Anybody know of any good Puritan theologians?

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So to preface this I ought to start by saying that a huge chunk of my ancestors were Puritans and/or Pilgrims who came over to America in the 1600s. I'm a Lutheran (obviously), but am trying to get in touch with and learn about my theological ancestry.

I've read some Edwards, and really, really enjoy his work, and am wondering if there are any other good Puritan theologians that would make for a good read, representative of the thoughts of many of the Anglo-American Puritans, &c.

I've also considered picking up a copy of Beeke and Jones' A Puritan Theology, as well as Calvin's Institutes.

Any recommendations?

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Works of John Owen (Banner of Truth)
The Works of John Flavel
The Works of Thomas Brooks
The Works of Richard Sibbes
The Works of Thomas Boston (Tentmaker Publications)
The Works of Thomas Goodwin (Reformation Heritage)
The Complete Works of Thomas Manton (Solid Ground Christian Books)

See also:
http://tonyreinke.com/2007/02/07/the-puritan-study-series-index/

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I recommend this edition:

9781598561685o.gif

Upvote 0

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Works of John Owen (Banner of Truth)
The Works of John Flavel
The Works of Thomas Brooks
The Works of Richard Sibbes
The Works of Thomas Boston (Tentmaker Publications)
The Works of Thomas Goodwin (Reformation Heritage)
The Complete Works of Thomas Manton (Solid Ground Christian Books)

See also:
http://tonyreinke.com/2007/02/07/the-puritan-study-series-index/

Thank you! I'll look into these.

I recommend this edition:

9781598561685o.gif

I was looking at that one. Now I'll choose it.
-------
On a side note, I've also made the decision to get John Knox's works from Banner of Truth.

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am no expert on Church History but while Edwards is distinctly American, Owens is very puritan (just not American, he is English). I have read "Death of Death in the Death of Christ," and also parts of his commentaries on Hebrews. Death of Death is not an easy read, but it is well worth the effort. The book is actually a debate book. He is responding to Hugo Grotius, and possible some other Arminian authors. Many of his arguments are still used by Reformed people today (but they are still good arguments and have never been refuted). Owen was a part of The 5 articles of the Remonstrance was published in 1610, Owen would have been a little later in the 1600s.

While Owens was not American, he did interact with American Puritans. His work "Truth and Innocence Vindicated" contains a defense of his non-conformist congregational theology. He has many other works... one on the trinity, and several others.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Though not Puritan, I'd take a look at Banner of Truth's The Works of John Knox.

I've also been through the struggle you're going through, and found great solace in Edwards and Owen.

If you're interested in Knox and the [later] Covenanter movements, there's a great book Banner of Truth put out by John MacLeod, who was a Wee Free, called Scottish Theology in Relation to Church History off of a series of lectures MacLeod gave in 1939 on the tenth anniversary of the founding of Westminster Theological Seminary. I'd be lying if I said it was an easy read, but it really shows how influential Presbyterianism has been on modern Western culture and Christendom.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you don't mind reading on a computer or printing selections to read, check out the free modules I have created for the free theWord Bible Software here: http://www.wordmodules.com/user/5794-inspired-word/page__tab__idm I recommend them all, including the Puritan works. I am working on updating one of them, and adding John Bunyan's works to the list, one of the most beloved and renown of the Puritans. His fiction work "The Pilgrim's Progress" is considered a classic, even in the secular world of reading (which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it is an interesting fact). The collector in me would like to someday own an Easton Press leather edition from 1974 in pristine condition, but the economist in me has too many other financial priorities. lol

Upvote 0