Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have used the Scofield KJV Study Bible for many years and highly recommend it. It and other Bible books and ministry; and Church history, can be obtained at Bibletruth Publishers.com in Addison, IL USA. I like this study Bible, as it does not change the KJV wording, but shows in the margins and footnotes what some words truly mean; and gives excellent commentary on content and relationship of the verses. I have avoided various new versons which are in modern wordings that often alter the Bible message.

Reactions: Deano715
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a new Christian (year now) and in the past year, I've been strictly reading the Bible and taking notes on my own. Now that I'm reading the Old Testament, I feel like I'm struggling in some of the chapters a bit such as Exodus and Numbers - My brain can't seem to process when it talks about the tabernacle and offerings.

I'm not part of a particular denomination yet, but if this will help with some suggestions:
- I have the ESV and NKJV. I plan to get KJV as well.
- I'm currently using the NKJV for reading the Old Testament and would like to use it for re-reading the New Testament.
- I am a born again Christian.

Would highly appreciate any suggestions!

Edit: Thank you to all who have suggested thus far! I've marked books that have interested me, which are basically any books that goes more deep into studying the Bible. I'm also looking for commentary books, as I believe that will help eliminate the need for me to use my phone or computer to look at online commentary sites.
Honestly there are so many free resources online, things like bible hub etc, even just google the question you have.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This one seems like a very good book to have in a collection although it's showing as over $100 on Amazon. Yikes! But I'll do some window shopping for a cheaper price.
Yeah, be careful when shopping on amazon. People buy originals and then resell them for much more. I know I find my books being sold by resellers who buy the original for my price and then resell them for much more. So look for the lowest price!!!!

Upvote 0

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly there are so many free resources online, things like bible hub etc, even just google the question you have.

Very true! But for some reason, my brain doesn't memorize and grasp things easily when I read content online or in a digital form, especially when it comes to studying :/

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very true! But for some reason, my brain doesn't memorize and grasp things easily when I read content online or in a digital form, especially when it comes to studying :/

Yes, our mind is often referred to "..as the plaything of the Devil" I have often heard. That is why I value the Scofield KJV study Bible, as I said herein to hear what God is saying to me.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am a new Christian (year now) and in the past year, I've been strictly reading the Bible and taking notes on my own. Now that I'm reading the Old Testament, I feel like I'm struggling in some of the chapters a bit such as Exodus and Numbers - My brain can't seem to process when it talks about the tabernacle and offerings.

I'm not part of a particular denomination yet, but if this will help with some suggestions:
- I'm currently using the NKJV for reading the Old Testament and would like to use it for re-reading the New Testament.

Edit: Thank you to all who have suggested thus far! I've marked books that have interested me, which are basically any books that goes more deep into studying the Bible. I'm also looking for commentary books, as I believe that will help eliminate the need for me to use my phone or computer to look at online commentary sites.
AmazingFacts.com has some great Bible Study guides:

Read | Free Online Library | Amazing Facts

God bless!

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just keep in mind that you are on a site that is going to teach the SDA view of scripture, not saying that it is wrong, just that it is slanted to a particular view.
The SDA church is a bible believing, Christian denomination that is one of the few denominations left that still believes in the Ten Commandments Exodus 20, John 14:15, 1 John 5:3, Revelation 14:12and believes in both the Old Testament and New Testament. If thats slanted, I guess we are guilty as charged. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Exodus: A 12-Week Study

^^^ Exodus

Numbers: A 12-Week Study

^^^ Numbers

Both books are affordable

You can also pick up:

God in Our Midst: The Tabernacle and Our Relationship with God: Rev. Daniel Hyde - Hardcover, Book | Ligonier Ministries Store

At Ligonier ministries website for 14.40 on sale, or Google the book and find it elsewhere used at a slightly more reasonable price. This book is specifically about the Tabernacle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The SDA church is a bible believing, Christian denomination that is one of the few denominations left that still believes in the Ten Commandments Exodus 20, John 14:15, 1 John 5:3, Revelation 14:12and believes in both the Old Testament and New Testament. If thats slanted, I guess we are guilty as charged. God bless.
I believe that you also claim to have a prophet named Ellen White who has several volumes of work expounding on the scriptures and giving opinions on the meaning of scripture that may or may not be accurate depending once again on what you believe or who you believe.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe that you also claim to have a prophet named Ellen White who has several volumes of work expounding on the scriptures and giving opinions on the meaning of scripture that may or may not be accurate depending once again on what you believe or who you believe.
You seem to be derailing this thread for some reason and off topic to the OP, but to answer this question, the Bible talks about the remnant church having the spirit of prophecy. Ellen White was a messenger and points everyone back to scripture and glorifies God. The book Steps to Christ has brought many people to the Lord. Everything must be proven by scripture and if you want to talk scripture maybe you can start a separate thread. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just saw this thread. It's old, I know, but I have a few really good suggestions for you:

"The Green Letters" by Miles J. Stanford
"How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth," by Gordon D. Fee and Douglas Stuart
"The Essential Guide to Spiritual Warfare," by Neil T. Anderson and Timothy Warner

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are many books about how to study the Bible, but we need to be sure it is in accord with Holy Scripture for truth and "unity of the faith", as God wants (as also in such as I Cor. 12:25; Eph. 4:4; Acts 2:41-46; Romans 16; etc.); and not religious groups with a prescribed formula to meet their assumed way, in every neighborhood. The universal church needs to be of "one accord" worldwide as God tells us. I found the web site at Biblecounsel.net to provide a realistic and scriptural way to study God's "Word of Truth". It covers the over-all need to conform to "all the counsel of God", rather than man's many ideas and innovations; and it has helped many of us seekers.

