Jester4kicks

Warning - The following may cause you to think
Nov 13, 2007
✟17,459.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's me... but is anyone else just sick and tired of the mudslinging that has taken place this season? I'm not talking about any specific party, because both are guilty of it.

I'm also not just talking about the candidates and their campaigns, but also all of the Joe Shmoes that seem to think their ability to write a blog or author/forward a chain email makes them an expert on a subject.

It's just disappointing.

If you were to walk out on the street, I'd be willing to bet that any random person could name at least 4-5 different scandals or rumors about either of the major candidates. McCain doesn't know how many houses he has. Obama might be a muslim. McCain thinks anyone making less than $200k is stupid. Obama's minister was anti-american.

It just goes on... and on... and on...

Take that same random person off the street, and ask them what Obama's economic plan includes... or what McCain's plan for Iraq is... or where Obama stands on renewable energy... or where McCain stands on NAFTA...

Be honest... do any of you really think most of the people you spoke to would give you much more than a blank stare?

Maybe I'm being too critical... but it is absolutely disgusting that we focus all of our attention on these (ultimately) trivial little matters rather than focusing on the issues.

Oh... and for the record, only a small portion of the truly-disgusting mudslinging has come from the candidates and their campaigns. The REALL vile stuff has circulated via email and blog.... because it's apparently easier to click the "forward" button than it is to give something some rational thought and consider, just for a moment, if you should really participate in perpetuating information that you have not verified.

The internet has become little more than a high school locker room this election season...

High school never ends.

/rant

Reactions: praying

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's me... but is anyone else just sick and tired of the mudslinging that has taken place this season? I'm not talking about any specific party, because both are guilty of it.

I'm also not just talking about the candidates and their campaigns, but also all of the Joe Shmoes that seem to think their ability to write a blog or author/forward a chain email makes them an expert on a subject.

It's just disappointing.

If you were to walk out on the street, I'd be willing to bet that any random person could name at least 4-5 different scandals or rumors about either of the major candidates. McCain doesn't know how many houses he has. Obama might be a muslim. McCain thinks anyone making less than $200k is stupid. Obama's minister was anti-american.

It just goes on... and on... and on...

Take that same random person off the street, and ask them what Obama's economic plan includes... or what McCain's plan for Iraq is... or where Obama stands on renewable energy... or where McCain stands on NAFTA...

Be honest... do any of you really think most of the people you spoke to would give you much more than a blank stare?

Maybe I'm being too critical... but it is absolutely disgusting that we focus all of our attention on these (ultimately) trivial little matters rather than focusing on the issues.

Oh... and for the record, only a small portion of the truly-disgusting mudslinging has come from the candidates and their campaigns. The REALL vile stuff has circulated via email and blog.... because it's apparently easier to click the "forward" button than it is to give something some rational thought and consider, just for a moment, if you should really participate in perpetuating information that you have not verified.

The internet has become little more than a high school locker room this election season...

High school never ends.

/rant
I'll just mention that I know for a fact that McCain doesn't assume that anyone making less than $200K per year is an idiot.

But otherwise I think what you are saying is true. It starts with Bush/Republican hate and continues from the Democrat platform to infect, just as strongly, about every other campaign in the country.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'll just mention that I know for a fact that McCain doesn't assume that anyone making less than $200K per year is an idiot.

But otherwise I think what you are saying is true. It starts with Bush/Republican hate and continues from the Democrat platform to infect, just as strongly, about every other campaign in the country.

I don't recall McCain saying anything like that either. "Idiot" or "Stupid" like the OP says.

I gotta question though..
Is this a "mudsling" ?

“Barack Obama is truly a phenomenon of our time-- a presidential candidate who cannot cite a single serious accomplishment in his entire career, besides advancing his own career with rhetoric”.
I see that as a realistic comment. But maybe it's just me, a regular Joe Shmoe. :)

Honestly, the question on McCain and NAFTA, I gotta look up. I think he would be for continuing free trade if it is still honest.
I was one of those that used to worry about the giant sucking sound, until I found out it was already here in my country, my state...I mean right down the street. LOL

Personally, I think there has been more mudslinging on Palin than both candidates. We just laugh at poor old Joe.;)

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep. I'm sick of hearing about middle names and flag lapel pins. I want to hear how McCain and Obama propose to help my country - not about Obama's underwear preference.

I wish both sides would stop perpetuating such childish malarkey.
Ringo

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yep. I'm sick of hearing about middle names and flag lapel pins. I want to hear how McCain and Obama propose to help my country - not about Obama's underwear preference.

I wish both sides would stop perpetuating such childish malarkey.
Ringo
Many people only perceive smeer that they don't agree with, so, basically, smear can mobilize ones base, while possibly poisoning would-be opponent supporters with questionable messages.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many people only perceive smeer that they don't agree with, so, basically, smear can mobilize ones base, while possibly poisoning would-be opponent supporters with questionable messages.

While that can be true, I would definitely count flaps about flap lapel pins, guilt-by-association, middle names, flaps about being a Muslim, etc etc as smears.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you implying Obama is Mormon!?!

