Anybody know how long it takes for robins to hatch their eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil413

Legend
Apr 23, 2005
southern Illinois
✟28,483.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife hung an old fruit basket out on our car port for me to get rid of and before I had a chance to get rid of it a robin built a nest and laid 4 eggs in it. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for their eggs to hatch and how old they are when they leave the nest?

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
why wait? Just make an omlette. Baby robins aren't much more than a mouthful, but with 4 eggs you can feed one peson, yummy! (maybe you can find good recipes on the recipe forum, if not, let me know & I'll post one!)

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phil413 said:
My wife hung an old fruit basket out on our car port for me to get rid of and before I had a chance to get rid of it a robin built a nest and laid 4 eggs in it. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for their eggs to hatch and how old they are when they leave the nest?

y'know what this sounds like to me? A typical way to get out of doing what the wife said:

"get rid of that fruit basket!"

"Ok, on my way..."

(ten minutes later)

"awwww, I guess it'll just hafta stay right where it is, there's a nest of eggs in it!"

"Well if you had done it back when I told you to, we wouldn't have this problem! Bring in the eggs, we'll cook & eat 'em!"

"Uh...No! lovestrav the internet being said they were almost ready to hatch! now we hafta wait 4 more months, till they leave the nest! I'll be in the hammock, waiting patiently if ya need me!"

Upvote 0

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Phil413 said:

Lol, sounds like something I would do... sorry but I think it will take a while, I had some when I was a kid and I remember it taking forever

Is this the secret post? :scratch:

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

Phil413

Legend
Apr 23, 2005
southern Illinois
✟28,483.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
reformedfan said:
y'know what this sounds like to me? A typical way to get out of doing what the wife said:

"get rid of that fruit basket!"

"Ok, on my way..."

(ten minutes later)

"awwww, I guess it'll just hafta stay right where it is, there's a nest of eggs in it!"

"Well if you had done it back when I told you to, we wouldn't have this problem! Bring in the eggs, we'll cook & eat 'em!"

"Uh...No! lovestrav the internet being said they were almost ready to hatch! now we hafta wait 4 more months, till they leave the nest! I'll be in the hammock, waiting patiently if ya need me!"

LOL nope I usually don't think that far in advanced. It's my wife that didn't want them disturbed. I was thinking, if memory serves me right, that they get a little protective when have babies. If that's true I imagine we are both going to be swooped a time or two before this is all over.

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil413

Legend
Apr 23, 2005
southern Illinois
✟28,483.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Woo hoo, the last one of the three baby robins have left the nest this morning, and I never got swooped even once. It was kinda cool watching them hatch and the way they took care of them.

Now I don't have any excuses, I gotta get rid of the fruit basket, and make the little lady happy.

Reactions: lovestrav
Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
then again, if you leave it there, maybe the robins could provide you with a lucrative little cottage industry, selling their eggs & feathers!

I bet lotsa suburban kids would LOVE to own a robin of their very own, especially since the salt on the tail trick doesn't work so well in real life!

You could be a robin trafficker!

Upvote 0

Mashley

Sep 8, 2004
United States
✟8,704.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Last year, a robin built a nest on our windowsill. This year, she came back and laid eggs again. One morning, I had looked into the nest and the eggs were there. About an hour later, the eggs and the baby bird that was in there were gone. There was one egg left. The momma bird never came back. I don't know what happened to the other two eggs and the baby bird. Anyways, to answer your question: I think the egg hatched in about two weeks. They stay in the nest for awhile afterwards though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lovestrav said:
How long did it take the baby birds to leave the nest after they were hatched? I have a kildeer nest in my driveway, and I'm scared that someone's going to hit the babies.

Does your driveway double as a freeway on ramp?

At my husb work whenever big, dumb geese indolently lay their eggs wherever they happen to land, they put pylons around & rope off the area so the babies are safe & we all have something to make fun of..

Upvote 0

Phil413

Legend
Apr 23, 2005
southern Illinois
✟28,483.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lovestrav said:
How long did it take the baby birds to leave the nest after they were hatched? I have a kildeer nest in my driveway, and I'm scared that someone's going to hit the babies.

Just a little over two weeks.

Reactions: lovestrav
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.