TruthTraveler

Amos 9:6 | Psalm 103
Sep 21, 2003
South Central AK
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm slowly but surely gonna start eating kosher.

The Torah, given from God to Moses on Mount Sinai, imposes dietary restrictions that form the basis for kosher food requirements. Among these restrictions is a ban upon mixing meat and dairy products ("You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk"). Kosher animals are those that chew their own cud and have split hooves. Fish must have fins and scales. Fowl have a very detailed list of requirements.
Anyone else fall in this category?

Roald

Veteran
Aug 30, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
✟9,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
When I was a protestant, there was a time when I considered becoming kosher, but the New Testament talked me out of it. There is a thread in General Theology about understanding the sabbath that explains how the rules have changed.

I assume that you probably know that its not required of Christians, right? What makes you want to do it? There was a time when I thought that it would be more pleasing to God, but I decided that the hassle could be better spent in my life.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
TruthTraveler said:
I'm slowly but surely gonna start eating kosher.

Anyone else fall in this category?

Hi there!

:wave:

Well, slowly, but surely, buy yourself a second refrigerator and a second dishwasher because is the dishes are washed together or if the food is stored together, then it isn't kosher.

Fast food isn't such a problem, always selected the chicken sandwich and there will never be a problem. No more cheeseburgers. Personally, I like Jewish foods, and zatar and sumac are in my array of spices that are regularly used.... but I don't see the necessity of eating kosher although it does seem to help many people with digestive problems

I wish you well in your lifestyle change.

~malaka~

Upvote 0

TruthTraveler

Amos 9:6 | Psalm 103
Sep 21, 2003
South Central AK
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Protestant
"What makes you want to do it?"

Just to be healthy/er and 2 get the most out of this life.

It's not that hard just don't eat anything that will eat anything.

There are alot of health benefits to eating the foods that God said to eat.

II Corinthians 6:17-16
Hebrews 5:12-13 <<<>>>> www.notmilk.com

My diet so far is
Beef
Eggs
Chiken
Water/or 100% Juice
Vitamins/Supplements
some vegetables
Buttermilk(good for your digestive tract) 1-3 cups a week.

I avoid
Grains(corn, bread, cereal, rice, sugars, etc...)
"Man shall not live by bread alone but by EVERY word of God."

http://mercola.com
http://iknowthecause.com

As for fast food I like KFC or Wendy's since they both have Chiken/Chiken nuggets/Chiken Strips.

Upvote 0

cleopa_of_emmaus

FEAR PROFITS A MAN NOTHING
Sep 28, 2003
✟8,368.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a lot more to eating Kosher than not mixing milk with meat. I was dating a Jewish girl for a while. You have to wait six hours after eating meat before you can consume any dairy, because the Rabbis have decided that it takes six hours to digest meat. You can't eat anything that hasn't been certified as Kosher, because it may have been made in a process where dairy products and meat products are stored together, or processed through the same machines. The meat must be certified Kosher, and killed in the appropriate manner. No blood...and simply ordering everything well done doesn't cut it. You have to drink only Kosher certified grape juice, as well as only Kosher wine. It it isn't marked approved by the OU, then most orthodox jews won't buy it. There are a lot of products marked K for kosher, but they aren't kosher. After all, you can't trademark or copyright the letter K.

You have to chew Kosher gum, and have separate dishes, refrigerators, and dishwashers for dairy and meat products. You can't eat fast food, unless it's at a Kosher certified restaurant. If a restaurant sells dairy, it cannot sell meat and still be kosher, and if it sells meat, you won't find any dairy...otherwise...not kosher.

If you think that by not eating cheese on your burgers, and buying chicken sandwiches, you are sorely mistaken.

You're either Kosher or you're not. There is no middle ground.

~cleopa

Upvote 0

Lizzy16

The Lord is with Thee
Dec 11, 2003
Herzeliyah, Israel
✟15,301.00
Faith
Catholic
I am keeping Kosher most of the time, when I am at home (b/c sometimes I visit people who just don't eat kosher and that don't have anything else to give), but I am doing it because I was jewish and I am just used to it.

Roald said:
but I decided that the hassle could be better spent in my life.

it's not a hassle, trust me I know.

Upvote 0

Disciple 3

Feb 4, 2004
Florida
✟15,649.00
Faith
Catholic
Roald said:
When I was a protestant, there was a time when I considered becoming kosher, but the New Testament talked me out of it. There is a thread in General Theology about understanding the sabbath that explains how the rules have changed.

I assume that you probably know that its not required of Christians, right? What makes you want to do it? There was a time when I thought that it would be more pleasing to God, but I decided that the hassle could be better spent in my life.
There is no need to eat kosher at all. In acts 10:9-18 peter is hungry but has no food to eat. The lord appears to him in a vision and shows him all the beasts of the earth clean and "unclean", The lord says to peter, "Rise Peter kill and eat" Peters response to this was, "No Lord it cannot be so, for i have never eaten anything clean or uncommon" then Jesus says, "you must not call common what God has cleansed". So you see we are free to eat what we like, in good control of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
Disciple 3 said:
In acts 10:9-18 peter is hungry but has no food to eat. The lord appears to him in a vision and shows him all the beasts of the earth clean and "unclean", The lord says to peter, "Rise Peter kill and eat" Peters response to this was, "No Lord it cannot be so, for i have never eaten anything clean or uncommon" then Jesus says, "you must not call common what God has cleansed".

