Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I just asked in the ladies area if we have any fellow or former Girl Scouts here since I am a former Girl Scout myself,.. but I wanted to create this thread on here to give the boys a chance to see if there is any Boy Scouts or former Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts on here as well. :D I definitely remember and miss my days of being a Girl Scout and all of those camping trips and couch potato camping trips. Those were the days. We even went to Disney World one year. :)

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I was a Boy Scout, old school. Our Scout Master was born in the 1800's. We would hike up the mountain carrying everything we needed for the week, including heavy old WWII surplus canvas army tents, in two feet of snow. We would get there shortly before dark; and we would have to quickly dig out a spot in the snow to pitch our tents; and dig in the snow for wood to get a fire started. We were given one match; so we had to make it count. We weren't allowed to use any fire starters (no paper, chemicals, or anything of the sort). We had to use what we found in nature. I learned some excellent survival skills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just asked in the ladies area if we have any fellow or former Girl Scouts here since I am a former Girl Scout myself,.. but I wanted to create this thread on here to give the boys a chance to see if there is any Boy Scouts or former Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts on here as well. :D I definitely remember and miss my days of being a Girl Scout and all of those camping trips and couch potato camping trips. Those were the days. We even went to Disney World one year. :)
I was a boy scout. Did summer and winter camping in the snow. Learned useless things like morse code and lashing. I remember cooking on an open fire, my clothes stinking with wood smoke and scrubbing blacked pots with steel wool.

Now I am 61. I live in a stick built home. Even if I buy land, they will not let me live in a tent due to zoning laws and building codes.

• Haha
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I was Boy Scout, old school. Our Scout Master was born in the 1800's. We would hike up the mountain carrying everything we needed for the week, including heavy old WWII surplus canvas army tents, in two feet of snow. We would get there shortly before dark; and we would have to quickly dig out a spot in the snow to pitch our tents; and dig in the snow for wood to get a fire started. We were given one match; so we had to make it count. We weren't allowed to use any fire starters (no paper, chemicals, or anything of the sort). We had to use what we found in nature. I learned some excellent survival skills.

Hey that reminds me of an old riddle. (If you already know the answer please let somebody else guess.) You are standing in a dark room. You have a match in your hand. There is a torch, fireplace, and a lantern in the room with you. What do you light first?

Now I am 61. I live in a stick built home. Even if I buy land, they will not let me live in a tent due to zoning laws and building codes.

Aww,.. sorry to hear that. :(

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hey that reminds me of an old riddle. (If you already know the answer please let somebody else guess.) You are standing in a dark room. You have a match in your hand. There is a torch, fireplace, and a lantern in the room with you. What do you light first?

I haven't heard this one before; but I know the answer.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Yep!! Good for you, you got it!! :oldthumbsup: Also, it's important to note here that this thread is talking about back in the time period when boys were Boy Scouts and girls were Girl Scouts. Back when gender equality wasn't pushed as hard as it is today. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Was a Queen's Scout, offshoot Eagle scout equivalent I guess as our Jamboree buddies to the south couldn't follow the Queen. I know Baden Powell had it in mind we should all be good little athletic soldiers keeping the colonies in line, but thanks to no politics here but a mad passion for well polished shoes, we didn't turn into the German version called Hitler Youth or what we are seeing on the streets today in youth movements. God was prevalent in the Scouts but not so in today's movements. I still remember semaphore but few of my compatriots can see well enough to make it feasible any more. Stand on a roof and wave your arms today and people look at you funny. I suppose in the US it might even get you killed. I am still also quite proficient at burning dough wrapped on a stick and scorching the outside of a chicken over the fire then eating raw meat. A scout may have invented the microwave as a result. Often wondered why we weren't allowed a badge for making homemade wine although I believe there was one for what was later called hypothermia. We just thought we were shivering. It is funny how for a lot of scouts the two and three finger salute turned into one finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a scout but never made it beyond second class. :( However, I was my patrol leader, the Bat Patrol! I remember we once went to a jamboree and tried to trick the leaders that our casting of our two fingers was really a deer track...we were an enthusiastic but not too bright patrol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I was a scout but never made it beyond second class. :( However, I was my patrol leader, the Bat Patrol! I remember we once went to a jamboree and tried to trick the leaders that our casting of our two fingers was really a deer track...we were an enthusiastic but not too bright patrol.

Yeah,.. I'm afraid that being a girl I don't know too much about Boy Scouts.

Upvote 0