NJ
✟8,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I know that this isn't ELCA, but I figured it'd be more productive to ask here than the main Lutheran forum since the CoS is part of the LWF like the ELCA.

So I'd consider myself in the "evangelical catholic" vein of Lutheranism, unfortunately around me it seems that Lutheranism has been heavily influenced by either pietism, crypto-calvinism, or both. I admire the Church of Sweden for its commitment to solid liturgy as well as its maintaining of the episcopate, but I fear when I hear how secular it is over in the Nordics. As someone considering pursuing ordination it seems like I'd be a better fit over there in Europe, plus as someone who is disabled I could really benefit from the economic structures over there. I guess I'm just afraid of joining a dead church

Reactions: Daniel9v9

Till Schilling

Feb 3, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
✟17,430.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I admire the Church of Sweden for its commitment to solid liturgy as well as its maintaining of the episcopate, but I fear when I hear how secular it is over in the Nordics.

Eva Brunne - Wikipedia
Gerd Eva Cecilia Brunne (born 7 March 1954) is a bishop in the Church of Sweden. She served as the Bishop of Stockholm from 2009 till 2019. She is the first openly lesbian bishopof a mainstream church in the world and the first bishop of the Church of Sweden to be in a registered same-sex partnership.”

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,555.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know that this isn't ELCA, but I figured it'd be more productive to ask here than the main Lutheran forum since the CoS is part of the LWF like the ELCA.

So I'd consider myself in the "evangelical catholic" vein of Lutheranism, unfortunately around me it seems that Lutheranism has been heavily influenced by either pietism, crypto-calvinism, or both. I admire the Church of Sweden for its commitment to solid liturgy as well as its maintaining of the episcopate, but I fear when I hear how secular it is over in the Nordics. As someone considering pursuing ordination it seems like I'd be a better fit over there in Europe, plus as someone who is disabled I could really benefit from the economic structures over there. I guess I'm just afraid of joining a dead church
If you find that you are more conservative than the State Church, you can take a look at the Mission Province of Sweden. It independent of the State Church and remain very traditioally evangelical Catholic, and Confessional:

Missionsprovinsen - Wikipedia.

Missionsprovinsen - Välkommen hem

Upvote 0