Any retrogamers here?

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a big gamer, but what I do like tends to be old. I like old games because they are usually simpler and more immediate, whereas newer stuff seems to me to generally be going for an epic hollywood feel and you have to go through tutorials and drawn out introductions and slowly unfolding stories... for example I'd rather play something as old as Wolfenstein 3D than the new Bioshock. I did enjoy the recent Deus Ex game though.

In my opinion, the SNES is still the greatest console ever made and if you could only ever have one machine that would still be the one to beat.

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
In terms of gameplay, yes, but some of the older control systems on PC are like pulling teeth from an angry shark.

I'm replaying System Shock right now, and I'm very glad to have found a version that patches in mouselook.

I've just downloaded The Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall, and I hope to goodness a similar patch exists for them -_-

Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm replaying System Shock right now, and I'm very glad to have found a version that patches in mouselook.

System Shock portable, right?

I've loved that game ever since I played a demo waaaay back in 1994. I built a PC especially for it and older DOS games a few years back, gave it away, wish I hadn't. Was going to be the first game I ever bought (apart from shareware compilations that used to come on CD back then, pre-Internet) but I passed on it for another game called Little Big Adventure, which was also excellent.

I actually prefer the default setup in that game over the mouselook.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
System Shock portable, right?

Yup.

I've loved that game ever since I played a demo waaaay back in 1994. I built a PC especially for it and older DOS games a few years back, gave it away, wish I hadn't. Was going to be the first game I ever bought (apart from shareware compilations that used to come on CD back then, pre-Internet) but I passed on it for another game called Little Big Adventure, which was also excellent.

I actually prefer the default setup in that game over the mouselook.

Let it be noted I did struggle through my first playthrough of SS with the conventional controls. The true horror in that game isn't SHODAN.

I beat Half-Life 2 Ep 2 with a trackpad, I'll have you know (whippersnappers today etc)

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like a mix of old and new. I think they all have their benefits and drawbacks. Newer gaming does have that epic feel and is much better/more advanced in the story telling department which I like, especially in RPGs. I still play SNES games though. Games like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are timeless, but as time goes on, other games start feeling dated and like there could be so much more to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

ReAnn89

I've recently been playing castlevania 3 on the original NES.

That's the only old school one I haven't played (on Nintendo systems at least). How is the difficulty compared with the first 2 and super castlevania?

I've been playing my snes a lot lately. I played a bit of The Jungle book (is it possible to beat kaa?) and Donkey Kong Country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums