Anyone else ever desire to because a Christian Nun or Monk and live in a Monastery or Cave ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This world has nothing to offer. It really doesn't. The only thing that matters Is Yeshua Messiah and service to The Most High God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit One God amen.
I look at these Christian Monks and Nuns and how they completely give them selves to God and just have the utmost respect for them.

And before someone comes in saying you are supposed to let your light shine and be in the world Yada Yada Yada I don't care. I'm tired of dealing with evil people in the world and working at jobs where I have to listen to bosses who I don't respect or even like and who don't care about me.
At least in a Monastery you are working with true Christian people in service to Yeshua Messiah :

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Contender for the faith,

Even in a monastary you will not be done with this world. If anything it will press in even closer because God has enough of a sense of humour to ensure the things that annoyed you in this world that you did not want to have to deal with will surely follow you into a monastic life. Its an on-going joke that if you are religious God will always but your opposite and most likely to rub you you up the wrong way brother or sister alongside you.

Further living a contemplative hermetical lifestyle does not stop the world from wanting to come and find you. My experience of a vowed life has been such that those most on need have beaten a fairly hefty path down to come and find me. The vows of poverty, obedience and chasitity exist to provide space to serve God most fully and that is often lived out in a balance of work and prayer and rest to serve as Christs hands and feet and ears to the world.

You think its tough listening to a work boss?
That is as nothing compared to the ongoing discernment and testing and answering tough questions that goes with spiritual formation as an postulant let alone the extra toughness that is the spiritual formation of a novice. It does not cease when you are professed either you remain fully accountable to the others in your Order, the wider church and the world beyond.

Becoming a Religious is not easy nor is it quick. If you cannot cope with the world you will never cope with monastic life where you have to be alongside others pretty much 24/7. Being a hermit or anchorite is even tougher as it is the poor hurting folk of the world that can come to you 24/7.

It might be wise to find a spiritual director who can be alongside to help you see where God is at work in your life as opposed to where you think you want to be.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I am more than aware of the wisdom of the desert amma's and abba's. They formed a foundational part of my Seminary studies. Far better to study and contemplate wisdom than watch Youtube snippets.

Of all the monastic spiritual paths that is the one that will bring the world and rub it right into your face. It will strip you down beyond bones and wipe the floor with you. It will take you into the dark night of the soul and show you the evil intents of your own heart. It is not a place to go just because you want to visit it. It can leave you insane if you cannot accept the world as it is.

I am concerned for you as you write about what you want to do whereas those I meet with religious vocations speak in quiet fear and in realistic terms about what God may be calling them to be. They do not idealise what the religious life involves.

The desert is my home, the core of my being. It burns and abrades the unwary and I know it is not a sanctuary for those who try to enter and who do not know how to find water. Very few are able to withstand the spiritual breaking and testing to become as fire. It is not a path to take without the support and guidance of a spiritual director who knows the desert intimately as their home.

One other point to make that you may not be aware of - Monastics need to self support through some form of work Hermits more so .

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One thing I've noticed, as someone who's had to work through her own vocational issues, is that sometimes people become interested in, or desirous of, a particular option, in part because they are not aware of the range of options out there.

It's like the person who wants to become their priest because their priest is the most holy person they've ever known. But they cannot become their priest, they can only become themselves; the self that God has created and is calling each to be.

If I were to make a suggestion, OP, it'd be to take yourself on a bit of an intentional tour of forms of service and types of spirituality. Think of the broadest possible range of Christians - from the Copts to the Salvation Army, from the trappists to the tongues-speakers, through the academics, the administrators, the artists, the chaplains, the counsellors, the liturgists, the nurses, the political activists, the social workers, the priests, the teachers, the writers - whatever else that hasn't just come straight to mind for me.

Give yourself perhaps a year, and intentionally explore what they do, how they live, how their service builds up the church. See if any of it sparks something in you. Keep a journal; maybe even find a mentor or spiritual director with whom to process what you discover over that time.