That Peter illustration is a good one. There's a Jesus illustration that does the same thing. In Mark 7:18-19 Jesus says, "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him unclean? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach and then out of his body." In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean."

(and if you want to see a great example of scatalogical humor from the lips of Jesus, read Mark 7:15 too)

Upvote 0

revelation1115

Nov 9, 2004
east coast, usa
Visit site
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I certainly believe the Dietary Laws are still meant to be followed. There is a difference between keeping the Dietary Laws of Leviticus 11 Deuteronomy 14 and being Jewish. However, it doesn't mean you have to follow the exact way the Jewish community does. Customs have changed over the years for the Jews.

You don't have to be Jewish to follow the 10 Commandments do you? Don't forget, we as Christians have been grafted onto the Jewish branch. The same God, the same Laws. No, not all laws are still valid, such as animal sacrifice.

Read the chapters yourself and decide. I have spent quite a bit of time reading and researching this very topic. I don't make it difficult. I don't eat pork or seafood. Nor anything else that is listed as unclean - not hard to do. However, I also don't see the need to keep seperate dishes or cutlery. There is a difference between custom kosher and not eating unclean animals.

God simply did not put every animal or plant on this earth for human consumtion. His revealing this to Moses was for our own health. It's a health issue. Pigs were and still are unclean to eat.

We in America love to say, "well, I'm not giving up my bacon." I can't imagine saying something like that to God. "Well God, I'm not about to give up adultery or lying because I've been doing it all my life and quite frankly, I enjoy it."

I won't go into every thing I have researched here, but if anyone is interested, I would be happy to share what I have found. At the same time, if you disagree with me, that is certainly fine too. I don't want an argument, but I will be happy to explain my opinion if you are really interested.

Upvote 0

malkin

Oct 20, 2004
✟396.00
Faith
Christian
Disciple 3 said:
There is no need to eat kosher at all. In acts 10:9-18 peter is hungry but has no food to eat. The lord appears to him in a vision and shows him all the beasts of the earth clean and "unclean", The lord says to peter, "Rise Peter kill and eat" Peters response to this was, "No Lord it cannot be so, for i have never eaten anything clean or uncommon" then Jesus says, "you must not call common what God has cleansed". So you see we are free to eat what we like, in good control of course.
I've seen that as being metaphorical for the Gentiles, and preaching to them...

There are 3 different opinions in the Bible about this matter.

Genesis 1:29-30, Proverbs 23:20, Isaiah 7:14-15, Psalm 145, Isaiah 11:6-9, Daniel 1:8, Romans 14:21, 1 Corinthians. 8:13 say that we should eat no kind of meat at all.

Deuteronomy:14:7-8 and Leviticus 11:2-4 say we can eat some kinds of meat,

and Genesis 9:3, Mark 7:18-20, the Acts verses Disciple 3 has quoted, 1 Corinthians. 10:25, Romans 14:2, Romans 14:14, 1 Timothy 4:1-4 say that we can eat any meats.

It can be considered that the Mark verse, attributed to Jesus, was inserted at a later date, because Peter ate with Jesus many times, and in Acts, when Peter was commanded to eat unclean animals, if Jesus had said that no animal was unclean, Peter would have remembered Jesus's instruction, and gone about eating, rather than objecting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
This is your conviction on the kosher diet, I would say that since the Lord has convicted you on the matter, follow Him. It may a health issue that you may not be aware of that He is and it is important for you to follow His leading on this matter. We are not to judge another man's convictions. Paul was willing to be vegetarian if it was necessary so not to offend anyone. Go with your convictions, follow your heart, let the Lord lead you into the life that is good for you. Be not troubled by those here on the forum and the varied opinions and advice. It is your life in Christ that lives, and it is important for you to follow God in this matter. This separating you with the conviction regarding becoming kosher, should be one that you carefully walk in, this is a new dietary lifestyle, that is like none other. It has a scriptural backing and is not like popular diets like Atkins which can come and go. This dietary advice comes from God. We do not know the future, and we do not know all the ins and outs of why God has adviced us according the the leviticus diet, but then who said we knew everything.

I Cor 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world I standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We do not have to eat kosher but if you want to go for it.

I couldn't give up pork or seafood. We buy our meat from the butcher and get cow/pigs/chickens that are not given antibotics and/or growth hormones and are free range. We are also try to buy our vegetables and fruits organicially grown. I do not think we have restrict our diet but we shouldn't be putting all the uneeded chemicals in our bodies.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
1 Timothy 4
1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.