Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I seem to have lots of anxiety associated with depression, and I've found various supplements that give almost instance relief for a few hours. The effect is so dramatic, that I worry about becoming addicted to some of these supplements. So I was wondering if anybody has information or opinions on that.

What I'm using is
CBD oil
l-theanine
pharm GABA
l-tyrosine
ashwagandha
taurine
licorice root extract

The ones that concern me the most are CBD oil, l-theanine, pharm GABA, and ashwagandha. These are the supplements with the most dramatic effect on my mood. I don't take them all at the same time, and I don't take any of them unless I feel the anxiety or depression. But that seems to be at least once a day or more.

What defines an unhealthy addiction as opposed to a biological need?

Last edited:

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I seem to have lots of anxiety associated with depression, and I've found various supplements that give almost instance relief for a few hours. The effect is so dramatic, that I worry about becoming addicted to some of these supplements. So I was wondering if anybody has information or opinions on that.

What I'm using is
CBD oil
l-theanine
pharm GABA
l-tyrosine
ashwagandha
taurine
licorice root extract

The ones that concern me the most are CBD oil, l-theanine, pharm GABA, and ashwagandha. These are the supplements with the most dramatic effect on my mood. I don't take them all at the same time, and I don't take any of them unless I feel the anxiety or depression. But that seems to be at least once a day or more.

I Personally have or are taking CBD oil, tyrosine, ashwagandha and have no dependence though I am not prone to addictive behavior. None of the ones I mentioned have been known to be addictive. That being said, if you are deficient or your body needs the supplement it might "feel" like an addiction. For example, I was in such a desperate need for Phosphatidylserine that when I first started taking it I was afraid I was addicted but once my body adjusted it became apparent that I was not addicted.

You talked about it helping with mood...do you use any essential oils? Our son has great success with a combination of chamomile and bergamot....it's aroma therapy that works well for him. There are other oils that are suppose to help with mood. I have a friend that gets a lot of relief through another one but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Oh...also I believe that I-theanine, GABA, taurine are amino acids aren't they? Amino acids are not addictive.

Licorice is effective but can cause high blood pressure so keep a watch on that if you aren't already

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You talked about it helping with mood...do you use any essential oils? Our son has great success with a combination of chamomile and bergamot....it's aroma therapy that works well for him. There are other oils that are suppose to help with mood. I have a friend that gets a lot of relief through another one but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.
That's an interesting suggestion. When I watch movies I often smell things in the scene such as wine, pipe smoke, eggs cooking, etc. I need to read more about aromatherapy.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ever heard of SAMe? It apparently has good results for depression.
I tried that once or twice several years ago, but it seemed to make me edgy as if I had too much coffee. I haven't tried it more recently. I suspect that different people have imbalances in different neurotransmitters, but all these people are diagnosed as depressed. One person might need SAMe and another person might need GABA (I think that's my low chemical).

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What I'm using is
CBD oil
l-theanine
pharm GABA
l-tyrosine
ashwagandha
taurine
licorice root extract

I can't comment on whether there is any reliable evidence these supplements actually work. I also doubt they create physical dependence, but we can become psychologically dependent, on all sorts of things, including supplements.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I can't comment on whether there is any reliable evidence these supplements actually work. I also doubt they create physical dependence, but we can become psychologically dependent, on all sorts of things, including supplements.
They definitely help me.

The question in my mind is whether I'm making my problem worse in the long run by using supplements. Yes, they make me better able to function, but will they become a need instead of a boost. That's what worries me.

I have an addictive personality.

Upvote 0