Upvote 0

Allen of the Cross

Apr 25, 2020
Kentucky
Visit site
✟26,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! God bless you! ✟✟✟ This is by no means an indictment or accusation towards any particular person, but I want to share with you an observation that I have made.

I have noticed some of my friends in the faith who lean so heavily on writings by other humans and not the scriptures that they begin to lack in scriptural knowledge. Instead of searching the scriptures diligently for the truth, they instead lean heavily on these writings. I would say also, that these writings are not necessarily heretical - in fact it might be good belief. But these particular people really suffer spiritually as they do not read the scriptures 'naked,' that is, reading the barebones text without any study aides.

Now this is more or less advice than an indictment of guilt. But I am of the belief that reading the scriptures is not just an activity that engages the brain. What I mean is, it is not merely a book of studying like any other book. Now it is good to for it to be studied with proper practice, but hear me out.

The Bible is very much alive and breathing. When one reads the bible, it is very much a spiritual experience. You are basically entering into the presence of God. Just reading the bible and meditating on it has immense spiritual benefits. The scriptures wash the mind, the bible cleanses the soul. It is very much an experience unto itself.

I think some men look at 'theology' like some other men may look at 'geology.' That is, they approach God like one studying rock formations. They can tell you very much about different rock formations and other geologic patterns.

But God is not a rock to be studied. He is the Rock on which we stand. He is not merely a subject for study and conjecture. We are His loving subjects. The New Covenant, of which we are apart of, is very much a marriage covenant to Jesus Christ.

Paul Washer had a great illustration, involving his wife. He said, his wife's doctor knows so much about his wife: her medical history, including any health issues she might have had, past surgeries, blood type, etc. But, Washer said, her doctor did not know his wife like he does. Why? Every night he has dinner with his wife. He sits and talks to her, listens to her, understands her, and loves her very dearly.

This is a great illustration. Not that I am against learning of God. On the contrary, knowledge about God is wonderful. But there is great value in focusing on growing in love of Jesus Christ more so than growing in theological knowledge.

Now I notice many put the knowledge of God above the love for God. I wish to help people avoid this, so this is not an attack on you or anything.

That said, I am not against anything you said you are planning to do. Read what you want, study and acquire knowledge of the scriptures to your hearts content. This is merely my advice: make sure you grow in genuine, humble, innocent love for the Lord Jesus Christ. This is ultimately a marriage covenant. So study what love is and practice this type of love towards the Lord Jesus Christ and towards other humans. Then you will enter into the true meat of the faith.

I love you, God bless you! :heart:

• Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed some of my friends in the faith who lean so heavily on writings by other humans and not the scriptures that they begin to lack in scriptural knowledge. Instead of searching the scriptures diligently for the truth, they instead lean heavily on these writings.

Perhaps you're already aware of the irony in what you wrote, but if not, it's worth pointing out that your OP is itself a "writing by another human," offering a perspective on Christian living, not actually Scripture itself.

The Bible is very much alive and breathing. When one reads the bible, it is very much a spiritual experience.

Um, the Bible does not live and breath. It's inanimate, made of paper, primarily, stained with ink. The truth the Bible reveals is "alive," having the power to transform lives, and eternal, expressing the mind, and heart, and will of our Creator.

You are basically entering into the presence of God. Just reading the bible and meditating on it has immense spiritual benefits. The scriptures wash the mind, the bible cleanses the soul. It is very much an experience unto itself.

Careful, brother, this comes perilously close to blasphemy. God is not the Bible; the Bible is not God. The Bible reveals God, His will, and truth, and something of His nature, but the Bible is a book, no more God than a clay pot is the potter who made it.

There is nowhere anyone can be where God is not present; He is omnipresent. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "entering into the presence of God." I can look at and contemplate a painting quite apart from being in the presence of the artist who painted it.

But God is not a rock to be studied. He is the Rock on which we stand. He is not merely a subject for study and conjecture. We are His loving subjects. The New Covenant, of which we are apart of, is very much a marriage covenant to Jesus Christ.

Amen.

This is a great illustration. Not that I am against learning of God. On the contrary, knowledge about God is wonderful. But there is great value in focusing on growing in love of Jesus Christ more so than growing in theological knowledge.

Ideally, these things grow together. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. I've known several great scholars of the Bible who enjoyed deep, daily fellowship with God.

This is merely my advice: make sure you grow in genuine, humble, innocent love for the Lord Jesus Christ. This is ultimately a marriage covenant. So study what love is and practice this type of love towards the Lord Jesus Christ and towards other humans. Then you will enter into the true meat of the faith.

There is rather more to loving God and growing in love for Him than this...

Upvote 0