Any prophecies out there we can actually believe?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Are there any prophecies out there we can actually believe? I am wondering about the times and the seasons and it is like we are not hearing much from God. Plenty of speculation out there, but nothing I can believe as of God.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

Presumptuously, Zadown in the Hebrew; interpreted - pride, insolence, presumptuousness, arrogance

There are a lot of people prophecying things of the future, including the Lord's coming, but they are doing it from the spirit of their own ego, and God is not in the word they teach.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Are there any prophecies out there we can actually believe? I am wondering about the times and the seasons and it is like we are not hearing much from God. Plenty of speculation out there, but nothing I can believe as of God.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

Presumptuously, Zadown in the Hebrew; interpreted - pride, insolence, presumptuousness, arrogance

There are a lot of people prophecying things of the future, including the Lord's coming, but they are doing it from the spirit of their own ego, and God is not in the word they teach.
I agree. There is confusion between the role of Old and New Testament prophecy. Old Testament prophecy was directed at the Nation of Israel and the prophets heard directly from God and there was no mistake about it. The false prophets were those who prophesied that everything was okay while Israel followed after other gods, when God was bringing judgment on the land because of its idolatory. We see the difference between true and false prophecy when the 400 prophets of Baal told Ahab that he will win the battle, when the true prophet of God said that because of his disobedience to God he was going to lose his life.

New Testament prophecy is quite different. The only real description of it is in 1 Corinthians 14 where Paul said that prophecy was for encouragement, building up, exhortation and comfort for the people of God. There was one predictive prophesy recorded in Acts where Agabus said that there was going to be a famine throughout the Roman provinces which actually came to pass. This prompted the Gentile churches to take up a love offering for the Christians in Jerusalem which must have been affected by the famine. Agabus also predicted that Paul was going to be imprisoned if he went to Jerusalem, forewarning Paul; nevertheless, Paul felt in the Spirit that he needed to go there, and the rest is history.

One good prophetic minister said that good prophecy tells what God is intending to do and not Satan, therefore from that I believe that most prophecies concerning disasters and doom are false and from the prophet's own mind, because they say more about what Satan is wanting to do, and not God.

One pastor, after being prophesied over by a group of self-appointed prophets, started to suffer serious back pain which was not helped even after two surgeries. He got a word of knowledge from the Lord that it was a divination attack. He said that he had never been involved in the occult, and the Lord drew his attentions to the prophecies, which were predicting fame and riches for him. The Lord showed him that these prophecies came from their own minds and opened him up to a divination attack. When he renounced those prophecies, the pain went and his back was healed. This is an object warning to us to be very careful about what prophecies we receive and to test the spirit behind them very thoroughly.

My attitude toward predictive prophecies and ones from people I don't know is to hold it at length with a long barge pole and be ready to run away if it looks like biting me in the posterior.

I think that we should treat all predictive and guidance prophecies with skeptism unless God tells us clearly and definitely that the prophecy is from Him. In actual fact, prophecy is one of the least reliable indicators concerning guidance and what is to happen in the future.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,812.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 5:5 You, my friends are not in the dark...
Paul was telling the Thessalonians [and us] that we, who believe in God, follow Jesus and study His Word, should be aware of end time events. He goes on to say in verse 6 & 7: You are all children of the Light, you do not belong to darkness and we must not sleep like other people, but keep awake and sober.

The attitude of - what will be will be, or I just leave my future in God's hands is hardly good enough. Many Bible verses say that it is possible to be informed about the future and those who are taken unawares of coming events, could be disadvantaged.

My belief is that we are, as at 2017, very close to the point where God will allow the commencement of the events leading to the end of this age. This will start with an attack on the Jewish State of Israel by a confederation of Islamic nations and entities. Prophecy clearly tells of the outcome of this attack, God will intervene and devastate much of the Middle East, including Israel. A remnant will survive in Jerusalem. Soon after this, the Land of Greater Israel will be regenerated and the Lord's faithful Christians, from every race, nation and language, will gather and settle there. Problems around the world of food, fuel and the economic situation will lead to the formation of a One World government, led eventually by a powerful and charismatic man. Despite making a peace treaty with New Israel, he will attack and conquer them. This starts the Great Tribulation, as described in the book of Revelation. After 3½ years, the Lord Jesus will Return and commence His Millennial reign.
I can provide scriptural support for all of the above events.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 5:5 You, my friends are not in the dark...
Paul was telling the Thessalonians [and us] that we, who believe in God, follow Jesus and study His Word, should be aware of end time events. He goes on to say in verse 6 & 7: You are all children of the Light, you do not belong to darkness and we must not sleep like other people, but keep awake and sober.

