lot of pollution on this planet and we are exposed to a lot of chemicals.

So yes, believe me I understand the frustration of being too exhausted to do anything. And no, you can't reasonably expect to carve out a future for yourself if you can't stay awake long enough to get through an 8 hour work day with out going home and taking a three hour nap!

I'd gone to all kinds of doctors and had the most success with herbal detoxification treatments. This may sound weird, but yeah, I ate a lot of organic broccoli at one point. LOL. Broccoli is a good detoxifier. It also fights cancer.

I don't know where you live; but if you're anywhere near a sizable city; there's likely a health food store around. The one near me has a quite large supplement section and several staff who are quite knowledgable about which supplements work well for what. This store also has resource books and things you can look up in their computer data base.

I have a 17 year old son who has autism and epilepsy and he has issues with fatigue too.

Magnesium and Zinc are effective for depression.
Vitamin B complex (especially B-6) are effective for ornery / grumpy behavior.
Vitamin D is good for a lot of things. Most of us don't get enough of it.
EPA / DHA are omega 3 fatty acids. They are good for the nervous system; especially the brain.
Lemon Balm can help with anxiety.
Lavender is good for anxiety too; but if you're male, stay away from Lavender supplements and bath products. It affects the hormone balance in males and can cause fat deposits to begin to collect in the breasts. It's reversible once one stops taking the herb; which isn't the case with some medications like Risperdol.
Turmeric reduces inflammation in the body, which is good for people with fibromyalgia.
Then there's St. John's Wart. That one is good for anxiety and depression; but that one you have to look out for medication interactions if your on medications. My son liked St. John's but because of his epilepsy medication, he can't take it.
Melatonin will help sleep.

Other thing that helps with Chronic Fatigue is detoxification.
Bentonite Clay will help remove heavy metals from the body.
Raw apple cider vinegar helps detox the liver. (Everything goes out through your liver.) Cartenine / fish oil helps the liver too.
Phylum Husk which is a bulking agent like Metamucil to facilitate the bowel collecting all these toxins so the body can get rid of them. Drink lots of water and understand that when you detox, you will be going to the bathroom a lot.

Then as much as you can afford it, eat organic food. (Especially fruit. Conventionally grown fruit has the highest pesticide absorption and when you eat it; guess who gets all those pesticides in their body.)

You'll feel better in increments. Chronic Fatigue isn't something that's solved over night. It took me about 4 years of different detoxification diets before I started to feel functional. But I did clean up after the 1991 Gulf War and I was exposed to a lot of toxins; including experimental vaccines, nerve gas and depleted uranium. I was pretty sick. So, it might not take you 4 years to get better.

I'll be saying a prayer for you that God puts people in your path that can help you recover. That is important and it's frustrating when no one listens and they don't take your medical complaints seriously.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you. i know how hard it is to be depress and then to try and earn a living, i tried raising a family even, my depression was a disaster before Jesus turned it to a blessing. The best thing i learned was to learn to rely on Him and hold onto His love, it has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams. Honest brother don't let depression be your downfall but rather find victory in Christ. i still struggle depression most of my days but i have learned so much and gained so much fighting it that i don't mind fighting depression any longer. i have learned to hate it as an affliction instead of hating myself being sick.

Please be of good courage brother God can bless you with other things than a career, good income, or worldly success. He can bless you with patience, long-suffering, endurance, kindness, gentleness, joy, thankfulness, faithfulness and the likes. Aim for those things and your illness will aid you finding good life instead of keeping you away from it.

Praying you will find love, faith and hope, for only these remain always valid to use for (depressed) people.

Much love fighting depression.

My Life's Lesson.

The one thing I learned in my life
Reality has more than one way
For The Truth can torch my soul
or through love take me to paradise.

The Bible accuses me when I seek wrong,
but His love guides me when I seek right.
His Love is so very gentle when I'm His,
but kindles a fire when I walk with the wicked.

At first I saw pain as a terrible liability,
yet suffering has made me a better person.
When young I burned-up my joy for pleasures,
now my joyous heart in thankfulness runs over.

Life gives whatever side you serve
Loving truth or running out of time
All for self means nothing will be left over
While sharing breeds more good for all.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Exactly feeling like this and I would tell you most people would fell like this but instead they put their focus towards useless things like caring what such and such person said on TV or seeking for drama , convicting themselves that ball passing through hoop 24 times thile other team does it 26 times actually matters even fighting with brutal force again people who disagree with them.

So yea if you actually break down everything is literally meaningless just people don't think about it and when they finally start thinking about it and realising that what they do and others do it worthless it's called depression lol

See for example John the Baptist was called by Jesus best human born of woman at the time but John lived in desert alone , probably seen by his fellow Jews as crazy lunatic tho.

