• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any new moms with OCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a new mom.... I'm a old mom, but when I was a new mom my OCD tortured me. What was really rotten about it was that I didn't know what OCD was or what a Panic attack was and I lived for well over a year in constant pain before I learned about these disorders... too afraid to tell anyone for fear they would get the net and lock me up.
MY OCD told me that I would go crazy and do something to harm my baby. Miserable thing to live with .. but like all OCD thoughts even though it made me feel sick it was nothing more than a thought. I raised three children and never once did I harm them. Whatever is dearest to you is where OCD likes to plant it's ugly feet because it can't upset you in any other way.
Hope this helps you to know that if you are having intrusive thoughts that it is just OCD.
Warmest Regards!

Upvote 0

stacii

Jan 14, 2007
✟7,909.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This was a good question and a good response as I am considering motherhood and am nervous about my OCD. I do have the advantage of knowing what OCD is before having children, but honestly, when I'm having an intrusive thought, knowing that I have OCD doesn't help me rationalize the fear. My doctor suggested counseling after giving birth to help combat any feelings of stress or fear that I might have. Stress really makes me spike...and what is more stressful than having a baby!?

Upvote 0

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stacii,

Having my daughter is the most wonderful experience. When I was in labor and giving birth, I don't remember hardly any OCD episodes... just one thinking the birthing ball might be contaminated. For me OCD was always about some sort of harm coming to a loved one because I didn't do the laundry right by putting their shirt on a certain hanger and it took more than 15 minutes sometimes to figure out which hanger that was. I know... nonsense. Then sometimes counting because I couldn't decide if my number should be 2 or 3 or 5. It seems ridiculous writing this out. So frustrating. Now I worry like Gracealone did, that I might go crazy and... I can't even write it. And I am the most careful Mother so the intrusive thoughts make absolutely no sense. I spent a whole day once in the nursery because I didn't want to take her into another room. I pray all the time for this OCD to be taken away. But, you know, through it all I am so glad I gave birth to my daughter (best experience of my life even though I worried through my whole pregnancy) and so thankful she is in my life. So, I hope if you want to be a Mommy that you become one. Don't let this OCD thing stop you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.