The right thing for you is out there (whether as a vocational ministry, as a paid role, as something you do as a volunteer while earning your living at something else, or even just as the right community to which to belong). It really is. But you might not even know that it exists yet.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am more than aware of the wisdom of the desert amma's and abba's.
Of all the monastic spiritual paths that is the one that will bring the world and rub it right into your face. It will strip you down beyond bones and wipe the floor with you. It will take you into the dark night of the soul and show you the evil intents of your own heart. It is not a place to go just because you want to visit it. It can leave you insane if you cannot accept the world as it is.

Actually, I have already experienced torment like St. Anthony experienced in the desert and it is absolutely a spiritual demonic torment. I've also experienced torment from evil humans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with @Paidiske. You need to spend time studying the spiritual tradition in which monasticism would be meaningful before you dive into it. Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

When I was much younger as a teenager I fancied being a monk would be just grand. But I was raised a Methodist, and decidedly Protestant. Of course I also felt drawn to learn more about ancient Christian traditions and became more well-read about stuff other than fuzzy liberal Methodist religion.

Still, there are practical limitations on who you can be, not just who you want to be. And learning that distinction and accepting it is part of maturity.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This world has nothing to offer. It really doesn't. The only thing that matters Is Yeshua Messiah and service to The Most High God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit One God amen.
I look at these Christian Monks and Nuns and how they completely give them selves to God and just have the utmost respect for them.

And before someone comes in saying you are supposed to let your light shine and be in the world Yada Yada Yada I don't care. I'm tired of dealing with evil people in the world and working at jobs where I have to listen to bosses who I don't respect or even like and who don't care about me.
At least in a Monastery you are working with true Christian people in service to Yeshua Messiah :

You could look more closely into something like this:
About

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Let me ask some questions:
  1. Have you ever visited a monastery?
  2. Do you have it in yourself to pray for several hours a day?
  3. Are you a good singer? Most of the time our prayers are chanted.
  4. Do you LIKE hard work, usually out in the hot sun?
  5. The Monks you are looking at are Ethiopian Christians. Can you place yourself under the authority to their Patriarch?
  6. Do you believe that the Bread and Wine of the Eucharist become the True Body and Precious Blood of our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ?
  7. The Ethiopian Christians have a strong liturgical tradition. Can you willingly live and celebrate the various Liturgical traditions that they hold dear?
  8. Do you want to become a monk because you see pictures of monks meditating in serenity and peace?
  9. Do you want to become a monk because you hate your boss, and you think you will have a superior that will respect you, and support you in your vocation?
Let's face it, if you can't answer all of these questions honestly, and say an honest NO to #8 and #9, and yes to all of the others, you are not cut out for a monastery.

While I have other talents, I mostly wash dishes. I can guarantee you that for all of your time as a postulant, and almost all of your time as a novice washing dishes, mopping the floors, emptying bed pans, and all of the drudge work that goes on.

Plus, you will still be required to pray and sing at all of the services.

Once you become a tonsured monk, there are more duties that will take more time.

In almost all monasteries, even the eremetic (monasteries made up of hermits) ones in the deserts of Ethiopia spend most of their time in labor.

Your monastic superior will still boss you around, and be just as critical of your work.

Finally, most postulants leave before 90 days are up.

I have done all of that. I am a tonsured Rassaphore monk of the Melkite Catholic Church. It took me at least ten years to do it.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai desert of Egypt is an Eastern Orthodox monastery founded in 527 AD. In1844 a Bible scholar named Constantin von Tischendorf visited St. Catherine's and discovered one of the world's oldest Bibles dating from the fourth century. This Bible is called the Codex Sinaiticus.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I used to when I was a young Christian but now I'm more mature I understand that we have a calling to share the gospel. I find that changes God has made in me make it easier to live in the world and you gradually learn more about why the world is like it is and try to make a difference with what influence you have.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread is closed for review.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums