Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've only just come across this show, and I've mixed feelings about it. But the acting is incredible. It's a rapture-like event where 2% of the population vanishes (dubbed "the Sudden Departure"), but the departed are randomly selected. The "Remnant" (those left behind, so to speak), includes Christians.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Last edited:

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't watch much of anything from secular TV nor HBO in decades, so pardon me that I've never heard of this till now.

How sweet you are. I don't watch much TV, either. I came upon the show by happenstance online. It piqued my interest. The same writer that worked on Lost, worked on this show. (Full disclosure: I've not watched an episode of Lost!)

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I keep meaning to get back to it. I was in the middle of the second season and kind of wandered away. It's not because of the show really, I just tend to do that. It wasn't bad - not a favorite but you're right the acting is well-done, and the tone is pretty bleak.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've only just come across this show, and I've mixed feelings about it. But the acting is incredible. It's a rapture-like event where 2% of the population vanishes (dubbed "the Sudden Departure"), but the departed are randomly selected. The "Remnant" (those left behind, so to speak), includes Christians.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

IT was interesting at first.....then it gets really weird and then cuts off abruptly.... I dont believe they got renewed after a season or two.

All in all, I found it unrelated to most religious interpretations of rapture.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think this show mocks the Christian concept?
I've been practicing, for a while, the control of my heart and mind.....So I am no longer prone to finding, or looking for offense from outside sources. However, I think it possible that some could find offense in the show.....especially those that are extremely religious. But who know....maybe it was a christian to wrote it....hiding truth inside of a story the world could enjoy watching?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do remember believing that it was going to be a religious show when I started watching.....and moving quickly from that idea after watching the first episode...... I think it would have been more entertaining and successful had it included a more religious theme....even if it were mocking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do remember believing that it was going to be a religious show when I started watching.....and moving quickly from that idea after watching the first episode...... I think it would have been more entertaining and successful had it included a more religious theme....even if it were mocking.

I think the chain-smoking cult that arises out of the chaos is an odd choice. But you are right, it's entertainment for entertainment's sake...or it's thought provoking, dependent upon who you are.

I definitely think too much. :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think this show mocks the Christian concept?

No, not at all. I think it was another twist on the idea of what the world would be like if people randomly died or disappeared. Found the story interesting, and it's been done before and since by others.

Upvote 0