• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Any Writers In Here? Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by MariaJLM, May 16, 2019 at 4:21 AM.

1. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,378
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Okay, so I have a potentially interesting idea floating around in my head for a post-apocalyptic story.

The basic premise is that an apocalyptic event(which remains vague in the actual storyline as it's not really important to the plot) recently wiped out most of humanity. Those that survived have kind of taken to living off underground shelters and stuff, forming their own like-minded communities. In the months following the apocalypse they are working on re-establishing civilization. Among those survivors is a single bishop, which soon captures the interest of local Doomsday Cultists that have cropped up since the near complete destruction of humanity. They, being the fanatics they are, quickly learn who the bishop is and what he potentially represents to the rest of the survivors. Since they want to finish what they believe is incomplete they seek to kill the bishop, ending the church as he is the last direct link to the line of apostolic succession.

In comes our main protagonists, a rag-tag group of survivors who are soon tasked with protecting the bishop and transporting him to a place of refuge so he can attempt to rebuild the church and restore hope. It is a task they only reluctantly accept, but over time they become more devoted to it as they learn more deeply what exactly is at stake if they fail. (All the details between there are to be filled in along the way.)

That's the basic premise, but I'm honestly stuck on how to conduct the opening. It's the one thing currently holding me back from writing it. It is meant to begin with the group of survivors and then a couple chapters or so in they discover the bishop. Keep in mind that this particular group of survivors is made up of pretty awful people, or at least ones who did awful things in their lives previously to the apocalypse. I'm talking atheists, Satanists, thieves, gang members, etc. Exactly the sort of personalities one would not expect to be protecting a Christian bishop, of all people.

So yea, how do I go about starting this little tale off? I am a writer so I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing. If anybody is wondering I'm going for dark and gritty, possibly violent due to the inevitable clashes with the antagonist faction. I also get a Mad Max sort of vibe, but with Orthodoxy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,378
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Never mind. Just remembered there's a creative writing subsection here. I'll ask to have this moved there.

3. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,078
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Good idea to have this moved to the Creative Writing forum here....... I do have some ideas on how you can begin this but I think you may find something rather inspiring that I read a few years ago. Near death experiencer and former skeptic Howard Storm was shown that every prediction in the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the minor prophets will come to pass and by the year 2185 G-d wants this earth to be very different than it is at this time:

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,590
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    PM Dorothea on here. she is a budding author.

5. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,078
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Here is one of the discussions that I have going over on Writers Guild here:

Auditions for the role of Elijah needed.....

You might find this to be somewhat useful?

6. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+14,782
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Only a sec here but I dabbled in such things.

Since your event is vague go the sake of the story, Id jump right into action that shows the setting and the characters, but creates mystery of how it came to be that way. Gritty and grainy probably means a pretty intense scene, though that could be overdone for an opening.

I like the idea of a character fleeing, perhaps, along with a bit of stream of consciousness or at least motives and considerations, then drop them into interaction with other character/s.

I like your idea. :) Not sure of widespread acceptance but I like it a lot.

7. -Sasha-

-Sasha- Handmaid of God

+181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My first inclination is that the opening scene could be your merry band of miscreants observing and planning to rob a lone survivor who they find foraging around near their camp. You could write it so that at first it sounds like a hunter vs prey animal scenario, only slowly adding details to make it apparent that is a human target.

I don't know if you've already figured out how to introduce your bishop into the mix, but you could perhaps incorporate him into the latter parts of this scene. Maybe they plan to take the lone survivor hostage, and he presents himself to be taken in her place. It could appeal to the atheists and satanists in your group to do so, and it would give an initial excuse for him being under their "protection" before they've become devoted to his cause, if the doomsday cults try to raid their camp to get access to the bishop.

8. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+480
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I like the plot here ! I'd read your book!

9. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,378
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Thanks, guys! I wanted to move this last night, but I fell asleep since it was pretty late when I typed it all up. I'll do that now. I just need to find a mod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+897
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Good for you, and sounds like a fun story!

There are corners of Orthodoxy that claim we shouldn't write fiction, especially fantasy and sci-fi, but I strongly disagree. As Christians we need to find ways to connect Christianity to the people. These genres are great for doing that.

11. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,572
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I like it. Who will be the hero? The bishop? Or will it be one of the other characters in the story?

12. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,378
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Who says that? What a bunch of buzzkills.

13. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic

+416
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Well there are a few ideas. The first is I have gotten a lot of amusement from Tv tropes, but that web site would probably help you a lot in the long run. Tropes are something you should familiarize yourself with in general so you can use them to create the right sort of mood, setting etc. A good way is to look up your favorite stories, movies, computer games and just read through some of the listings (they often can be quite funny).

Mad Max

One intriguing device I've seen used well is to tell the story from the perspective of another character who is not hero, or one of the heroes friends. Like from the perspective of a villain or a nobody commoner. One of the most interesting Spiderman Comics I ever read was written from the villains perspective.

Besides that, I also really love the false or decoy protagonist.

Decoy Protagonist - TV Tropes

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 2:04 AM
  14. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+854
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Interesting! This is neither here nor there, but as I was reading the description of your plot, I kept thinking of P. D. James’ The Children Of Men. (Just the very general outline, not the details.). It’s a good book with a Christian element to it.

15. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 In the Phantom Zone in exile

+5,027
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I say just make the characters kill each other for gasoline in the Australian outback. Mohawks, muscle cars, Mel Gibson, a gyrocaptain....oh wait....

16. Moses Medina

Moses Medina St. Moses the Ethiopian

+212
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    The ancient faith store has 3 fantasy books that are based off a Russian fairy tale.

I like writing stories myself. I hope to one day write a story once I am more estabkished in Orthodoxy and am not such a "n00b"

17. YCGP

YCGP Active Member

+120
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I would read this book!