Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a new Christian (year now) and in the past year, I've been strictly reading the Bible and taking notes on my own. Now that I'm reading the Old Testament, I feel like I'm struggling in some of the chapters a bit such as Exodus and Numbers - My brain can't seem to process when it talks about the tabernacle and offerings.

I'm not part of a particular denomination yet, but if this will help with some suggestions:
- I have the ESV and NKJV. I plan to get KJV as well.
- I'm currently using the NKJV for reading the Old Testament and would like to use it for re-reading the New Testament.
- I am a born again Christian.

Would highly appreciate any suggestions!

Edit: Thank you to all who have suggested thus far! I've marked books that have interested me, which are basically any books that goes more deep into studying the Bible. I'm also looking for commentary books, as I believe that will help eliminate the need for me to use my phone or computer to look at online commentary sites.

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a new Christian (year now) and in the past year, I've been strictly reading the Bible and taking notes on my own. Now that I'm reading the Old Testament, I feel like I'm struggling in some of the chapters a bit such as Exodus and Numbers - My brain can't seem to process when it talks about the tabernacle and offerings.

I'm not part of a particular denomination yet, but if this will help with some suggestions:
- I'm currently using the NKJV for reading the Old Testament and would like to use it for re-reading the New Testament.

Hi MissFaithfullyHis,

Welcome to the family of faith, Sister! It's always good to hear from those who formerly had difficulty coming to belief and have somehow found a new frame of mind in which Jesus Christ has become of central value in life. That's awesome!

So, which books? Well, that may depend upon which aspects of our faith you're interested in or feeling in need of exploration. I don't like to dictate to anyone a definitive coure of action or reading. Instead, I'm going to ask: Is there something specific you're wondering about? :cool:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Get books by Zane Hodges
Here are a few:
https://www.amazon.com/Atonement-Ot...watch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1647192679&sr=1-25

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Grace-P...watch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1647192534&sr=1-15

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Gods-P...&refinements=p_27:Zane+Hodges&s=books&sr=1-18

This book is not by Zane, but a great New Testament commentary
https://www.amazon.com/Grace-New-Te...&refinements=p_27:Zane+Hodges&s=books&sr=1-19

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi MissFaithfullyHis,

Welcome to the family of faith, Sister! It's always good to hear from those who formerly had difficulty coming to belief and have somehow found a new frame of mind in which Jesus Christ has become of central value in life. That's awesome!

So, which books? Well, that may depend upon which aspects of our faith you're interested in or feeling in need of exploration. I don't like to dictate to anyone a definitive coure of action or reading. Instead, I'm going to ask: Is there something specific you're wondering about? :cool:

Thank you for your response and welcome! As far as what I'm wondering about: Many things haha. But I guess I get lost sometimes when I read the Bible and I'm constantly asking, "What is this? What is that? What does that mean? Why that?"

If an example helps: When I read about the way the tabernacle was built in Exodus, my mind completely flipped and I had a hard time concentrating. From the measurements used, to trying to imagine what it looked like.

I know there's online commentary tools available, but it's hard for me to digest things if I were to use digital tools. I prefer something I can read side by side (actual physical book or references), which helps my memory and understanding better.

Unfortunately, I don't have a bible study group or anyone to study the bible with...yet :( I figured I could utilize books until I find a group.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your response and welcome! As far as what I'm wondering about: Many things haha. But I guess I get lost sometimes when I read the Bible and I'm constantly asking, "What is this? What is that? What does that mean? Why that?"

If an example helps: When I read about the way the tabernacle was built in Exodus, my mind completely flipped and I had a hard time concentrating. From the measurements used, to trying to imagine what it looked like.

I know there's online commentary tools available, but it's hard for me to digest things if I were to use digital tools. I prefer something I can read side by side (actual physical book or references), which helps my memory and understanding better.

Unfortunately, I don't have a bible study group or anyone to study the bible with...yet :( I figured I could utilize books until I find a group.

