Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a Lutheran church down the road a little ways has Saturday services but mine doesn’t.
I meant that if her husband wishes to remain in good standing in the Catholic Church he needs to attend a Catholic Mass on Saturday night or Sunday in order to fulfill the Sunday Obligation as a Lutheran service does not fulfill it in the eyes of the RCC.
No offense Steve. Just a reminder that this is the Lutheran Forum.
Fair enough, but I think my post was in line with "fellowship" as it is not arguing against anything Lutheran. FWIW, I wear the "Christian" label, my views mostly align with Lutheran beliefs and I attend and am a member at a church that is in communion with ELCA Lutherans. But thanks for the reminder, I will do my best to make sure my posts are in fellowship.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟564,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Can you explain this further for me? I'm not necessarily familiar with the terms.
Mark explained a common use of the term "evangelical Catholic." I would only add, it tends to be used by people with an ethos of borrowing as much as possible from Roman Catholicism. This manifests in liturgical sensibilities (how a worship service looks and sometimes sounds) more than theological views.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,061.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mark explained a common use of the term "evangelical Catholic." I would only add, it tends to be used by people with an ethos of borrowing as much as possible from Roman Catholicism. This manifests in liturgical sensibilities (how a worship service looks and sometimes sounds) more than theological views.
While some may be misusing it that way, it has more to do with the concept of Sola Scriptura: Evangelical refers to the church being committed to the Christian gospel message that Jesus Christ is the savior of humanity; catholic bears the same meaning as it does in the three Ecumenical Creeds; universal or all encompassing. Some, including ourselves, might use the term "High Mass Lutherans"; this is not correct in that the most elaborate Lutheran Divine Service, resplendent with vestments, bells and smells is no higher in the sight of God than the simplest spoken service at the bedside of a shut-in. In our Parish there are a few who don't like ceremony as much as others, and they use the term "high church stuff" in a derogatory way. They stick around though because of the two nearest Parishes, one is consistently more "high church" than we are, the other has for the most part departed from the Liturgy with services akin to an evangelical hootenanny hoe-down. Attendance is low there, but there are wealthy benefactors that keep paying for it's upkeep so they have a mortuary chapel for their funerals (the next time they come through the doors); many of their members worship with us from time to time.

So, Evangelical Catholic is a good descriptor for all Lutherans, if the ones using and hearing do so with the historic definition of the words in mind; otherwise, misunderstandings occur.

• Informative
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only potential problem is that the Lutheran Divine service does not fulfill the Sunday obligation for Catholics....so, if he wishes to remain in good graces he would still need to attend Saturday evening or another time on Sunday.

Yeah, we know, but neither of us are "that" Catholic. I'll leave it at that :)

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been on this site in a couple of months, but was pleased to find this thread. I've been conflicted for some time about staying Lutheran or crossing the Tiber. This thread made me feel at ease somewhat about staying Lutheran.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m a former Catholic. Welcome!
Now, once again, I think I might be returning to Catholicism….but a different church about 2 1/2 miles away instead of the one across from my subdivision. It’s such a big Catholic area here that we have three Catholic Churches in my suburb.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
1677682458005.png

A reminder to our Catholic friends; the SOP >>

it is not OK to promote or debate against the doctrines and theology of a forum of which you are not members.

Mod hat off

Upvote 0

VincentIII

Jul 14, 2020
PA
✟25,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now, once again, I think I might be returning to Catholicism….but a different church about 2 1/2 miles away instead of the one across from my subdivision. It’s such a big Catholic area here that we have three Catholic Churches in my suburb.
What calls you back to Catholicism? In what way does attending Mass at a different parish address the issues that pushed you away from Catholicism? I ask as a former Roman Catholic who is discerning another denomination. I'm interested in other people's conversion experiences out of the RCC.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What calls you back to Catholicism? In what way does attending Mass at a different parish address the issues that pushed you away from Catholicism? I ask as a former Roman Catholic who is discerning another denomination. I'm interested in other people's conversion experiences out of the RCC.
Long story. But I’ve changed my mind again and am remaining Lutheran. I go to a contemporary LCMS church and have been to Mass three times since Ash Wednesday and I can’t sit through an entire Mass without wishing I was somewhere else.
The only thing I enjoy about a Catholic Mass is Communion. The rest….the liturgy, the singing, the music. It’s just not for me. Now watch me change my mind again in the future.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟401,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At times I miss the Catholic people I used to see, and am drawn back. But one major thing to keep one from wavering back is this - is the Papacy of divine origin, and possess the Infallibility they claim? A reasonable study proved to me a 100% no.