The attitude of - what will be will be, or I just leave my future in God's hands is hardly good enough. Many Bible verses say that it is possible to be informed about the future and those who are taken unawares of coming events, could be disadvantaged.

My belief is that we are, as at 2017, very close to the point where God will allow the commencement of the events leading to the end of this age. This will start with an attack on the Jewish State of Israel by a confederation of Islamic nations and entities. Prophecy clearly tells of the outcome of this attack, God will intervene and devastate much of the Middle East, including Israel. A remnant will survive in Jerusalem. Soon after this, the Land of Greater Israel will be regenerated and the Lord's faithful Christians, from every race, nation and language, will gather and settle there. Problems around the world of food, fuel and the economic situation will lead to the formation of a One World government, led eventually by a powerful and charismatic man. Despite making a peace treaty with New Israel, he will attack and conquer them. This starts the Great Tribulation, as described in the book of Revelation. After 3½ years, the Lord Jesus will Return and commence His Millennial reign.
I can provide scriptural support for all of the above events.
Every generation, including 2nd Century believers, interpreted Revelation according to events in their own time, so I take this interpretation with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1 Thessalonians 5:5 You, my friends are not in the dark....

You have quoted this scripture out of context...

1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. - 1 Thessalonians 5

"But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief." In other words, they are living in correctness before the Lord Jesus Christ. So if that day would have occurred in their lifetime they would not have anything to worry about. It has nothing to do with them knowing the timing of everything, especially as the Book of Revelation had yet to be written in their lifetimes.

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. - Matthew 24:44
Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. - Luke 12:40

IF this was post trib then we would know the hour when the Lord comes, and it would not be as a thief in the night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

There is if you know where to look.

Ezekiel 12:22 "Son of man, what is this proverb you have in the land of Israel: 'The days go by and every vision comes to nothing'?
Ezekiel 12:23 Say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am going to put an end to this proverb, and they will no longer quote it in Israel.' Say to them, 'The days are near when every vision will be fulfilled.
Ezekiel 12:24 For there will be no more false visions or flattering divinations among the people of Israel.

Pay attention to the prophets of old.
God sent them quite early.

Jeremiah 25:4 And though the LORD has sent all his servants the prophets to you again and again, you have not listened or paid any attention.

Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any prophecies out there we can actually believe?

Jesus was the fulfillment of every prophecy in the first and the second testament as are we ...

Our Father having declared the end from the beginning has given us all an expected end which be a new beginning ... for to return one must have first come out and to come out one must enter in ... which from where GOD sees are one and the very same ....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Presumptuously... Out of their own ego! There are many out there who put their whole lives studying these things and drawing conclusions. And they will get angry at you for disagreeing with them! If I had to pick an end time date I would go with the scientist, Isaac Newton...

“And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half.” –Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060.”" - – Isaac Newton

As Charlemagne was crowned king on December 25, 800 by Pope Leo the III so the day of Christ's coming will be on Christmas Day, 2060. If the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) occurs seven years before the time of Christ’s coming the date of the rapture 12.25 2053. However… Isaac Newton notes…

“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –- Isaac Newton

After predicting his estimation for the end of time, Isaac Newton then humble says, "Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast."

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When we had a plating department in our facility I worked under a chemist. This chemist was very smart and very good at math. When he laid out equations he did so in very neat handwriting and there would be much activity as he turned the results of an analysis into an addition. I would take his calculations and put them in the form of visual basic functions and sub procedures.

Of all the years I worked with this man I had one opportunity to witness to him. I made my presentation while he was analyzing adhesion under a microscope in which you could hear the sounds... Scratch, scratch, scratch! Scratch scratch, scratch! After my presentation he just continued to look under the microscope as if ignored everything I said so I just continued in my work. Then... The scratch scratch, scratching stopped! And he speaks!

"You know what I think it is?" He says while continuing to look under the microscope... "I think it is arrogance!"

And then, without taking his eyes off the microscope, he continues his work... Scratch, scratch, scratch! Scratch scratch, scratch! I did not reply but went about my work.

I think most of the prophecies these days come out of the old spirit of ego.

Upvote 0