If you want to know about the Tabernacle go here
Project314 - Tabernacle Research & Restoration

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There are wonderful free online courses at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology:
Bible Studies – St. Paul Center

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ok. I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, other than the very brief studies I had at bible college long ago, I've never really gotten into any extenisve, intensive studies of the Tabernacle itself, and I don't have any books specific to that topic that I can recommend. So, I'll just allow others here to make recommendations for that. Also, since the Tabernacle is so specific, I think you can just google some books options that will take you to Amazon or other book selling websites where you can make one of a dozen choices for that topic.

books on the tabernacle

Kind Regards,

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,927.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Edit: Thank you to all who have suggested thus far! I've marked books that have interested me, which are basically any books that goes more deep into studying the Bible. I'm also looking for commentary books, as I believe that will help eliminate the need for me to use my phone or computer to look at online commentary sites.

There are various bible commentaries to all verses in the Bible on biblehub.com, so you can read and study what others said about the topic.
Genesis 1:1 Commentaries: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

But be careful not to dig too deeply into obsolete issues and topics, Christianity is more simple and have different priorities than judaism - Old Testament.
One can get lost in neverending symbolic details of the past (the Old Covenant) and forget what is important in our daily life today (New Covenant).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a Bible study with 2 friends, different christian faith groups, and I have been benefiting from the new catholic commentary Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture

I heard they are planning on doing commentary on the OT, sorry that at the moment there is not such a volume.

The quality of the comments does depend a bit on who is the author of the specifik commentary, but they have done some standardisation to make it useful for a wide audience.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I recommend that you use a different translation, one in the language that you read, write, and speak every day. One of the best is the NIV, which is published in a number of study Bibles. My personal preference is the NET, which has more than 60,000 notes that accompany the Biblical text.

Upvote 0

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are various bible commentaries to all verses in the Bible on biblehub.com, so you can read and study what others said about the topic.
Genesis 1:1 Commentaries: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

But be careful not to dig too deeply into obsolete issues and topics, Christianity is more simple and have different priorities than judaism - Old Testament.
One can get lost in neverending symbolic details of the past (the Old Covenant) and forget what is important in our daily life today (New Covenant).

Thank you! Do you have recommendations for a physical commentary book? I've used Biblehub before, but since I'm fairly new, I felt overwhelmed looking at that site and didn't know where to begin.

Thank you for the advice; I definitely do not want to deter away from the new covenant. I just hear and read about prophecies from old testament being fulfilled by Jesus in the new, but since I haven't read the old fully yet (I'm only on Numbers), I wanted to see what was being referenced from old testament to the new testament.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I just hear and read about prophecies from old testament being fulfilled by Jesus in the new, but since I haven't read the old fully yet (I'm only on Numbers), I wanted to see what was being referenced from old testament to the new testament.
For this, I would recommend a study of the "book of acts" with an eye on which OT scriptures are referenced. If we accept the premise that Luke and Acts are written "in one sitting", then the teaser is Luke 24:27, and then it starts at Acts 2, more or less all preaching found in Acts lays out the fulfilment of prophecy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are wanting to get a KJV anyway I think a study bible might help. I find the Holman Study Bible helpful.

Thank you! I've looked it up via Google and I can tell right off the bat that will help me understand things betterz especially with all of the comments in the book!

Reactions: Deano715
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,927.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! Do you have recommendations for a physical commentary book?
Sadly, no. I have been using internet as a main source for a long time now.

I've used Biblehub before, but since I'm fairly new, I felt overwhelmed looking at that site and didn't know where to begin.
Yeah, its a complex website. But for now, you can just browse the section "comment". You insert verse you are interested in into the search field, search for it and then switch to tab "comment".

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! Do you have recommendations for a physical commentary book? I've used Biblehub before, but since I'm fairly new, I felt overwhelmed looking at that site and didn't know where to begin.

Thank you for the advice; I definitely do not want to deter away from the new covenant. I just hear and read about prophecies from old testament being fulfilled by Jesus in the new, but since I haven't read the old fully yet (I'm only on Numbers), I wanted to see what was being referenced from old testament to the new testament.

Arnold Fruchtenbaum

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Genesis-Dr-Arnold-Fruchtenbaum/dp/1935174002

Upvote 0

Deano715

Mar 5, 2012
Iowa
✟8,683.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you! I've looked it up via Google and I can tell right off the bat that will help me understand things betterz especially with all of the comments in the book!
I like it. Centerline references and yes some commentary as well. I have the giant print for my old eyes.

Upvote 0

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0