I listened to a recent debate between Gavin Ortlund and Trent Horn, and the issue came up. The question was asked of the Catholic side, how many infallible statements have popes made? An honest response was given - we don't know, nobody can agree on a list. So the pope is infallible, they just can't tell when.

Yet you must believe in the Immaculate Conception and Assumption of Mary teachings, as they are Infallible teachings, and to defy one puts you outside the Ark of salvation. Once you settle on something like this, I could not go back. It does not mean I know exactly where I'll end up, but I am one step closer, and no longer waffle back that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At times I miss the Catholic people I used to see, and am drawn back. But one major thing to keep one from wavering back is this - is the Papacy of divine origin, and possess the Infallibility they claim? A reasonable study proved to me a 100% no.

I listened to a recent debate between Gavin Ortlund and Trent Horn, and the issue came up. The question was asked of the Catholic side, how many infallible statements have popes made? An honest response was given - we don't know, nobody can agree on a list. So the pope is infallible, they just can't tell when.

Yet you must believe in the Immaculate Conception and Assumption of Mary teachings, as they are Infallible teachings, and to defy one puts you outside the Ark of salvation. Once you settle on something like this, I could not go back. It does not mean I know exactly where I'll end up, but I am one step closer, and no longer waffle back that way.
I once heard that it was only twice that a pope spoke infallibly. I think it was the two times you’d mentioned.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the music was better at the other church. It’s not. Also, I prefer the LCMS church I attend. Lots of lively, sometimes contemporary Christian music, other times hymns or original songs but all still done with a contemporary sound by a praise band.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,061.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I thought the music was better at the other church. It’s not. Also, I prefer the LCMS church I attend. Lots of lively, sometimes contemporary Christian music, other times hymns or original songs but all still done with a contemporary sound by a praise band.
That alone would push me out the door.

This is my LCC Parish, and this is more like it:
1678962309027.png

• Friendly
Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟48,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a current Catholic, but I also attend LCMS services in my small town. I was having lots of difficulties attending Mass in the past year or so, due to health problems and work conflicts. There is only one weekend Mass in my town. The LCMS church used to only have one service Sunday morning, which I could never make, but now they also have a later service. I felt God repeatedly pushing me to start attending that service, in addition to going to Mass. So at the moment, I attend both when I can, or whichever one I'm able to when life happens.

In all honesty, I also came to the uncomfortable realization that, as a convert, I still haven't fully accepted some things about the RCC that I thought I eventually would with time, like universal jurisdiction of the papacy, or the ethics of binding doctrine on the faithful that comes from possibly fallible sources, among other things. I'm not saying I actively disbelieve these things, but the doubts have never gone away. I have also come to understand that Sola Scriptura is not as simple or limiting as RCIA presented it. And, of course, things like the scandals and Pachamama statues only erode trust.

So I am reading, praying, and trying to work through some of these things. I brought them up to my amazing, wonderful priest, and I continue to pray about it, per his advice. The realization has caused me to feel melancholy the past few months, a bit lost, feeling like I am the dreaded Cafeteria Catholic, or the Protestant hiding in the Church. Although, after reading through my RCC parish's recent synodal laity survey results, there is a great lack of unity with many issues, so I am far from the only one. I wouldn't say that my current understanding completely lines up with confessional Lutheranism, although I certainly lean that direction. And I must say, it is truly refreshing to my soul to listen to Christ's forgiveness being preached so often. I didn't realize how much I need that.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After nearly 20 years, I'm discerning that Christ is calling me out of the Catholic Church. The last 5+ years have left me feeling empty, unable to fulfill the "requirements" to be a Good Christian, and ignored - as a wife in a wonderful marriage, but no children (I've talked to priests about ministries for married folk, who God hasn't blessed with children and no one seems to be aware of a ministry for us). I'm tired of trying to bring myself to heaven by checking off all the requirements - a lot of that probably something I've put on myself and I'm listening to the wrong type of priests that teach we need to do X,Y,Z to get to heaven. I'm finding out that what I've believed for this whole time/a long time actually goes against Catholic beliefs (specifically I'm a believer in consubstantiation instead of transubstantiation, I just didn't know that was a thing). I'm tired of denying Christians a holy marriage and the chance for a family. I'm excited about the prospect of deaconesses in the church, while I still hold to roles between men and women in the church. I'm excited about Christ coming down to us to help us better understand our sinner and saint lives. I'm tired of hearing priests tell me if I do X, I will most certainly end up in heaven, but my faith tells me that isn't what Christ wants for me.