;)

Nah :D smears about Obama's underwear preference are an example of the ridiculousness of some of the stuff we've seen here (and elsewhere) about Obama. Some of it has gotten almost as ridiculous as that.
Ringo

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While that can be true, I would definitely count flaps about flap lapel pins, guilt-by-association, middle names, flaps about being a Muslim, etc etc as smears.
Ringo
Let me take the Democratic podium, I'll need to pause frequently for cheers:

"I hate Republicans."
:Roaring Crowd:
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"Hate Republicans who hate the US!!!!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"Republicans have ruined this country!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"McCain is Bush, hate Bush!!!! Hate McCain!!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"That is why you should vote for me!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
And that's the degree of dialog and substance you get from most Democrat speeches.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And that's the degree of dialog and substance you get from most Democrat speeches.

That's demonstrably false. A quick check of www.barackobama.com will show that Obama covers all of the major issues of this election. Moreover, I have yet to see any Democrat on this forum use that line of reasoning on this forum.

Besides which: we aren't talking about the Democratic party's platform here - we're talking about smears that are taking the place of talking about real issues of this election.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's demonstrably false. A quick check of www.barackobama.com will show that Obama covers all of the major issues of this election. Moreover, I have yet to see any Democrat on this forum use that line of reasoning on this forum.

Besides which: we aren't talking about the Democratic party's platform here - we're talking about smears that are taking the place of talking about real issues of this election.
Ringo
You:

Oh, that's wrong, his platform includes other issues than the fact that

he isn't president BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Crowd roaring:

In the context of the OP question:
I can't hear you the crowd is too loud...

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How utterly devoid of truth that is. I think that is precisely the kind of smearing the OP was talking about.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You:

Oh, that's wrong, his platform includes other issues than the fact that

In the context of the OP question:
I can't hear you the crowd is too loud...

Where have I ever said that? You're putting words into my mouth!

I think you need to stick with what I actually say/have said instead of what you think I said.
Ringo

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

WOW!
"Thank you."
:p

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"I hate Republicans."
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"Hate Republicans who hate the US!!!!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"Republicans have ruined this country!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"McCain is Bush, hate Bush!!!! Hate McCain!!!!"
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"That is why you should vote for me!!!"
"Thank you."

Wow!!!
"Thank you."
:p

Did anyone catch the emmeys last night?

Me either. :0

Didn't hear much thanks for the sacrifice of our boys and girls on duty. :(

Chriss Dodd and Barney Frank were voting against the stipulations in McCains support for the bill to curb the Fannie and Freddie Mack social experment. Now we all know Bush is to blame....

Roaring crowd....

BO was in office 2 years and got more $$$$$ then the others because he was trying to make sure the mean old Republicans didn't stop extending loans to people that could not afford them......We need to end the curroption that the Bush republican party has done to us....

Roaring crowd....

OK this is fun!;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where have I ever said that? You're putting words into my mouth!

I think you need to stick with what I actually say/have said instead of what you think I said.
Ringo
I know Obama's positions better than almost anyone I meet. You wanted me to read where he actually stands rather than referring to what the Democrats actually sound like.

Would you agree or disagree that George Bush is probably the most influential "issue" in this election?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know Obama's positions better than almost anyone I meet. You wanted me to read where he actually stands rather than referring to what the Democrats actually sound like.

Would you agree or disagree that George Bush is probably the most influential "issue" in this election?

Do you? Then you should know that Obama's platform is far more advanced than the simplistic "better than Dubya" stuff you've caricatured here.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Sick of the smears? Not a chance!
I tell ya, if one more and I mean just one more person slams Obama for being a Muslim I will absolutely vote for McCain!
And I'm not even registered to vote! Not yet that is, but one more Obama bashing will be enough to convince me to register so I can vote for John McCain this fall.
These "smears" against Obama sure have me riled up against Obama, almost enough for me to vote for McCain, almost.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Jester4kicks

Warning - The following may cause you to think
Nov 13, 2007
✟17,459.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single

Please folks... don't ruin this thread by continuing the exact types of behaviors that this thread sought to expose.

As to your question...

I don't think George Bush is an issue, it's more what he has come to symbolize. I think Obama and the democrats have realized this, and are using him as a symbol of everything that people are tired of in this country. To that end, they are able to associate McCain's ideas and policies with Bush, and are able to make it look like McCain is just going to continue walking in Bush's footsteps.

Unfortunately, I fear there is a bit of truth to that accusation. Personally, I think McCain is a smart guy. I know he has, or at least had, a good head on his shoulders. I remember his numerous appearances on The Daily Show where he talked about the failures of the Bush administration, and the path that our country was walking. If THAT McCain was running, heck... I would probably vote for him.

However... when McCain gave the commencement speech at Liberty University, he showed a little hint of what he was willing to do in order to get his party's support. He actually did one final interview on The Daily Show, and John Stewart asked him "So... Senator, is this how it's going to be?" (Referring to McCain's decision to give the commencement speech)... to which McCain replied "Yeah John, this is how it's going to be."

From there on out... it was all downhill. McCain suddenly became the stereotypical right-winger and, in my opinion, completely sold-out. Part of me still wants to vote for him, knowing that deep inside, he's a smart guy... but I can't reconcile one simple thing; if he's willing to sell-out to get the nomination... what else will he sell-out?

Please note, I'm not trying to participate in the standard smears and rumors. I'm referring specifically to McCain's attitudes and positions, and how they have changed just over the last couple years.

Upvote 0