Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been lifting weights, and doing cardio. But I've been dealing with soreness and lower back pain. I'm thinking if I did yoga it would lessen these issues. Anyone have any experience doing yoga and if so what benefits did you receive?

John 12:25

Aug 14, 2018
Florida
✟5,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yoga is part of the new age/eastern mysticism/Hindu belief systems. It is associated with the occult, and also used by some of these new age people to activate the kundalini chakras. Seems as if the higher ups of this cult promote the idea that mortal man is divine and other new age concepts.

Of course it isn’t my job to condemn anyone, I know I am as deserving of hell as can be. But I’d stay away from yoga, what the Lord has shown me about this ‘new age’ lifestyle that is so popular these days is not good. It has been mentioned that some of the yoga poses are actually worship to the various false gods.

The world would have you believe it is all just ‘exercise’ and what not, but usually there is more to things than meets the eye in Satan’s earthly kingdom. Maybe try rest, nutrition, and prayer for help with injury?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been lifting weights, and doing cardio. But I've been dealing with soreness and lower back pain. I'm thinking if I did yoga it would lessen these issues. Anyone have any experience doing yoga and if so what benefits did you receive?

Having been to about 12 different yoga places back in the years when I occasionally did those kinds of things, I never once heard anything 'spiritual' or 'mystical' from the yoga teacher (though one time another speaker came in for a bit to advertise some visiting guy from India, some guru, which I simply ignored until he finished), but for every class it was about the stretching -- just only another kind of exercise class, but usually good for stretching and relieving stress.

If you go to the rare and unusual yoga class where they want you to learn some spiritual this or that, merely skip out and go elsewhere. You won't have to go far to find a class that is just about the stretching.

Generally Yoga in America has 0% spirituality.

And Yoga is often pretty good for back stuff, but my experience is that different teachers are different in their effects on you.

So be choosy.

Choose one that is good for your trouble -- makes you feel good later instead of feeling just sore (like some will) -- and don't keep going to one that isn't. Go around until you find a really great one.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And Yoga is often pretty good for back stuff, but my experience is that different teachers are different in their effects on you.

Did you notice any mental benefits like stress relief or better focus, or one video said it could even help you control food cravings better.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you notice any mental benefits like stress relief or better focus, or one video said it could even help you control food cravings better.

Well, even just a good 10 minute walk will help you control food cravings better. It's just exercise that does that, so yes, Yoga can help do that.

About stress relief, my personal experience is that some yoga classes were good for that, and others very so-so.

For focus, I found Yoga somewhat like talking a walk -- it can help, but it's because it's exercise and taking a break from other things for a bit. Much better for focus would be a meditative time, like 15 minutes, when you have zero distractions (of all kinds, turn off smartphone, etc.) and just focus on your breathing or looking at clouds, or such. Possibly a stroll in nature can sometimes help a lot. One extremely good thing is to pray the Lord's Prayer, taking your time, and meaning every word. Going as slow as needed to truly mean every word.

Upvote 0

Teamo

Oct 17, 2018
NJ
✟28,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been taking yoga classes for the past month (some free ones at my library, and one at the local adult school), and I got a book to do it at home. I don't exercise so it's a been a good way to get myself moving. Maybe it will whet my appetite to start doing cardio and weights.

I'm only in the beginner classes, so far I haven't broken a sweat, maybe that happens when you do the more advanced classes.

I enjoy the meditation aspects of it. I tried doing sitting meditation but I get antsy after 20 min. With yoga you get to combine meditation with movement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yoga is part of the new age/eastern mysticism/Hindu belief systems. It is associated with the occult, and also used by some of these new age people to activate the kundalini chakras. Seems as if the higher ups of this cult promote the idea that mortal man is divine and other new age concepts.

Of course it isn’t my job to condemn anyone, I know I am as deserving of hell as can be. But I’d stay away from yoga, what the Lord has shown me about this ‘new age’ lifestyle that is so popular these days is not good. It has been mentioned that some of the yoga poses are actually worship to the various false gods.

The world would have you believe it is all just ‘exercise’ and what not, but usually there is more to things than meets the eye in Satan’s earthly kingdom. Maybe try rest, nutrition, and prayer for help with injury?
BINGO! I have a testimony in my blog to this. Yoga is NOT a physical workout but geared to be a spiritual awakening. I found this out the HARD way. Put it this way, you're worshipping 333 million gods and goddesses in those poses. Now, you wanna worship them or do you want to ask our One Sovereign God for healing? You decide. I highly recommend you going to do your own research though.

Stretching can be done absolutely without anything yoga or pilates related. They are basically one and the same.

Upvote 0

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a friend (non-Christian) who is totally into yoga in Portland, Oregon so over the weekend I joined her for 3 classes (with three different instructors). Given the time of year, Pisces is the sign of the zodiac. One instructor went on and on about Pisces and what traits we get from Pisces and how we are fishlike and how some little fish swam into some cave and heard so and so teaching yoga to so and so and the little fish learned the yoga then taught it to men outside the cave. Another instructor briefly mentioned chakras. The studio is called Core Power Yoga. They are a chain although I don't know in how many cities. I went to their Facebook page and there were quite a number of articles that we full of the eastern spiritual aspects of yoga. One of the instructors said nothing spiritual although it is a common practice in yoga classes to end with the greeting "namaste" which roughly means "the light/divine within me bows to the light/divine within you." That is an ancient spiritual belief where we are all part of the divine and we see it in each other. So I think it depends on the studio. I think there is often spirituality there if you know the key words and concepts but could easily miss it.

There have been Christian attempts to "Christianize yoga" by removing eastern religious symbols and terminology. You can certainly do that and just stick to the poses. Interestingly, there is a movement back in India to "take back yoga." They don't like these attempts to separate yoga from its Hindu/Buddhist roots. This includes the prime minister of India.

Yoga is good for stretching, balance, and strengthening. Some studios offer versions that incorporate hand weights to add a power element and faster repetition to introduce some cardio. This studio called it body sculpt. Hot yoga is still around. Temperatures can range from 98 to 105 degrees. Personally, I don't like it. You sweat like crazy and at best it adds nothing and at worse, it can be dangerous. I read a study that says most of the benefits from hot yoga are achieved in a normally heated/cooled room. Yes there is a steam room type of benefit but while steam rooms are hotter still you are usually only in them for 10-15 minutes and not moving around. I found the heat oppressive.

I think you can get similar benefits through stretching and pilates and avoid any of the spiritual oppression. I have no intention of taking further classes. I wanted to see what she was experiencing since she is so into it. I agree that not everyone gets a heavy dose of eastern religion and some none but you certainly want your spiritual guard up if you try it.

Upvote 0