Any tips on going from a high sugar lifestyle to a low carb diet without getting blood sugar crashes

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I should clarify, it is helpful in transition, but the other place it can be helpful is if you are in the middle of a fasting cycle (some do longer fasts, some do intermittent, etc.) and you are really struggling, you can use MCT to give you an energy boost without losing the positive benefits of lower protein (for autophagy) and of lower insulin.
Ive heard of people adding this and coconut oil in their coffee at breakfast

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive heard of people adding this and coconut oil in their coffee at breakfast

Yeah, I have to admit though I love cream in coffee. And I think my family, since going low carb, probably need a cream intervention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,494.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I didn't even know that existed.
Even people who are smart enough to get themselves off of diet drinks will suffer cravings for years. But that is not a normal food dependency. Sugar and starch (sugar also being a by-product of starch) has always been known as the poor man's diet. Effective for survival but not recommended for any length of time. Unfortunately, most processed food which fill the grocery stores are nothing but sugar and starch.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,494.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This from a nurse of over 45 yrs, a friend with erratic sugar levels.

'
Low is hypo...glycemia...
High or hyper... is diabetic....

In people without diabetes, hypoglycemia can result from the body producing too much insulin after a meal, causing blood sugar levels to drop. This is called reactive hypoglycemia. Reactive hypoglycemia can be an early sign of diabetes

Go lighter on carbs...more protein...,
Been trying to do that for years....if I give in and eat a tad more sugar, writhin an hour or so, I crash and can sleep for hours! Blood sugar drops drastically after initial surge from the carbs...

Glucose rises but then drops abnormally quick. That’s when there’s no energy,....I see black dots sometimes! The key is to keep glucose at a steady level to avoid fluctuations...small meals throughout the day, protein...even something like cheese or nuts,,, people at work eat doughnuts...but if I do I get the sudden drop later, get lethargic... so I don't any more
Gotta watch what you eat, how you react...everyone is different...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No, I don't have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
Good, but the switch from not being diabetic to being diabetic could take you by surprise. If this persists, do visit your doctor. I'm all for taking our care into our own hands, but I'm not afraid to visit a doctor when things get odd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I ate fruit this morning and had some carbs, but my blood sugar crashed. I have gone from a very high sugar diet (for about 30 years) to a healthier diet the past few weeks, but it's a difficult change on my body at times. I had a peach this morning, some pineapple, and a little sugar in my coffee, so I was not completely carb free, but my blood sugar still crashed. Any advice to make the transition easier?

Transitioning to a ketogenic diet and checking ketone levels helped me alot (I started out with keto strips, now I use a breathalyzer, which is much more accurate). Checking ketone levels is important because you don't want to overdo it- you don't have to eliminate all carbohydrates, just choose smarter choices (low glycemic, smaller portions, etc). Also, make sure you are getting adequate trace minerals, especially chromium.

Regular cardiovascular exercise is also important, especially high intensity interval training. It helps both your insulin sensitivity and your mood and overall cognition.

I also practice intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast. After doing this for weeks, I don't really miss it. Intermittent fasting has a number of health benefits, including increasing cell autophagy- the cells eat up waste products that are ordinarily just lying around, improving the health of the cell. If you are constantly eating throughout the day, this does not happen to an appreciable degree. Intermittent fasting also increases production of human growth hormone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

khaldabokhald

Oct 17, 2019
cairo
✟7,701.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I’ve tried many different ways to cure this. Here’s a link to a video that give some grate tips.
Donia 2 Link
Click on that link above and once you land on this page, click where it says “I am not a robot”
And then you will be redirected on the YouTube video

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing new. My tongue has always been gross looking and whitish to me.

If your tongue (back of your tongue) is coated with a pasty plaque you have a serious digestion problem that may account for your 'blood sugar' problems. This means your gut biome is either overworked (too much food), confused (too many different foods), or weakened (by too much sugar, or alcohol). Address these problems and you should be ok.

Some easy indicators of good diet and digestive health are,

A clean tongue, uniformly pinkish red, slightly glazed with white.
Fresh breath.
Absence of bloating after eating.
Absence of hunger throughout the day.
Consistent energy level.
Regular bowel movements, with no 'urgency'.
Well formed stool ('banana', or 'puppy dog's tail'), easily passed, with little odor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something that can also cause those symptoms is not getting enough salt. I experienced that when I first started on a low-carb diet and intermittent fasting. I was feeling horrible and thought I was having sugar withdrawals and cravings. However, I understood that logically my body didn't actually need sugar, so whatever I was craving wasn't sugar. I started upping my salt when I felt like that, and those symptoms began to go away.

I had been using pink Himalayan salt, but I have switched to Redmond's Real Salt, and I like it a whole lot more. It has a higher mineral profile, has a more pleasant taste, and is mined in Utah, so it is cheaper to ship, and thus cheaper over all.

Upvote 0

Arbown

Jan 16, 2018
Somewhere
✟36,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I ate fruit this morning and had some carbs, but my blood sugar crashed. I have gone from a very high sugar diet (for about 30 years) to a healthier diet the past few weeks, but it's a difficult change on my body at times. I had a peach this morning, some pineapple, and a little sugar in my coffee, so I was not completely carb free, but my blood sugar still crashed. Any advice to make the transition easier?
Pick low glycemic fruit: apples, oranges, etc. Pineapple has a lot of sugar in it. Peaches are moderate glycemic I think. Eat a palm sized piece of meat every meal, even if it's just an egg. If you are also eliminating most grain (as it's fating as heck), make sure you are getting more fat in your diet. Your metabolism is looking for either sugar or fat for energy, so if you aren't going for sugar/carbs, go with nut butters, cheese, etc.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Has this been resolved satisfactorily? (i.e. steady levels instead of roller coaster numbers?)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I've heard of coconut oil in coffee, but I'm not that brave ^_^
Test a little first, to be sure of no allergy.

Then just a touch of coconut oil on a spoon... roll the oil around in the mouth... wait ten to twenty minutes before doing more.

If allergies are already known, test the oil on the skin first - see if it turns red/ reacts.

Then step by step, find out how wonderful it is ! (better than bttwr)

For stable bld sgr lvls, btw, chlorophyl causes miracles to happen (seemingly).

From roller coaster spikes, needing to eat within a few minutes to avoid dizziness,
to (gradually ) a five hour window, with no dizziness at all...

Upvote 0