This discernment has led me to the Lutheran Church, which I've been dipping my toes in a bit - watching services (liturgy? not sure about the terminology yet) online, reading (I finished "Why I'm a Lutheran: Jesus at the Center" and I'm starting "The Spirituality of the Cross". I'm still not certain about giving up the rosary, as I love my Spiritual Mother, but I know those actions aren't going to add to my salvation. But I am excited about staying focused on Christ instead of "what saint are we celebrating today" - once again, that isn't fair towards the Catholic Church, just where I am at this point. Yesterday I ordered Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions-A Reader's Edition of the Book of Concord - 2nd edition and the Lutheran Bible Companion Set to continue my studies and understandings. I feel like I need a better understanding of what was happening during the Reformation and how this faith grew out from the Catholic Church.

My Facebook conversations have led me to see that there are a lot of previous Catholics who have joined the Lutheran Church, so I wanted to see if this community is similar. I know I still have to actually GO to a Lutheran church and talk to a pastor, but I want to make sure I know why I'm doing this with Christ, hence, I'm continuing to discern (and I'll admit it is also due to social anxiety of meeting new people in an environment I know so little about). I would love to know more about how your discernment period looked like, what steps did you go through, and any resources you might recommend for a lady looking for where God is calling her.
I used to be Catholic and occasionally miss it and go to Mass. But every time I go to Mass I’m bored, the music and singing all the responses really annoy me and its so repetitive.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...feeling like I am the dreaded Cafeteria Catholic, or the Protestant hiding in the Church.

My MIL and I saw each other this past weekend and she asked how my faith search has been going. I was honest and while I thought I would make more "progress" during the season of Lent to get settled into a new church, the last almost 40 days haven't turned out that way. I have confessed to my husband that I risk damning myself to hell if I turn my back on the Catholic Church - even though I don't honestly believe that at all. My walk with Christ feels closer - as I've been reading more Lutheran (or even Protestant Bible studies), but I know I need to go either back to my Catholic parish or stumble/bumble my way through finding a Lutheran church/parish/place of worship. The new-ness of going to a Lutheran church overwhelms me where I I know I would be at home in a Catholic Church - knowing exactly what to say, how to move, what comes next.

Getting back to my point of this post though, I'm feeling the same way: my MIL told me if I like the Catholic way of worshipping, then stay and I don't have to tell anybody what my beliefs are. I grew up Orthodox and really enjoy worshipping in a church that is fully "decked out" - candles, incense, stained glass, chanting, saints. I really love my rosary prayer and the Divine Mercy chaplet. I must have the Eucharist. BUT... I'm done trying to earn my salvation when Christ has already justified me perfectly (nothing against good works, but that doesn't earn me anything). As with other parts of my life, I'm simplifying my life and enjoy the focus on the Scriptures. Fasting has honestly done nothing for me spiritually. Fasting from being unkind to others, saving my money to give away, etc, has brought me closer to Christ. My heart and mind are in a different place right now... well for awhile now. Sitting in a Catholic pew with that in my heart feels wrong too. Knowing what "true" Catholics (those who take it over the top) think of me makes me want to stay away since I'm not Catholic enough... but there is truth in that too.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟401,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can relate. I have been away from the Catholic Church for a year and not found a new church home yet. But my conscience is much more clear than when I attended Mass.

The truth is, I never accepted things like Papal Infallibility, Indulgences, Holy Days of Obligation, praying to Mary.....the list is long. The sheer volume of stuff they say is mandatory for salvation, yet is no place in scripture or the first 500 years of Christianity is mind blowing. I also reject Transubstantiation, as did Pope Gelasius in the 400's it seems (they'll never tell you this). The real presence, I'm still working on to be honest.

So far I have been to a couple Baptist churches, one non-denom, but not the Lutheran. But from what I read I like Lutheran thought the best - it lines up best with Scripture and reason.

Once you take the red pill - I don't know how you go back to Catholicism, unless you are a cafeteria Catholic - which I think is the only way to be once you see truth, yet you would be most rejected by the true, Trad Catholics.

Upvote 0