If you want to feel happy , fulfilled and having something to do which actually changes something then share gospel to unbelievers it's the only thing that really matters in the end .

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Oh brother, that's exactly how I was. To some extent still am, but never mind that. Vulnerable, lost, and so tired. Getting out of bed was hard, putting on socks was even harder, taking a shower was like a mountain I had to climb. There was no energy, and almost no motivation either. In the end I had to stop comparing myself to others, and I had to start living one day at a time. Whenever I occupied my mind with "I should've been doing X by now, I should've succeeded in Y", my plans and goals were not motivators, they were like walls I kept pulling down on myself. Fear was always present. Of course I "medicated" myself with alcohol and abused some of the meds I got to make things worse, but even when I managed to stop those things, the depression remained. I wanted to perform, but I kept hating myself because I couldn't. I wanted to be something, but I couldn't be anything.
I ended up having to quit my job and I was lucky enough to be put on pension. So I can't really give advise with career.

But having faith, for me, was the hardest thing to do. Even when I got to the point where I could have the strength to study the Bible and actually tap into faith and into my inner struggles within its light, I found out my own understanding, wisdom, patience, strength of faith even, were nothing. I kept running into walls. Little by little Christ got through, even when I was unknowingly putting up walls against His love, because I was convinced I could not be loved, I hated myself so much. Little by little He kept laying His foundations where my ruins used to be. Something good started to creep in, and I started to accept my situation. I started to accept that it's okay to be weak, many people are. I started to accept that God absolutely knows what I'm going through, better than I do, and that I could slowly but surely learn to give my burdens to Him. I have my cross for the day, I don't have to carry the cross of tomorrow or some day in year 2025, wherever I might have placed my goals. Today is enough. When this happens, comfort and thankfulness over the smallest things will follow. It stopped being about my strength (and I was "fortunate" to be in a place where I knew I had none), and it started being about His. There will be trust. You will have inner trust in Him. There will be a foundation, and you will build on it, or more like He will.

Before, "having faith" was about me trying to understand and to perform. It was about me trying to be acceptable, to be worthy of even something. I found no comfort in it, my understanding was as weak as my performance, and I didn't see anything but condemnation in the now and in the future. Now, having faith is like a childlike trust, forged by God Himself, a trust in His goodness, power, strength and care. Christ is acceptable when I am not, on my behalf, and He is accepting of me because of His position and good will. Tomorrow is a day I don't know about, and today is a gift. All worries - which there are still many - I can give to Him, instead of consuming myself with them.

When I was 24, I was just about to "go crazy". When I was 25, I was pretty much insane. But I had things, I had some sort of status. Now I'm 40, and I have none of those things I had back then, but I have faith that God surely planted into me throughout the years. I've gotten comfort and joy from the smallest things. I am now glad for the smallest achievements. Lately I've been glad and encouraged about being able to take out the trash more often, making my own food better (and healthier), taking showers nearly every day and managing to do little workouts here at home. This is nothing for most people, but for me it's like I get to learn to live again, it's exciting, and every good thing supports another. I have more energy, even if I still have problems with sleeping. I don't know if I'll ever be "something", but I have so much more peace now, and I see that God is good and He does have plenty of strength for us.

Although I like to ramble about faith, I'm aware that's not quite what you asked and I am not suggesting that you don't have something physiological going on. Forgive me if I sounded like I just started rambling. One brother above gave some good advice on nutrition (and even I've found that it does make a difference), and he seems to be knowledgeable about the physicality of these issues, and many people here know the realities of it. You can support each other which is a great thing. Do what you can, give your struggles to God, you will be taken care of. No matter how things seem. You're not any worse than anybody else, and in the end the Lord is more than able and willing to make you stand. Praying for you, and hoping you would get all the help, hope and strength you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟95,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I sure can relate to you, I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for years which was extremely debilitating.

You need some time off to recover and you need to get plenty of rest and quality sleep. Easily said than done I know, but you do need to rest so your body, mind and spirit can recover. Look after yourself and make sure you eat healthy food and drink plenty of water as well as get plenty of rest/sleep and also take a multivitamin supplement too. Deal with any stress in your life as stress will worsen your situation and stay away from cigarettes, alcohol, caffeine and sugary foods. Also don't listen to ignorant people who tell you to think positive and push yourself as that will just make you feel guilty for being sick. You need understanding & support in this situation. Most importantly is to pray to God always to help you get through this and ask him to strengthen you spiritually.

Sorry if I sound like a doctor, but I'm just worried about you and I really hope & pray things will change for you. Illness can be a great opportunity to draw close to God and grow spiritually, don't lose sight of God in all of this! Please keep us updated as to how you are going?

Yours truly,

Victor.

• Useful
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums